TAR Diary - Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Pre-Season Matches

Bloody Awful Lions

3 Straight Losses in the pre-season, including a massive loss to the West Coast Eagles has placed doubts in many fans minds, weather the Lions will be a force this year as they hoped to be.

The Lions showed a spirited fight against Collingwood before going down by 28 points. The following week, the Lions stringed together, only to be destroyed in the last quater, going down by 70 points. Week Three was one of the biggest disgraces in their recent history, allowing 13 unanswered goals go through in the third quater, to lose to West Coast by 110 points.

The only positive came at a price, a 30 point victory over Richmond, but injuries to Merret and Xavier Clark have the Lions premiership season hopes already clouded.

Lions Coach Jim Chezwick is aim't to see the Lions string together more wins on the road, or at least fight till the end.

Season 2006: Round One to Eight Summary

Round One: Brisbane VS Hawthorn

A match that experts predicting a Brisbane annihilation went the other way as Hawthorn lept early, kicking 7 in the first term to take an early lead.

Brisbane crawled back, kicking six goals to one in the second term to trail by one point.

The third term produced another titanic struggle, Hawthorn winning the term by 2 goals and two behinds. Hawthorn once again dominated the final term and were looking at a major upset. The Lions stepped up the pressure, kicking 9 behinds to draw the game in the dying seconds.

Johnathan Brown started the season promising, Best on Ground with 4 goals, 31 possessions and 13 marks.

Round Two: Brisbane VS Melbourne

These two teams have had a titanic struggle between each other as of late. This game was billing to be much of the same. The first term was a sloppy affair, with only 3 goals being scored, 2 Goals to Melbourne, 1 to Brisbane.

The second term looked like Melbourne's with two quick goals, however Brisbane booted NINE for the term to take the lead at half time.

Melbourne crawled back into the third term, restricting Brisbane to One Goal Four Behinds, and kicking six goals to trail by six points.

The Final Term was tense, but it was Brisbane's six goals that proved the deciding factor. Brisbane Comfortable winners by 22 points.

Johnathan Brown was once again Best On Ground, with 1 goal, 30 possessions and 16 marks. However, it was Jarrad Brennan with Six Goals, Daniel Bradshaw with 5 goals that left their mark on the scoreboard.

Round Three: Brisbane VS Sydney

The Lions came in on a high aftee two outstanding performances. However, it was the Swans who came out with the last laugh, destroying the Lions in the final quater to win by 22 points.

The Lions had taken the lead into each final term goal wise, however it was Sydneys massive shots on goal that proved the deciding factor in the game. Despite the loss, Lions coach Jim Chezwick was quoted at being satisfied with the team.

For the third week in a row, Johnathan Brown was judged Best On Ground, with 2 goals, 24 possessions and 11 marks.

Notable mentions for Richard Hadley (2nd in rankings, 4 goals), Lions Draftee Aaron Hamill (2 goals) and Daniel Bradshaw (2 goals)

Round Four: Brisbane VS Kangaroos

The Lions were annihilated by 110 points by North in the Pre-Season. Experts predicted the Roos may be able to pull of another whitewash. However, their predcitions proved to be wrong as Brisbane went on a scoring spree.

The first quater was a close affair, Brisbane getting by 7 points. After that however, it was a one-side affair, as the Lions kicked six goals, six behinds in the second.

The Third Term produced more of the same, a further 8 goals, 5 behinds to press the lead.

A 5 goal to 4 final term was more the same, Brisbane winners by 88 points.

Jonathan Brown was Best On Ground for the FOURTH week straight, kicking 4 goals, 24 possessions and 8 marks. Youngster Llane Spaaderman kicked 4 as well, with Aaron Hamill and Jarad Brennan kicking 3 goals each.

Lions Defender Mark McVeigh will miss a week with a foot injury.

Round Five: Brisbane VS Western Bulldogs

The Lions got off to an early start, booting eight goals to three. However, the Lions fell asleep in the second quater, only managing 3 goals to the Bulldogs 6.

Desperate not to fall off their winning run, the Lions booted a further six goals to take a 4 goal lead going into the Final term.

The Doggies mounted a comeback, with 4 goals in the final term, but Brisbane managed to hold off the Dogs, with 3 goals to take the win by 17 points.

Jonathan Brown continued his amazing form, ranking Number One on the ground for the Fifth week in a row, 1 goals, 28 possessions, 15 marks.

Jarrad Brennan booted 5, Llane Spaanderman, Xavier Clarke with 3 goals each, and Nigel Lappin with 2 all were multiple goalkickers.

Round Six: Brisbane VS Richmond

Brisbane will be heading into next weeks match with St Kilda concerned, despite an impressive 41 point win over the Richmond Tigers. Jarrad Brennan has suffered a serious back injury, only minutes before Full Time.

Brisbane lead throughout the match, Daniel Bradshaw leading the attack with Jonathan Brown also on great form.

Daniel Bradshaw was rated Best on Ground, ending Jonathan Browns impressive streak (Ranking 5th oveall, 2nd best for the Lions).

