Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's important to distinguish between an environment Barlow personally enjoyed and one that was conducive to success. It's entirely possible he appreciated the low pressure environment the GC had to offer a professional footballer and realised later down the track that it was actually counter productive to winning football games. He'd only ever played football in Melbourne and Perth prior to joining us so it would have been a unique experience for him when he joined us.

I was first clued on to the lack of external pressure having a detrimental effect on the team a few years ago when Paul Roos explained the differences between coaching the Demons and the Swans. He essentially said it wasn't as important to hammer home accountability with the Melbourne players after a loss because they'd already read about it in the papers/heard it from the supporters while walking through the streets on Sunday and/or Monday morning. Obviously this wouldn't have been the case in Sydney and that's why I believe it's very important for us to adopt as much of the Swans model as possible to have sustained success. We've struggled to drive internal standards/accountability on a week-to-week basis and I firmly believe that's one of the biggest reasons we've never finished higher than 12th on the ladder.
You make a good case, but again these are things that Barlow is talking about now that he he knew before he signed.
How does this idea translate to Fremantle, who have been the joke of the League for 24 years, coming to life in two brief peaks only to crash back to the bottom? Last time I looked Freo have the same media, the same people and the same State, therefore wouldn't the Eagles suffer the same malaise?
I think Paul Roos made his comments in the context of Melbourne and Sydney in order to motivate his players. Some of them got the message and others have been moved on. Look at their savage list cuts last year and compare the team's attitude now. Roos laid the foundations and his successors have built on it. Melbourne are the new Bulldogs/Tigers, coming home hot to win the flag.
I remember when the Demons finally made a Grand Final in the 80s and my step-dad's mother came over to watch it. She was Demons and he was a renounced Tigers supporter. I learnt all about Robbie Flower and Jim Stynes from the old witch (she used to give us lollies that would make our teeth fall out). When the Demons lost, she sighed and said "Ah well, there's always next year." That memory is 29 years old and she is still alive and kicking (I told you she was a witch) in her 90s and if the Dees lose this week or next she'll still be sanguine about it. It's the Melbourne Demons way. The ones old enough to remember the glory days don't care. They've seen the best ever and winning anything else is for the young ones.

Hawthorn great Terry Wallace has revealed that the AFL Commission will allow struggling clubs priority access to the best talent outside the AFL system prior to the draft.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/09/20/struggling-clubs-to-get-priority-access-wallace/
How could Wallace have thought the priority access to mature-agers would be after the draft? What help would that be? If it's going to be any help, it has to be before the draft. It really needs extra list spots & salary cap for those players as well. It will be interesting to see what announcements come out of the AFL Commission's meeting on Brownlow Medal day.

How could Wallace have thought the priority access to mature-agers would be after the draft? What help would that be? If it's going to be any help, it has to be before the draft. It really needs extra list spots & salary cap for those players as well. It will be interesting to see what announcements come out of the AFL Commission's meeting on Brownlow Medal day.
That was my initial question as this isn't a new revelation at all. For some time the AFL have said they would be going down this path, but I suspect the confusion has been over how they might go about doing it.

Seeing this, I think Wallace means he thought that it would be after the National Draft, possibly in the Pre Season Draft which is where they really should be doing it. The thing is that anybody can nominate for the National Draft, even bloody Tom Lynch if things go south. The past few years have seen these types getting picked in the ND or Rookie Draft, neither of which are really equipped for such players. The ND should be purely for emerging talent and the RD should be for remaining player from Talent Academies to fill vacant Rookie List spots.

Resurrecting the Pre Season Draft, or replacing it, would be an ideal way of getting recycled players back into the AFL. Seeding this kind of thing in such a way that clubs could nominate who they want to take, including delisted AFL players, would take place before the ND and the event itself would just be a formality.

Personally, I think the AFL should go back to having a proper Reserves competition so that fringe players could have more job security and player movement needn't be so complicated.

Still waiting for fulsome apology for this s**t post.
You will be waiting a very long time for that. Michael Barlow is no longer a Sun and it was the best news I've heard all season. He is speaking to any reporter who will listen and having a huge piss and moan in newspapers and radio - not much of a head for TV, but doubtless we'll see him there too. The bloke has been paid a large sum of money to play 15 AFL games out of a possible 44 games and yet he still wants to whine about his treatment. What a Primadonna!

You will be waiting a very long time for that. Michael Barlow is no longer a Sun and it was the best news I've heard all season. He is speaking to any reporter who will listen and having a huge piss and moan in newspapers and radio - not much of a head for TV, but doubtless we'll see him there too. The bloke has been paid a large sum of money to play 15 AFL games out of a possible 44 games and yet he still wants to whine about his treatment. What a Primadonna!
That's a bit harsh. He broke his leg last year & had his face smashed in this year, but was still good enough to play more than the 15 games we gave him. I have no doubt he'd have performed better than some of the blokes we blooded this year, but the selectors chose to blood those guys instead. I'm not knocking the selectors, but Barlow didn't get the opportunities his form warranted.

