Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tasmania is actually going through a boom period. It wouldn't surprise me if the AFL does move a team there in the near future.
IMG_8095.JPG

No Tasmanian draftees for first time since 1986

THE IMPROVED talent pool from New South Wales and Queensland and the allure of other sports were key reasons Tasmania did not have any draftees for the first time since 1986, state academy coach Adam Sanders says.

Making matters worse for the Apple Isle, next year is not expected to be a bountiful crop either.

Tasmania has had 16 players picked up in the past four years, in line with the benchmark the state sets for itself.

"It was obviously disappointing (to have no one drafted on Friday). We always tried to think four draftees each year from Tassie was a pretty good mark," Sanders told AFL.com.au.

"That's getting harder now with the northern states doing really well with their academies. There's certainly a stronger market over the whole country, so that makes it harder for Tassie."

The simple answer is they need to move a Melbourne team there or grant them a franchise, you wont see many more ardent footy fans than Tasmanians, I can attest to that

Moving North there would be a great move and get them m ore relevant and step out of the bigger clubs spotlight in Melbourne
Yep the afl need to step in now and save the basket case that is the north Melbourne football club.
The sooner the afl move them down to Tasmania the better

Can't find it online to link it too.
But an article in the weekend bulletin about how the signing of Cameron as list manager is expected to help sway lynch into signing on as his management team really rate Cameron's ability to recruit talent. After working with him at other clubs.

Yep the afl need to step in now and save the basket case that is the north Melbourne football club.
The sooner the afl move them down to Tasmania the better
Why do you think they approved the AFLW Tassie Kangaroos team and assigned their next generation academy to Tasmania? It's obvious the AFL want North to permanently relocate to Tasmania and will push hard for the Kangas to take over Hawthorn's Launceston deal when it expires in 2021. They'll probably use the carrot of a statewide academy (the same as the northern academies), new facilities and cash incentives to convince the Roos that it's a good idea to move 7-8 home games a year to Tasmania. The number of home games will gradually grow as the AFL continues to offer incentives and eventually it'll make sense for North to permanently relocate. That serves the goal of a permanently based team in Tasmania and removing a Victorian club from the already oversaturated Melbourne market.

If anyone thinks North are less likely to relocate to Tasmania than the Suns, they are kidding themselves.

Why do you think they approved the AFLW Tassie Kangaroos team and assigned their next generation academy to Tasmania? It's obvious the AFL want North to permanently relocate to Tasmania and will push hard for the Kangas to take over Hawthorn's Launceston deal when it expires in 2021. They'll probably use the carrot of a statewide academy (the same as the northern academies), new facilities and cash incentives to convince the Roos that it's a good idea to move 7-8 home games a year to Tasmania. The number of home games will gradually grow as the AFL continues to offer incentives and eventually it'll make sense for North to permanently relocate. That serves the goal of a permanently based team in Tasmania and removing a Victorian club from the already oversaturated Melbourne market.

If anyone thinks North are less likely to relocate to Tasmania than the Suns, they are kidding themselves.

Exactly
All the groundwork is there
It makes so much sense
Eddy's chins might wobble though- creating a new AFL powerhouse that will create a dynasty of unending premierships;)

Sorry for not being a glass half full type after watching 7 years of our club being really poorly run. I stuck up for the club in here more than most early days. Eventually you realise that we have stuffed up off the field in most areas. Yes I have been critical of Ashcroft and Clayton and I guess I’m not alone as they’ve been moved on.
But to suggest I’m not loyal to the club is disrespectful and an insult, and that I am happiest when we fail is ridiculous. You seem to get personal whenever others disagree with you.
Keep trolling though, don’t let me get in the way.

I look forward to the day when you have something good to say. So far all I've read from you is negative commentary on everything from players and coaches to outgoing management and the newish CEO. There are a lot of things you don't like about the club, which you aren't backward about putting into writing, but I disagree with just about all of it because it is just petulant. It wouldn't really bother me except you seem to take relish in trying to shut down every single discussion point I raise. You're the one trolling in this instance and that's why I question your loyalty.

I look forward to the day when you have something good to say. So far all I've read from you is negative commentary on everything from players and coaches to outgoing management and the newish CEO. There are a lot of things you don't like about the club, which you aren't backward about putting into writing, but I disagree with just about all of it because it is just petulant. It wouldn't really bother me except you seem to take relish in trying to shut down every single discussion point I raise. You're the one trolling in this instance and that's why I question your loyalty.
Wow.. welcome to the forum!!!

Bang

No negative commentary about Cochrane or Evans from me. No negative comments about Lynch, May, Swallow, Martin, Witts, Lyons, Barlow, Ah Chee, Scrimshaw, most of the others in fact.
Nothing negative about Solomon, Lovell, Cordy.
Negative about Eade, Ashcroft, Clayton..... and guess what????
3 trips a year from Victoria to watch the boys, a membership down here and you question my loyalty.
I won't bite any further because you're simply trolling.
What was your previous name on here out of interest?

