Recommitted Sydney Stack [has re-signed with Richmond]

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Stack is a known delinquent and party boy.

so are a number of drafties and they are still picked up

top 10, national draft, rookie draft

Stack actually had a proper job. Not bad for a delinquent in comparison to most other draftees

Fights, drugs and booze to go along with his poor conditioning and 'who gives a fu**' attitude.

when was he doing drugs?

his 'attitude' might being up to standard is subjective isnt it

Liam Stocker for example, has 'poor conditioning'. According to himself and recruiters ; yet was still seen as partly worthy to trade a future top3 pick for. Whats the difference?

A quick google search...

iirc Richmond took aarts and weller ahead of stack. I am not saying they are much better than the rest.

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
so are a number of drafties and they are still picked up, top 10, national draft, rookie draft

Stack actually had a proper job. Not bad for a delinquent in comparison to most other draftees

I'm not really sure what you're debating with me? I initially commended Richmond for thus far, getting the best out of a known wayward youngster and hoped he stayed with them.

There is simply no debating the fact that Stack is a risk with a bad past. You're trying to paint me as some racist or at the least win some strange point scoring content or something. Stack was top 20ish talent who was overlooked in two drafts. He has significant challenges off field in terms of his behaviour and professionalism. Not too sure there is much to debate over those things to be reasonably had....

when was he doing drugs?

his 'attitude' might being up to standard is subjective isnt it

Liam Stocker for example, has 'poor conditioning'. According to himself and recruiters ; yet was still seen as partly worthy to trade a future top3 pick for. Whats the difference?

Like I said, he is a well known delinquent and party boy. If you're looking for concrete evidence of his drug use, I'm sorry I don't have any photos ala Harley Bennell.

Bringing a player like Stocker into this is bizarre. Stocker's condition was and has never in question, it is his endurance that needed work. There is a fair bit of difference between the two and you are drawing the world's biggest bow to even compare him in anyway to Stack. One is a Morrish medalist who was lauded for his maturity and character, going top 20 even after injury setbacks in his draft year, the other is Sydney Stack.

iirc Richmond took aarts and weller ahead of stack. I am not saying they are much better than the rest.

Not sure how this is relevant in anyway....?!

I seriously think if there was something substantial like drug taking or violence in Stack's past we would know about by now.

Hell we knew the Troy Taylor had taken part in an armed robbery and the story of Yarran knocking out a would be theif in South Africa before they were drafted.

Yet with Stack, all we have is a couple of stories about him skipping/being late to training and eating a bucket of KFC when he was in a pre draft meeting with an AFL club.

That does not sound "very wayward" to me TheKITC does it to you?

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
I seriously think if there was something substantial like drug taking or violence in Stack's past we would know about by now.

Hell we knew the Troy Taylor had taken part in an armed robbery and the story of Yarran knocking out a would be theif in South Africa before they were drafted.

Yet with Stack, all we have is a couple of stories about him skipping/being late to training and eating a bucket of KFC when he was in a pre draft meeting with an AFL club.

That does not sound "very wayward" to me TheKITC does it to you?

You can believe whatever you like, I'm not going to continue to go round in circles and repeat myself. Media outlets reported those issues you mentioned because they were either public knowledge already or a crime has been committed, it's a bit hard for them to report "AFL draft hopeful Sydney Stack spotted snorting MDMA in Northbridge nightclub toilet". If your naive enough to believe players don't use drugs just because there has been no official reporting of it, all the best to you. Anyone denying Stack has off-field issues that have included drugs, booze and delinquent behaviour is free to do so, I prefer to live in the real world...

18 clubs overlooked him in 2 drafts with only Richmond not putting him in the 'too hard basket' at the 11th hour. He was a top 20 talent, maybe better. Does that sound to you like it was just a matter of being a bit late to training and being a bit of a larrkin?

You can believe whatever you like, I'm not going to continue to go round in circles and repeat myself. Media outlets reported those issues you mentioned because they were either public knowledge already or a crime has been committed, it's a bit hard for them to report "AFL draft hopeful Sydney Stack spotted snorting MDMA in Northbridge nightclub toilet". If your naive enough to believe players don't use drugs just because there has been no official reporting of it, all the best to you. Anyone denying Stack has off-field issues that have included drugs, booze and delinquent behaviour is free to do so, I prefer to live in the real world...

18 clubs overlooked him in 2 drafts with only Richmond not putting him in the 'too hard basket' at the 11th hour. He was a top 20 talent, maybe better. Does that sound to you like it was just a matter of being a bit late to training and being a bit of a larrkin?

