Sydney Storm

Remove this Banner Ad

TropperFarquhar

Team Captain
Nov 20, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Tornadoes recorded and one suburb has effectively been demolished. Scary stuff.

5 properties in Kurnell were demolished after they recorded wind gusts of 215 km/hr.

Can only hope that the insurance companies will pay up for damages. Don't want to hear of families being left homeless due to corporate greediness like the Qld floods some years back.

What happened to cyclones. Recently the media are using the term tornado. We have never said tornado

They are different types of systems. Tornados usually have a funnel column. Cyclones are a larger areas of circulating air.
Are tornados rare in Australia then?
Seems as though I've never heard the word tornado in Aus then all of a sudden that's all they talk about.
In SA/VIC when we had that wild weather a month ago the media as calling it a tornado only for experts to come out and say it wasn't even a tornado just something else..

Are tornados rare in Australia then?
Seems as though I've never heard the word tornado in Aus then all of a sudden that's all they talk about.
In SA/VIC when we had that wild weather a month ago the media as calling it a tornado only for experts to come out and say it wasn't even a tornado just something else..
Yes they seem to almost exclusively occur in tornado alley in America. Only rare cases outside the United States but they are possible

They do seem a little more common in Australia now but I think that may just be due to people being able to easily record them on their phones now

Kind of. They're probably more common than cyclones. They are usually small though.

You sure about that?

Tornado-uk-gladiators-2028365-800-600.jpg

I feel their reasonably common in Oz - just not necessarily in heavily populated areas.

As usual the media happy to sensationalize/beat up the latest fad though. I walked to walk in light drizzle and by the time I left I was sweating like a pig on the walk home.

#wutstorm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back