Swans NAB Challenge 2015 Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're not seriously drawing any conclusions on Malceski after 1 NAB game, are you?

Did I not say 'going by his NAB hit out' ? I can barely draw a stick figure, let alone a conclusion.

No harm in hoping he peaked in 2014. That'd be a win-win for he and us, with the only loser being GC.

Meters gained is only useful if it isn't turned over. Macca and Jetta hit more targets whereas Mal is sometimes a bit wayward going forward. Personally, I think we'll cover him just fine and gain a little more flexibility to boot. Would we have him back in a heartbeat ? I guess that depends on how well Horse thinks he can cover him. The preseason should have given some indication. If Horse feels we can cover the role then he might well hesitate to pay big bucks to an ageing player.

Malceski's role gave him a lot of opportunity to run and deliver (Macca played the role just as well, winning AA). IMO Malceski ran the risk of becoming a one-trick pony (very good trick though it was) and I'm not so sure his role would continue to be valued in a game more driven by player flexibility. His role at GC will be as much about structuring and leading the defence with his experience.

You're massively underselling his defensive efforts by calling him a one trick pony. What was once a weak part of his game in the earlier years of his career had morphed into a strong area in the last few years, particularly when Mattner was forced to retire.

I watched a lot of that Suns NAB game and to me it seems be spent quite a lot of time on the bench

I'm torn. I don't want to underestimate Mal's value to the side because I think he is a very good player but I think back to a couple of the 2013 games against the Hawks at the MCG when we got belted (particularly Round 7), where they managed to take him out of the game (Again, small sample size!).
Maybe Horse saw the writing on the wall and figured that the good teams were going to be more likely to shut him down in the future? There's no doubt that we will miss him, I guess I'm just trying to rationalise why we didn't offer him a better contract. I'll be very interested to see how he goes at the GC this year.

I'm torn. I don't want to underestimate Mal's value to the side because I think he is a very good player but I think back to a couple of the 2013 games against the Hawks at the MCG when we got belted (particularly Round 7), where they managed to take him out of the game (Again, small sample size!).
Maybe Horse saw the writing on the wall and figured that the good teams were going to be more likely to shut him down in the future? There's no doubt that we will miss him, I guess I'm just trying to rationalise why we didn't offer him a better contract. I'll be very interested to see how he goes at the GC this year.

Well he is 31 and we did offer 2yrs, i was still kinda surprised he left and moved his family across the state for a extra year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back