It was hardly the 11th hour. We contacted stack as soon as yeh rookie draft finished. That would be before the likes of Gibbons and other undrafted free agents got a call up to training.

I think that Stack is clearly a different cat and that clubs saw his behaviour as red flags that would only intensify once he entered a high pressure AFL environment.

He wouldn't be the first obviously elite talent to be overlooked in the draft in recent years. Just look at Tim Kelly. Are you saying he was also on drugs and getting into fights and that's why he was passed over in multiple drafts for several years? According to you there is no other alternative...:rolleyes:

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
wayward youngster and hoped he stayed with them.

Stack is a risk with a bad past.

he is a well known delinquent

"poor conditioning" = poor endurance

literally the same

Definition of conditioning. 1 : the process of training to become physically fit by a regimen of exercise, diet, and rest also : the resulting state of physical fitness. 2 : a simple form of learning involving the formation, strengthening, or weakening of an association between a stimulus and a response.

i said 'causal racism' btw :)

Last edited:

Tbone McGraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 9, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Stack is a known delinquent and party boy. Fights, drugs and booze to go along with his poor conditioning and 'who gives a fu**' attitude. Do you two really think Richmond just plucked a diamond in the rough that everyone else missed? Would have gone top 20 on talent but (almost) nobody wanted to touch him. Doesn't take too much brain power to work out why, especially given how lenient and willing to take punts on players with talent AFL clubs are...

A quick google search...

Absolutely nothing to do with him being black, so don't try that bs with me.
Mate, Dane Swan may fit the criteria you mentioned as well and he went alright in the footy caper.

Just saying.

It was hardly the 11th hour. We contacted stack as soon as yeh rookie draft finished. That would be before the likes of Gibbons and other undrafted free agents got a call up to training.

I think that Stack is clearly a different cat and that clubs saw his behaviour as red flags that would only intensify once he entered a high pressure AFL environment.

He wouldn't be the first obviously elite talent to be overlooked in the draft in recent years. Just look at Tim Kelly. Are you saying he was also on drugs and getting into fights and that's why he was passed over in multiple drafts for several years? According to you there is no other alternative...:rolleyes:

Stack's issue was background in WA was very bad. Clubs realise that a poor family/social background often leads to major problems.

Stack himself, before coming to Richmond, said that he needed to get out of WA. It was not Sydney Stack the person that was the issue. It was the environment he grew up and lived in. Richmond took him on and tried him out. They've surrounded him with good people and tried to build an environment he will thrive in. It's worked so far.

As long as he stays out of that place that will tear him down he'll be fine. I've spoken to a player that knew him at junior level and they said he's doing well and the Tigers knew that they had to treat him differently. But that Sydney also knew this himself. Some people are in destructive places and cannot escape. Some people in the same situation know to get out, and will work to get themselves into a good place. We don't know yet, but Stack wants to get away from his upbringing and move to a good place.

Some clubs would probably not have the environment to support someone like Sydney Stack. The RFC has the Korin Gamadji Institute and a good infrastructure and history of dealing with wayward players. So it's logical that they took the risk.

Mate, Dane Swan may fit the criteria you mentioned as well and he went alright in the footy caper.

Just saying.

Went to a sports day at my footy club with swan some of the stories he had from when he had were pretty eye opening one of the more tame being he got the call saying he had been drafted while he was on schoolies in the Gold Coast the club wanted him to fly home the next day but he elected to stay up for a few extra ones

Imagine the scrutiny he would of come under today
Such a shame if we never got to see him strut is stuff on the field one of the best players of the past decade

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Will get midfield time next year with a full preseason under his belt and looking like a 250 game player

cant believe he was a free hit should have easily been a top 5 selection based on what he has produced in his 1st year with limited time and not a full run at the preseason

Has re- signed a new contract ,,
Sydney to remain a tiger
Can you link to confirmation from the club? Can’t change thread title/prefix without it

Purpellian Anchor

Purple Admiralty
Oct 14, 2011
Northam
AFL Club
Fremantle
Gee I am surprised someone has not been taken to court over slander/defamation for damaging a players reputation that in turn effects their being drafted and loss of earning. I recall some stuff about Morabito prior draft that Bigfooty got rid of pretty quick when it was realised the seriousness of the BS that was said.

Gee I am surprised someone has not been taken to court over slander/defamation for damaging a players reputation that in turn effects their being drafted and loss of earning. I recall some stuff about Morabito prior draft that Bigfooty got rid of pretty quick when it was realised the seriousness of the BS that was said.

You have a point, but the problem would probably be identifying the source and quantifying the damage.

Back