That's a bit harsh. He broke his leg last year & had his face smashed in this year, but was still good enough to play more than the 15 games we gave him. I have no doubt he'd have performed better than some of the blokes we blooded this year, but the selectors chose to blood those guys instead. I'm not knocking the selectors, but Barlow didn't get the opportunities his form warranted.
His 2017 form was great and we won 5 games in the 12 he played - which could have been 7 if we'd won the 1st and 12th. Suns were not the same team with him and others out injured. However, Barlow did not come back in 2018 the same player. I watched most of the NEAFL games he played in and he was slow, racked up junk time possessions and most of his opponents were teenagers. The three times he was selected in the AFL side his lack of pace showed that he's past it.
I have talked about the good things Barlow has done this year, but I'm buggered if I'll apologise to a delusional Dockers fan on my own team's board about my comments condemning Barlow's sour grapes. It's called doubling down. I've written and spoken on the podcast about it enough that people know what I think, but most of all people can think for themselves.

His 2017 form was great and we won 5 games in the 12 he played - which could have been 7 if we'd won the 1st and 12th. Suns were not the same team with him and others out injured. However, Barlow did not come back in 2018 the same player. I watched most of the NEAFL games he played in and he was slow, racked up junk time possessions and most of his opponents were teenagers. The three times he was selected in the AFL side his lack of pace showed that he's past it.
I have talked about the good things Barlow has done this year, but I'm buggered if I'll apologise to a delusional Dockers fan on my own team's board about my comments condemning Barlow's sour grapes. It's called doubling down. I've written and spoken on the podcast about it enough that people know what I think, but most of all people can think for themselves.
Fair enough. I will continue to think you are being too harsh in your assessment of his 2018 form. I do enjoy reading your posts though. Go Suns!

I'm a Barlow fan - love what he has achieved - especially given his injury record.
Regards his recent interviews - I think he's been asked leading questions aimed at getting an anti Suns response. IMO he's tried hard to stay objective and answer truthfully .
Regards his football - he was a player in the wrong place at the wrong time with us . He is an icing on the cake player - bit like Mayne was for Collingwood last night.
A new coach undertaking a rebuild doesn't need these types when trying to fully assess a young list. Starting a new journey - teams are not fully invested in winning games. Yes - Barlow may have helped win the Suns more games - but he wouldn't be around when the 'new' team was getting towards finals.
Deep down I think he knew this himself - and he's now probably wishing he went to Adelaide rather than the Suns after leaving Fremantle.
That said - he's done nothing to deserve a hard time on this board...

I'm a Barlow fan - love what he has achieved - especially given his injury record.
Regards his recent interviews - I think he's been asked leading questions aimed at getting an anti Suns response. IMO he's tried hard to stay objective and answer truthfully .
Regards his football - he was a player in the wrong place at the wrong time with us . He is an icing on the cake player - bit like Mayne was for Collingwood last night.
A new coach undertaking a rebuild doesn't need these types when trying to fully assess a young list. Starting a new journey - teams are not fully invested in winning games. Yes - Barlow may have helped win the Suns more games - but he wouldn't be around when the 'new' team was getting towards finals.
Deep down I think he knew this himself - and he's now probably wishing he went to Adelaide rather than the Suns after leaving Fremantle.
That said - he's done nothing to deserve a hard time on this board...
That's probably a great assessment of what happened with Micky B - to be fair I don't think he would have got a look in at The Crows in 2017 so probably best he ended up with us to extend his career at least 2 years more

Did i hear right?...trade radio suggestion that Jack Martin has requested a trade?? And Jarrod Roughy to the GC!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did i hear right?...trade radio suggestion that Jack Martin has requested a trade?? And Jarrod Roughy to the GC!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
IF this is true we may as well close the doors. Something must stink to high. Heaven at the club. Lynch, May, Martin. I know the last 2 are not confirmed but May was sooking around for the last month of the season so he’s not happy.

And why the * would we want Roughy, may as well ask Dunstall to come out some retirement

IF this is true we may as well close the doors. Something must stink to high. Heaven at the club. Lynch, May, Martin. I know the last 2 are not confirmed but May was sooking around for the last month of the season so he’s not happy.

And why the **** would we want Roughy, may as well ask Dunstall to come out some retirement
Need successful leaders to help teach young players. He's a 4 time premiership player and probably has 1-2 years left before a transition into coaching...would be good move if they can get him.

afl.com.au article saying Blues and Suns have access to a State League player outside of the Draft. Reportedly, the Suns wanted 3. TBC

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-24/afl-gives-blues-suns-special-access-to-state-league-players
Personally, I think we are getting a little bit screwed here. Carlton finished last because they've got terrible management and despite having more priority picks than anybody. The Suns finished 2nd last because Victorian clubs keep poaching our best players and our average list age is getting younger each year. Does this mean we have to choose behind Carlton in everything including concessions and priority picks? Hoping it means the AFL is giving a succession of sops to the Blues before everyone is blown away by the Suns getting #1 priority pick in the Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back