Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Member

Senior List
Mar 19, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm in two (or maybe three!) minds about how to approach bench management.

First approach would be to spend as little as possible, ie. 8 x circa $90k players. Obviously you try and pick those that are going to play, appreciate and add depth. Rationale for this is maximising your 22's ability to score by ensuring its quality isn't diluted by the bench.

Second approach would be to pay a little bit more for some certainty in depth, say have a $150k and a $90k player so that you can rotate your $150k player (with value upside) into the 22 if necessary. The main reason behind this approach would be to minimise the need to trade early on - a key to performing well later in the season and winning leagues.

Final approach that I don't really like is spending up even bigger on your bench, with guys like Lappin and Darcy ($200k+) that have value upside and could be moved into the 22 for underperforming starters. As an extreme of the second approach, I think this goes too far and weakens your team overall.

Thoughts?

i like the idea of having a player around 150k on the bench. I don't want to stretch my starting 22 too much, but should the 150k player increase in value early in the season it does give you a bit extra to play with. With the 8 x 90k players it's going to be hard to get a lot of points from them as they won't play a great deal of footy. And the last option i wouldn't bother with for the reasons you pointed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back