Analysis Swans General Performance 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Figured more relevant here than media thread;

The baton has well and truly changed hands at Sydney, Logan McDonald taking the reins from retired champion Lance Franklin. The ladder-leading Swans are building a young, formidable forward line, with Joel Amartey and Hayden McLean supporting McDonald this year. Tom Papley popped up last year, while the 2022 combination was Franklin, Isaac Heeney and Sam Reid.

Isn't earth shattering news but an indication of how we have reshaped the team on the run.
Many saw it coming, some excited, some hopeful, some fearful but I think now that it's here we should all agree that it's working pretty well (% anyone?) and has improvement left in it.

It rarely if ever happens, but if all players on the list were available this would be my team based on form so far this season and overall team balance. Can hardly believe I can't find a spot for at least one of Adams or Parker in the 22. But to keep the dynamic and less dour style of our play ongoing this season and for balance of the team, both just miss out. One of them is possibly sub.

Back 7: McCartin - Melican - Rampe - Blakey - Florent - Cunningham - Fox

Middle 8: Grundy - Warner - Heeney - Mills - Rowbottom - Gulden - McInerney - Lloyd

Forward 7: Amartey - McDonald - McLean - Hayward - Papley - Wicks - Jordon

No spot either for Campbell or Roberts. One of four along with Parker and Adams would be the 23rd man (sub). Take your pick? I'd possibly go with Parker. What a hard team to break into and stay in. There's also Sheldrick beyond those already mentioned.

Also no spot for taller options such as Francis, Ladhams, Hamling or Reid (if he was ever fit enough).

That's 31 players who I wouldn't mind being in my top 22 or 23. Most ever in my 40 years of following the Swans. A few preferably as backup only but all having shown something at senior level at the least.

I liked what Fox provided as a defensive type forward earlier in the season too. if the match up made it a viable option, he can go into the forward 7, Jordon back into the mids and McInerney back to defence. Would leave Lloyd on the wing where I have liked his play more this year.

Some might think we need at least one of Parker or Adams in the middle as a hard nut but in Heeney, Rowbottom and Mills I think are covered well enough in that area, while being more athletic and having more flair at the same time.

How different would your "ideal" team be if all fit?

EDIT: Will keep a note of this team and thread and am curious to see how much I would change it (or not) in say one, two and three months time.

Last edited:
It rarely if ever happens, but if all players on the list were available this would be my team based on form so far this season and overall team balance. Can hardly believe I can't find a spot for at least one of Adams or Parker in the 22. But to keep the dynamic and less dour style of our play ongoing this season and for balance of the team, both just miss out. One of them is possibly sub.

Middle 8: Grundy - Warner - Heeney - Mills - Rowbottom - Gulden - McInerney - Lloyd

No spot either for Campbell or Roberts. One of four along with Parker and Adams would be the 23rd man (sub). Take your pick? I'd possibly go with Parker. What a hard team to break into and stay in. There's also Sheldrick beyond those already mentioned.

Also no spot for taller options such as Francis, Ladhams, Hamling or Reid (if he was ever fit enough).

That's 31 players who I wouldn't mind being in my top 22 or 23. Most ever in my 40 years of following the Swans. A few preferably as backup only but all having shown something at senior level at the least.

I liked what Fox provided as a defensive type forward earlier in the season too. if the match up made it a viable option, he can go into the forward 7, Jordon back into the mids and McInerney back to defence. Would leave Lloyd on the wing where I have liked his play more this year.

Some might think we need at least one of Parker or Adams in the middle as a hard nut but in Heeney, Rowbottom and Mills I think are covered well enough in that area, while being more athletic and having more flair at the same time.

Agree with most of that! Only difference I would make would be to have Mills in defence instead (in Fox's place), then have Adams or Parker in the midfield (in Mills' place), then have Fox as the sub, just because of his versatility.

Agree with most of that! Only difference I would make would be to have Mills in defence instead (in Fox's place), then have Adams or Parker in the midfield (in Mills' place), then have Fox as the sub, just because of his versatility.
Yep, that was pretty much my second option. With the midfield doing well, wouldn't mind Mills back there in defence but chose to keep him in the mids in the end. And like you, think Fox is a good option at either end.

I think we're still a little vulnerable to getting beaten up around contests. And if the team can't get their hands on the ball at the source, they can't get to the outside and set the beautiful play in motion. We also need a strong, hardened body or two to consistently apply the pressure required for the turn-over game.

I haven't been blown away by Adams's contributions every match but he's added some steel around the scramble since he's been back. I thought last week's game against Carlton was his best, and that was when the team was at its clearance-best. So I like the role he's playing, but I'm not wedded to him. I think Parker could come in and contribute just as much. When he's allowed to, that is.

Mills could maybe add some of that too. But he's a different kind of midfielder again from the Adams/Parker type, or the Heeney/Warner type. I'm looking forward to his return but I think there are a number of roles he could play. As well as onball, wing, half-back etc, he could come in and do the kinds of role that Jordon has been doing thus far. Not that I'm looking to get rid of Jordon, but if he gets injured or his form drops late in the year, Mills does provide an alternative.

I think we're still a little vulnerable to getting beaten up around contests. And if the team can't get their hands on the ball at the source, they can't get to the outside and set the beautiful play in motion. We also need a strong, hardened body or two to consistently apply the pressure required for the turn-over game.

