Sydney V Richmond - Round 2

Remove this Banner Ad

how was goodes?? i forgot about him. Did he play better than last week? Surprised he didn't receive any votes on the other thread (so far).

We improved on round one: Roos

Paul Roos says he was always confident his side would pull through despite watching the Swans relinquish their lead early in the fourth quarter. “The strength of the group is that they generally give themselves a chance to win every single week.

That’s as much, as a coach, you can really ask,” Roos said. “The team is very good at taking the heat out of the game when the opposition has a bit of a run on.

At the end of the game they’re very good at slowing it down. “Our philosophy is to try and be around the mark and give yourself an opportunity to win and that’s what we generally do. We did it in last year’s Grand Final and we didn’t win but we had an opportunity to win. We did it last week and we didn’t win but we were in with a chance.” Despite the tight finish, Roos was happy with his team’s performance.

The Swans were without star full-forward Barry Hall for much of the game, as he was troubled with a knee injury sustained early in the first quarter. “We improved on last week, which is one of the things we tried to do. Certainly with our ball use inside 50 and also not having Hally for most of the game, I thought it was a good effort to find other avenues to goal,” he said. Roos is hopeful that Hall can overcome his injury in time for next week’s clash against the Brisbane Lions. “He rolled his ankle as well so that’s more why he was limping.

But the ankle you can always strap up. He’s a chance to play next week but I suppose he’d have to be 50/50 at this stage.” It was a chaotic last quarter for Roos who was forced to coach from the boundary line when the Swans’ communication from the coaches’ box to the runners went down. “We got up to the box and there was no communication, which is inexcusable, so it was lucky that we had our own backup that we use for country games.”

“In the last quarter our backup communication went down. The bench couldn’t hear, I couldn’t hear, so I had to come down and coach from the bench for the last 10 minutes. In professional football that’s inexcusable,” he said. :) :)

--------------------
GALL_SWANS_SS1,0.jpg
---------------

Hall injured his left knee when he collided with Richmond's Darren Gaspar early, and made several attempts to play the game out but was proppy, and finished up on the bench.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back