CUBS

Debutant
Aug 21, 2008
the 'burbs
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa
So Jackson has apparently signed for 2 more years, much to the dismay of a lot of tiger supporters (myself included). Realistically though who else do we have at the moment with the stamina and hard body that can do the job?

One suggestion I have is Helbig. Seems to have a bit of mongrel about him and can kick with both feet with pretty neat skills. I'd say it'd be a good idea to start training him in the role so that when he's ready he can take over from Jacko in a year or 2, and by then he'd have been in the system a few years ala Scotty Selwood and start taking on and taking down some of the big guns hopefully....

Any objections or other suggestions?

while jackson has gone backwards this year. It's good we have signed one of our few older and harder bodies and a player for which no one can replace his role atm. :thumbsu:

that is of course if he has resigned.

matty white has been tagging this year hasnt he?:confused:

helbig will need a few years to filll out and develop.

I must be the only one who thinks Jacko has improved his composure in traffic and kicking this season. He plays with heart, courage and grunt, something Grigg hasn't shown yet and Jacko is a better kick than Grigg too :cool:

Tagging is not what it used to be (see effects used by Montagna and co on Judd late in the year). In saying that we still don't have anyone that can 'run-with'.

Jackson is not skilled, fast, fit, disciplined enough.
White is not physical or skillful enough.

Helbig does look like a good prospect for that role though...

Grigg has absolutely destroyed some highly rated players this year. I see no reason why that can't continue.

Using Helbig as a tagger is a waste, though.

I must be the only one who thinks Jacko has improved his composure in traffic and kicking this season. He plays with heart, courage and grunt, something Grigg hasn't shown yet and Jacko is a better kick than Grigg too :cool:

Your definitely the only one. Jackson has no doubt gone backwards. I think it was 2009 that he finished 2nd in our B&F... this year he finished 12th. Clearly even the coaches think so

Love the idea of Helbig becoming our tagger. He looks like one of those players that just needs to be given a role every week (like Rance). Already shows good hardness at the ball but can improve tackling and reading of the play

Genuine taggers are an antiquated idea these days. You need players that can burn the opposition going the other way. These best tagging job by a tiger this year was Deledio on Goddard in round 2. 29 touches and a goal all while ensuring Goddard got nowhere near it.

Jackson burns us when he has the ball in his hands. Draw a 50m line from Jackson to our goal square when he has the ball and that's where he kicks it every time. We need a smart player that is able to assess his options before dishing off.

Also, Jacko kicked 7.20 in 21 games this year. I'll take Helbig's 4.3 from 10 games (often starting as the sub) any time.

Grigg has absolutely destroyed some highly rated players this year. I see no reason why that can't continue.

Grigg isn't a tagger, he's been given that role to help improve defensive deficiencies.

He is an outside mid, he always hangs around the outside of packs, doesn't go in hard, and rarely tackles (not bagging him but he is just an outside player and that's what they do). And we need outside mids anyway.

Grigg isn't a tagger, he's been given that role to help improve defensive deficiencies.

He is an outside mid, he always hangs around the outside of packs, doesn't go in hard, and rarely tackles (not bagging him but he is just an outside player and that's what they do). And we need outside mids anyway.

Outside players should at least have good skills. Something Grigg doesn't. Wish we kept Collins.

Madtiger2006;22340807[B said:
]I must be the only one [/B]who thinks Jacko has improved his composure in traffic and kicking this season. He plays with heart, courage and grunt, something Grigg hasn't shown yet and Jacko is a better kick than Grigg too :cool:

Naaa dude there is a theory that there is 2 at least.
NASA have sent a space ship into deep space to first see if there is a civilization out in one of the other galaxies, and when and if it finds one, the first question the on board computer will ask is, "Do you think Jacko has improved his composure in traffic and kicking this season.?" ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outside players should at least have good skills. Something Grigg doesn't. Wish we kept Collins.

Collins struggled to get in our starting 22 last year.

Grigg held his spot for the season, in a better side.

I know who I would prefer to have

I agree. Helbig would be a huge waste using him as a tagger, he should be turned into an attacking player at all costs. IMO we need someone willing to be a full on negative tagger/shutdown player. with our ruck issues we need someone that is just willing to do a Scott Selwood, Baker type of role of just being there to stop an opposing player from touching the ball. I nominate Foley for now, his skills are ordinary at best and if guys like Joseph from Carlton, and Baker can shut guys down, so can Foley.

Grigg is either the worst outside player in history or a potential run-with player. his skills are shocking and he is only a marginal upgrade over collins which is saying something

Absolute BS dude..everyone knows that Griggs is a ruckman ;)

Just get enough depth and quality within our midfield so that we are the hunted not hunters !
Run with roles should be left for developing young players learning how and where to run and how to use their body , as should the half back line !
Recruiting and maintaining players who only have the ability and scope to become solely defensive players , is a total cop out for players with s**t skills and poor decision making !

I agree. Helbig would be a huge waste using him as a tagger, he should be turned into an attacking player at all costs. IMO we need someone willing to be a full on negative tagger/shutdown player. with our ruck issues we need someone that is just willing to do a Scott Selwood, Baker type of role of just being there to stop an opposing player from touching the ball. I nominate Foley for now, his skills are ordinary at best and if guys like Joseph from Carlton, and Baker can shut guys down, so can Foley.

To think if we hadn't of traded for McMahon we would have had Scott Selwood.

To think if we hadn't of traded for McMahon we would have had Scott Selwood.

Up until this year I wouldn't have given a bag of samboys for Scott Selwood, he's had a good year (almost playing above themselves) like a lot of other Eagles players but I'm not losing sleep not having him at the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back