I haven't been blown away by Adams's contributions every match but he's added some steel around the scramble since he's been back. I thought last week's game against Carlton was his best, and that was when the team was at its clearance-best. So I like the role he's playing, but I'm not wedded to him. I think Parker could come in and contribute just as much. When he's allowed to, that is.

Mills could maybe add some of that too. But he's a different kind of midfielder again from the Adams/Parker type, or the Heeney/Warner type. I'm looking forward to his return but I think there are a number of roles he could play. As well as onball, wing, half-back etc, he could come in and do the kinds of role that Jordon has been doing thus far. Not that I'm looking to get rid of Jordon, but if he gets injured or his form drops late in the year, Mills does provide an alternative.
My logic with Mills to defence was that it could strengthen us down back both in the present (in case a McCartin or Melican go down - and both are prone to missing games) and in the future (Rampe is still our "general" type, but is nearly 34...)

But I'm also with you, I think we can always do with a bit more contested strength in the midfield, which Mills can provide. I guess I just think our contested core (Grundy + Heeney & Rowbottom) are building something really nice. I thought they weren't so much last night, but as I mentioned in the autopsy thread, I think Rowbottom being off his game had a lot to do with that. So I think that if Mills was to come into the mids, it would likely be at one of their expense of some of their inside rotations, rather than one of Warner or Gulden's. And not sure I want that.

Positional versatility has been a real focus of the team this season. Everyone is expected to be able to cover for multiple positions. Even the key defenders need to be able to distribute by foot like a half back, the key forwards need to be able to chase and pressure like a small forward. Forwards are expected to defend as a unit the same way that defenders are given license to run forward and kick for goal.
There's a real focus on playing your part got the team rather than playing your position for the team which really seems to have been bought into by the entire squad. Hopefully moving forward when injuries inevitably hit we won't be as badly affected as players will be able to cover multiple positions and team mates will be able to reduce the deficit of the missing player.

EDIT: Will keep a note of this team and thread and am curious to see how much I would change it (or not) in say one, two and three months time.
Like your thinking overall. A couple of alternatives that MIGHT be better (would add experience at least):
A) Mills replaces Fox or Cunningham in the back 7 depending on the opposition. Either would be dead unlucky. This would create room for Parker or Adams in the mids. So far, we have been resting mids forward (Warner, Adams even Rowy) and that has worked well and should continue.
B) He has been going well but will Jordon hold up in the back half of the year? Will his role? If not, bring Mills into the mids and push Warner and Rowbottom into a rotating role as the 7th forward.
C) Combine A and B.
The difference to your pick is pretty incremental but I do think we need one of Parker or Adams in the team, though not necessarily both.
Injuries of course will make fools of us both.

Yeah like I was saying, I wouldn't mind Mills down back as opposed to in the mids at all. Toss up for me. And any of those combos look good. Great to have a squad with those decisions to make.

Over the last 2 weeks I've noticed us being called play on very quickly after a mark or free kick. Not when we've moved off the mark, just when a player is looking around, or turning their upper body left to right looking for a possible option.

At the risk of sounding like a crank, I'm wondering with the if the focus from the few weeks previous on us "taking advantage" of the stand rule has had an impact.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did anyone notice that even though The Swans didn't play this weekend, they're now further ahead of the 2nd and 3rd placed teams who's premiership points stayed the same, but their % decreased
How bloody good are the Swans going!

Did anyone notice that even though The Swans didn't play this weekend, they're now further ahead of the 2nd and 3rd placed teams who's premiership points stayed the same, but their % decreased
How bloody good are the Swans going!

Did we beat the Bye?

Just have to say I'm in awe of what we've been able to produce to this point in the season.

We have a game in hand and are equal on points with the next best attacking side, Carlton, who have the best key forward combo in the league - winning the last 3 Coleman's between them.

Followed by Geelong who have the 2 prior coleman medallists. Although Hawkins and Cameron have both struggled this year for different reasons.

Considering we're working with 3 still-developing tall forwards, its pretty impreasive what the mids and other forwards have been able to contribute by way of goals.

Last time we had this spread of goal scoring was 2012. Only we didn't have the overall dominant season we're currently having.

Hats off to the lads... I've loved this season so far.

Screenshot_20240608_203845_AFL.jpg

I am always nervous when we come off a bye, and there has been so much praise for the team by virtually all AFL commentators, that I am worried we may drink the coolaid and not come to play.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

With the minor premiership all sewn up, the only thing that matters now is having us peak for the finals.

I really really hope our fitness staff, nutritionists etc are working on a tailored plan to have our best 23 cherry ripe for the finals.

Yes I called an undefeated year this year but if there is even a skerrick of niggle, players should be managed - even if it risks a loss.

We also need a plan for Mills and Parker to get match fit - we are bound to get injuries so need whoever slots in / out to be ready to go.

In addition, we can experiment if there any new coaching tactics and see how they go.

Geelong did this in 22, we need to take note.

Will be interesting, Adams is clearly managed during games to avoid injury, spends time on the pine, will be similar for Mills,

If we are ever resting, Grundy is an obvious one, give Ladhams game time, in case

Remove this Banner Ad

Back