Club Focus Sydney Swans 2023 - Molloy and McEvoy are the newest Swans

AFLW club focus.

Remove this Banner Ad

First Molloy, now McEvoy. Don't stop yet! We can get up to 5 in this priority signing period. Keep up the good work Kate Mahoney and co!

(Who is the main recruiter? Last season I think it was mostly Kate and Scott Gowan. But surely by now we must have some dedicated AFLW recruiters??)

e can get up to 5 in this priority signing period
I don't think we'll get the full 5. There's only so many tier 1 and tier 2 spots available and you would have to think that Molloy and McEvoy will take up a couple of those spots by moving across. the question then becomes whether the calibre of player you can attract with a tier 3 or 4 spot is better than someone who is already on the list and has been learning the Swans system for a year.

I think I would be pretty happy if we pick up a third player just to boost that experience in the side, preferably a mid of some sort. Then if you add the rumoured Paris McCarthy, that means we only need to cut 1-2 more players from the inaugural list.

I don't think we'll get the full 5. There's only so many tier 1 and tier 2 spots available and you would have to think that Molloy and McEvoy will take up a couple of those spots by moving across. the question then becomes whether the calibre of player you can attract with a tier 3 or 4 spot is better than someone who is already on the list and has been learning the Swans system for a year.

I think I would be pretty happy if we pick up a third player just to boost that experience in the side, preferably a mid of some sort. Then if you add the rumoured Paris McCarthy, that means we only need to cut 1-2 more players from the inaugural list.

I mostly agree with you. I don't think we'll get the full 5. But I would hope we'll get at least one more because otherwise what was the point lobbying for those extra spots that nobody else in the comp got. Hawthorn has gotten two quality players despite their lesser concessions.

Also, I'm not convinced that it's not worth cutting someone from the list who's been in our system for a year in order to get another player in. Several of our players are below AFLW standard and were recruited from the VFLW because we couldn't get AFLW players. Others of our players were recruited from entirely different sports e.g. Tiarne Cavanagh - she came from rugby - the Swans just put out the call to see if any of the Rugby 7s players wanted to give footy ago and she decided to give it a go. There are bound to be players who are Tier 3/4 level but can offer more than some on our list if we can tempt them to come. But it's a lot to give up when you're already on a list, and have to leave your family, job etc and move interstate.

14 more hours of Priority Signing Period to go. Fingers crossed.

I mostly agree with you. I don't think we'll get the full 5. But I would hope we'll get at least one more because otherwise what was the point lobbying for those extra spots that nobody else in the comp got. Hawthorn has gotten two quality players despite their lesser concessions.

Also, I'm not convinced that it's not worth cutting someone from the list who's been in our system for a year in order to get another player in. Several of our players are below AFLW standard and were recruited from the VFLW because we couldn't get AFLW players. Others of our players were recruited from entirely different sports e.g. Tiarne Cavanagh - she came from rugby - the Swans just put out the call to see if any of the Rugby 7s players wanted to give footy ago and she decided to give it a go. There are bound to be players who are Tier 3/4 level but can offer more than some on our list if we can tempt them to come. But it's a lot to give up when you're already on a list, and have to leave your family, job etc and move interstate.

14 more hours of Priority Signing Period to go. Fingers crossed.
All good points. It's a tough one and I think there's a couple more hard conversations to be had coming up. The problem with the inaugural list is that they are mostly all starting from such a low base and everyone tried their guts out, so whoever gets cut, it's a tough luck story. I would think that many of them are on a one year contract, and were told up front that basically they're auditioning for their ongoing spot each week. A lot of it will depend on who we can get in this PSP - forget the regular trade period because we have absolutely zero trade capital. If we can pick up five, fantastic. But gutfeel says 3, MAYBE 4. Who even knows.

All good points. It's a tough one and I think there's a couple more hard conversations to be had coming up. The problem with the inaugural list is that they are mostly all starting from such a low base and everyone tried their guts out, so whoever gets cut, it's a tough luck story. I would think that many of them are on a one year contract, and were told up front that basically they're auditioning for their ongoing spot each week. A lot of it will depend on who we can get in this PSP - forget the regular trade period because we have absolutely zero trade capital. If we can pick up five, fantastic. But gutfeel says 3, MAYBE 4. Who even knows.
Soooooo.... 1.5 hours after the deadline with zero news.. I guess that's it? Did I miss the apocalypse and downfall of civilisation that some predicted?

From the end of PSP Media release:

Sydney Swans:

Lucy McEvoy
  • Signed from Carlton Football Club
  • Medium defender
  • 33 career matches
  • Rising Star nominee in R1 2020, pick two in the 2019 AFLW Draft.
  • Formerly Carlton (VFLW), Geelong (VFLW), Geelong Falcons (Coates Talent League), St Mary's (AFL Barwon), Barwon Heads (AFL Barwon) and Ocean Grove Cobras (AFL Barwon)
Chloe Molloy
  • Signed from Collingwood Football Club
  • Midfielder forward
  • 47 career matches, 37 career goals
  • Two-time All Australian (2018 and 2021), 2022 All Australian squad (S7), 2018 Rising Star, 2018 Club champion, Two-time club leading goal kicker (2021 and 2022 S6), and 2018 AFLPA Best First Year Player.
  • Formerly played with Collingwood (VFLW) Diamond Creek Women's (VFLW) Calder Cannons (Coates Talent League) Whittlesea (Northern Football Netball League)

Soooooo.... 1.5 hours after the deadline with zero news.. I guess that's it? Did I miss the apocalypse and downfall of civilisation that some predicted?
Haven't seen you around in a while - how's it going?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess we didn't have much use for picks, so why not :D

Bolstering the midfield, that's a good move. We just struggled to win it in the middle, and having a few experienced players like Gardiner, Molloy and McEvoy to rotate through will surely give us more opportunities.

I guess we didn't have much use for picks, so why not :D

Bolstering the midfield, that's a good move. We just struggled to win it in the middle, and having a few experienced players like Gardiner, Molloy and McEvoy to rotate through will surely give us more opportunities.
Just struggled out of the middle and to control the pace of game. Went fast when we should have slowed it down and vice versa - desperately needed some top class experience which we now have. It will surely help.

No more delistings coming?
I don't know. According to the timeline, today is teh last day to offer contracts to existing players so surely we will have some idea what's going on by today ie: will we have spots remaining for DFA or draft. If we take Hayley Bullas as rumoured in DFA and do nothing else, that might be the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back