Sydney International Sun 6th to Sat 13th Jan 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Good match, the fight he showed too hang in was amazing.
Has to work on his serve, doesn't like to serve to backhand both sides.

Was serving better in his other matches. If he has an abdominal strain it will be affecting his serve.

I'm pretty sure he had an abdominal strain when he played his second match last year at the AO (or was it Sydney, or am I getting him muddled up with someone else... I think it was him).

Phew, I'm exhausted now :p

Was serving better in his other matches. If he has an abdominal strain it will be affecting his serve.

I'm pretty sure he had an abdominal strain when he played his second match last year at the AO (or was it Sydney, or am I getting him muddled up with someone else... I think it was him).

Phew, I'm exhausted now :p
Good point, he did have the bandage on when he took shirt off.

He didn't seem as confident to let rip the forehand down the line.

Good point, he did have the bandage on when he took shirt off.

He didn't seem as confident to let rip the forehand down the line.

Yeah he seemed to play more conservatively tonight after the first set but that may have been Medvedev not allowing him to play like he did in the other matches. Also cumulative fatigue from the last two weeks. Overall he did great though, little ripper that he is :) :thumbsu:

Fantastic final. Shame De Minaur couldn't come away with it but Medvedev just flicked a switch after the first set and came as close as a human can be to a literal brick wall. Forced De Minaur to be the aggressor which is not his game, just wasn't able to put away winners. But that will come in time. Still a hugely impressive effort for an 18 year old to make a semi then a final over a 2 week span.

Here's hoping he can knock over Berdych R1 at the Open.

Medvedev is an intriguing sort, a very tall, mobile Russian male, still raw and with promise more than anything. Could go either way, but has character. Making his first two finals in Chennai and Sydney, obviously beatable fields, but also not the easiest conditions, and he came back from a convincing set down in the SF and Final.

Played much better than he did against Fognini, he took the match from Alex.

Given some of the retirement home finals Sydney has had this decade, refreshing to see two long odds, young finalists displaying their strengths and sound game.

Agreed about Kerber, her menacing resurgence has been one of the high points of the summer thus far, bodes well for the Australian Open, which is already brimming with contenders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back