Tell me this Mr Bods, what would a typical post of yours look like in 2009/2010 regarding the Titans?

P.S. Can't believe that was nearly 10 years ago.

2009/2010 my posts were very positive in the The Titans Forum.
The days of Presto/Mat Rogers/Scott Prince were good times. That team had the ability to Hang in there in games even when they were a bit outclassed and would pull off Amazing wins plus their style of football constantly shifting the footy out wide was entertaining to watch too.

Really booming?

How so?
Basically, it's property market is growing faster than any other state in the country at the moment - and by quite a large margin. It's forecast to continue growing at that rate, too.

This isn't to say the Suns should move to Tasmania; this is more-so in response to the idea that Tasmania are a good fit for an AFL team from a money POV due to its growing market. Obviously, North Melbourne would be a lot better suited than the Suns to move there (this is clearly the AFL's intention). Personally, I think the Hawks are better suited for the move to Tasmania considering the work their club has done in fostering fans and a very strong base there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Basically, it's property market is growing faster than any other state in the country at the moment - and by quite a large margin. It's forecast to continue growing at that rate, too.

This isn't to say the Suns should move to Tasmania; this is more-so in response to the idea that Tasmania are a good fit for an AFL team from a money POV due to its growing market. Obviously, North Melbourne would be a lot better suited than the Suns to move there (this is clearly the AFL's intention). Personally, I think the Hawks are better suited for the move to Tasmania considering the work their club has done in fostering fans and a very strong base there.

If the AFL is content with attendances between 10k-20k then there’s no dramas with further relocations or expansions.
It just needs to use the fact that they control a monopoly to tighten player power with free agency and trading.

I don't want to be seen as always negative.. but Tasmania would struggle with player retention issues & probably even more than we do.
TV rights also dictate where the game is going and run, and Tasmanians already watch AFL. There is no new market for them like GC & GWS were.
They should at least have some type of academy and a TAC Cup team as the talent is not coming through at the moment. The AFL will continue to give the topic lip service, but I can't see it happening and I doubt any team will volunteer to relocate there.

I don't want to be seen as always negative.. but Tasmania would struggle with player retention issues & probably even more than we do.
TV rights also dictate where the game is going and run, and Tasmanians already watch AFL. There is no new market for them like GC & GWS were.
They should at least have some type of academy and a TAC Cup team as the talent is not coming through at the moment. The AFL will continue to give the topic lip service, but I can't see it happening and I doubt any team will volunteer to relocate there.

Enough of this negativity about negativity.
I find negative posts much more entertaining than people attempting to make a Sows Ear sound like its a Silk Purse.

Agree, i don't know any young person that would want to live in Tassie over GC.

True, but that's now - as I said, Tasmania's market is booming and growing at a greater rate than any other state in Australia at this time. Personally, I grew up in Hervey Bay (the Fraser Coast). Hervey Bay is practically unrecognisable from when I was growing up, having doubled in population (more-so after factoring in tourism). In ten or twenty years time, Hobart won't be recognisable, either.

Caroline Wilson's War = move the Suns franchise to Tasmania
It is such a stupid idea that you have to wonder what goes on in the Age Editorial meetings.
In the first 2 months of this season, Caro went from saying Ablett was the best player of his generation, then after Round 2 he was finished and should retire, but a week later he was back and by Week 4 he would win the Brownlow. She's hated the Suns since they were GC17 because she shipped the GC Kangaroos proposal. It has become her pet project to push the Suns relocation, but blind Freddie knows she's barking mad. Talented writer, but a masterful fantasy conjuror with a singular resilience to be able to shake off blowback when she's wrong because she's pretty much wrong on a weekly basis and just doesn't care.

Tasmania is utterly unsuitable for a permanent AFL team for a host of reasons. Hobart's population is 200K and Launceston is half that. GC has 600k permanent residents and a tourist population far exceeding that. York Park and Bellerive have 20K capacities, while Metricon will have 35K in 2018. The Kangaroos have the same reputation in Tassie as they did on the Goldie before they rejected the $111 million proposal to relocate. Tasmanians don't want another town's failed team, they want their own AFL team even though the whole State's population is smaller than Geelong's or the Gold Coast's. Hawthorn are very popular down there because they hardly ever lose a match, a feat they can't hope to maintain forever, but they will never relocate even if they got 10 straight spoons.

Fluff piece on afl.com talking about Lynch doing a dusty, and holding out for the entire year. The piece by Michael Whiting has zero facts in it and is full of speculation, the weakest journalism there is

Strap yourself in, it's going to be a long year ahead.

Fluff piece on afl.com talking about Lynch doing a dusty, and holding out for the entire year. The piece by Michael Whiting has zero facts in it and is full of speculation, the weakest journalism there is

To be fair if I was lynchy I would be doing this , dusty went from a contract offer of 700-800k to 1.2-1.3 mil by backing himself in , having a great year and setting himself up for life .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back