Opinion Supporter Attitude

Remove this Banner Ad

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not sure if it is just me, the game style we are playing or it is the result of the 2016 flag and expecting more but I do not seem to have same passion this season. I am a social club member and go to all the games I can and even went to the Adelaide game.

We have been down the bottom plenty of times before when I and everyone expected a lot more but still had a lot of more passion.

At present

I hate our game style even if we were are getting beaten by the same margin and kicking 12 to 14 goals it would be more enjoyable.

Selection we just keep rotating the same players who will not make it (lucky we have Naughton and Richards).

The Lions have won one game but have provided more buzz for the their fans.

We need some excitement something like a Boyd or Schache to kick a bag or play the way we did in Bevo's first season or Eade's earlier tenure. But that is not going to happen.

we won a flag a few years ago, im sure everybody thought we would be contending for years

i guess a lot of fans dont have time for this rebuilding s**t again.
especially when most of the players are going backwards

Not sure if it is just me, the game style we are playing or it is the result of the 2016 flag and expecting more but I do not seem to have same passion this season. I am a social club member and go to all the games I can and even went to the Adelaide game.

We have been down the bottom plenty of times before when I and everyone expected a lot more but still had a lot of more passion.

At present

I hate our game style even if we were are getting beaten by the same margin and kicking 12 to 14 goals it would be more enjoyable.

Selection we just keep rotating the same players who will not make it (lucky we have Naughton and Richards).

The Lions have won one game but have provided more buzz for the their fans.

We need some excitement something like a Boyd or Schache to kick a bag or play the way we did in Bevo's first season or Eade's earlier tenure. But that is not going to happen.

Strongly negative correlation between post content and username...

I have been thinking about this for a while, I don’t think we are that far away. It just seems like it. I will try to write more later if I can.

I can't help but feel it is all to do with tasting the heights.

Maybe prolonged periods of not being good enough is the not the true test of a fans passion.

Maybe it is failure after success which really tests you.

It is understandable as well. When you are in the pits for a long time, you are used to those players not being great. Any flashes of brilliance are rewarding. When, like us, you have seen a lot of these players conquer the rest, it can be hard to reconcile them putting in sub-par performances and failing to execute basic skills. Maybe a lot of fans are simply sick of being disappointed when they expect better. Why invest your time and passion if the team is not? I note you are not alone in expressing your opinion that you aren't that into the current side.

Agree with others, the high that we tasted as supporters was unparalleled. I would even go as far as saying that the pure pleasure from our flag would have been more than any other club or typical flag win. In a way it was like a drug, in that we will always be chasing that high again which will never come.

Along with the fact we play a boring as batshit game style, higher expectations, cannot score, have very little X factor and footy in general being on the downtrend makes for a massive struggle as a Bulldogs supporter this year.

I'm just not into us this year at all. I've still attended 6 games and plan to attend every one I can so I won't stop supporting the team.

I get the disappointment of a seeming rebuild so soon after the ultimate triumph, you'd have to be an alien to have not to have some element of it as you watch us struggle to win in nearly every game. It does feel like we have blown a major opportunity to get a real foothold of support in the mainstream (further ensuring our longterm prosperity) after all the goodwill and energy that was coming our way following the flag.

But the objective side of me can recognise that both the game (no third man up, opposition going to school on our handball style defending it better and producing a more efficient version of it) and we (massive loss in personal who were critical to our flag in short order) have changed rapidly. It has been said before but I think its very true, Bevo was able to win a flag with mostly McCartney's and the last vestiges of Rocket's teams. We are really experiencing now what we logically should have experienced in 15' and 16' but due to a brief truly magnificent renaissance and brilliant game plan that fitted our personal and the way that the game was played we never did.

Its all a bit of punch to gut after that beautiful sweet taste of success, but when I see Ed Richards, Aaron Naughton, Bailey Williams and hell really squint and take really optimistic look at even Josh Schache I can see the possibility of a road back. So for me personally the passion is still there, the motivation to watch us play every week is still very high even though I know the in short term its going to be tough in terms of results (I don't believe the cull of premiership players is over exactly but that is for a different thread). I think there are reasons to hope, be optimistic and passionate even if they aren't obvious on the face of things.

Last edited:
It's really the ad hoc selections and lack of clear game style and future structural development that concerns me most.

We are not picking teams that allow for both development and the opportunity to win which means a hollow feeling win or lose.

Change that around and alot of supporters will stay and get on board

What i wouldn’t give for some decent highlights though. Stringer might not have been the most defensive player we had, but it made the rest of the day after a loss not so bad when you could sit and watch his highlights. Was even better after a win.

I don't think it is a game style issue (if we even have one of those) because we are actually trying to attack most of the time (ranked 5th for F50 entries). We are just hopeless at converting F50 entries into goals (ranked 18th).

Out inability to convert F50 entries to goals is just depressing at the moment. Nothing has improved in half a season to date and I can't see anything much changing before the end of the year either.

I don't know if it is a player or coach problem - it is probably both.

I'm just not excited about going to watch us turn it over 40+ times a game inside our F50 area. This is the biggest downer for me every time I for watch us play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m still just as passionate and I think you are too hence creating this thread. I think a lot of us are just frustrated at the drop we’ve had and this season is a hell of a lot worse than last as there has been a few games where the effort and intent hasn’t been where it should be. Short term pain for long term gain is how I see it. Well be back. Very confident it’ll start clicking later this season.

It’s really depressing but if you take a handful of antidepressants and drink a beer and then rewatch the first half of the Melbourne and Collingwood games we showed some really good signs. I think it’s important to note that we stopped at halftime in each game. We weren’t beaten by far superior teams... we just stopped and let it happen. We played great against Sydney and would have won if Dunkley had of taken that unopposed chest mark in the goalsquare.
I’ve said it before... there is a heartbeat there. We just need a few things to click and for the team to turn up for the second half. It is really bloody hard but we’ve got to stay positive. You’ll feel vindicated and a shitload better when we beat Port tomorrow night ; )

It’s mostly frustration we haven’t progressed enough since 2015/16. Sides that were bog average have gone past us & they still aren’t that good. Most of the key elements are there, but the perceived lack of effort stands out when the skills are down. The supporters who care greatly about the club make this known.

Don't know where else to post this but I was HUGELY disappointed that Dunkley's number was changed from the PREMIERSHIP WINNING 20, to 5. I also think giving Young number 2 was premature. Imo Naughton should have had 2 and Richards 5 - if they turned out to be a bust so be it, but it's not looking that way.

Doggies will be back mate, stop stressin'

In the mean time just pick up a new hobby to get passionate about. I've been learning ventriloquism.
Gottle of gear.....

il_340x270.1056533512_o8gc.jpg

Doggies will be back mate, stop stressin'

In the mean time just pick up a new hobby to get passionate about. I've been learning ventriloquism.

New hobby is the Socceroos at moment. Never really been into soccer except the Aussies in the World Cup. Lets face it watching the Aussie cricket team at the moment is worst the watching the dogs.

New hobby is the Socceroos at moment. Never really been into soccer except the Aussies in the World Cup. Lets face it watching the Aussie cricket team at the moment is worst the watching the dogs.

OptimisticDog suggest having a second team (mine is Belgium) so that you can still enjoy the ride once the Socceroos are unfortunately out (which realistically could be a few games time).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back