Bradshaw booted 5 goals, 24 possessions and 5 marks. Jarrad Brennan booted 4 amazing goals before suffering his devestating back injury, Jonathan Brown with 2 of his own.

Brennan had been showing great skill before the injury. He is ruled out for Eight weeks.

Round Seven: Brisbane VS St Kilda

The true definition of the showdown, The Lions marched into the Telstra Dome with the determination to pull a win back over St Kilda. The Saints however got the early start, booting 4 early goals to 2. Their furthered their lead to 3 goals going into half time.

After half-time, St Kilda failed to lapse past the Lions defensive strategy. Brisbane booted 5 goals to take a 12 point lead at the final break. The Saints then managed to break through with 4 goals in the final term, but the Lions then booted 5 goals to record an impressive 21 point win over the Saints.

Brenden Goddard took Best on Ground, followed by Saints skipper, Luke Ball.

Justin Leppitsch was the best for the Lions, 25 possessions, 9 Marks.

Daniel Bradshaw continued impressive form up front, booting 6.

The Lions now find themselves on top of the ladder..

Round Eight: Brisbane VS Essendon

Lions fans are calling for the head of Mathew Lloyd, after the Bombers Captain recieved a controversal free kick to win the match against the Lions after the siren.

Not even a Best on Ground effort from Xavier Clarke was able to stop the Bombers hold back the Lions as Brisbane looked to take a Come-From-Behind win over their rivals. With scores drawn, the Bombers Captain recieved a free kick from 50 out and booted a behind to win the game for the Bombrs.

Xavier Clarke was Best on Ground, with 1 goal, 28 possessions, 4 marks, and 10 hand balls.

The Lions will be without key midfielder, Simon Black, suspended for 4 matches for striking.

The Lions are now 4th on the ladder.

-------------------------------------

Comments on 2006 so far?

Rough_Edges said:
STTTTTTTT KKILLLDDDDAAER!

:p.

Hamill and Xav will lead you too the 2006 premiership.

May wanna go read round Seven again :D

Hamill and Clarke have been great additions to the Lions, although I did try to lure a particular former Southport Sharks player back home to QLD as well :D

Anyway, here is something I should have posted earlier. Stats from 2004 Season

Brownlow Medal: Nathan Buckley (Collingwood)
Coleman Medal: Mathew Lloyd (Essendon)
Rising Star Award: Richard Tambling (Richmond)

NB - Brisbane's Llane Spaandermann was one of the final nominees, but narrowly missed out.

Media MVP: Luke Ball (St Kilda)
Norm Smith Medal: Fraser Gehrig

Statistics are appearing as the present season is infact the 2005 Season. Therefore to avoid conflict, I've decided to change the current season to the year 2005.

Round Nine to Sixteen

The Lions slump continued, but the rebound has so far showed potential for a late surge late in the season. The Lions have suffered humilating defeats by Fremantle, Carlton and Port Adelaide, as well as a narrow loss to West Coast.

The West Coast game however showed the true potential of the Lions, without some of their major stars, was able to come from a 40 point defeciet to lose by a kick.

The Lions also showed they were potential giant killers, destroying heavily back favourites Collingwood by over 60 points at the MCG.

Brisbane also accounted for Hawthorn, Geelong and Adelaide, all in comfortable fashion.

Rounds 17 to 22 will be interesting, with THREE major Lions still on the suspended list. Jason Akermanis, serving a second suspension for the season will return alongside Brisbane Captain, Jonathan Brown, still 3 weeks from
completing a 5 week suspension.

After Round Sixteen Stats:

Brisbane Lions on Ladder: Sixth Place (9 Wins, 6 Losses, 1 Draw)

Premiership Leaders: Sydney Swans

Cellar-Dwellers: Western Bulldogs

Team Statistics: Brisbane dominate almost everything. Leading Goal Kickers, Kicks, Marks, Free Kicks, Possessions, Handballs, Inside 50'a. Contested Possessions and Contested Marks.

Indiviual Statistics: No Leaders
Media Award Update: Despite facing lengthy suspension, Jonathan Brown still leads, 7 votes clear of Nathan Buckley.

Season 2005 Summary

Final Ladder Position: 5th Place

Finals Appearence:Elimination Final (Defeated Geelong by 4 points, Semi Final (defeated by Collingwood by 19 points.... f***ing Magpies :p )

2005 Premiers: Sydney Swans (Defeating Magpies)

Norm Smith Medal: Leo Barry (Sydney Swans)

Brownlow Medal: Chris Judd (West Coast Eagles)

The Brisbane Lions Board was pleased with my efforts this season, rating me a 73 this season. I recieved a contract offer from the Fremantle Dockers, offering me $50,000 more than my Lions contract.

Although a move sounds tempting, my heart will always remain a Lion, and have re-signed with the Brisbane Lions after two successful seasons with the club.

Season 2006 - Preseason Preparations

Administrative Tasks

Assistant Coach - A Legend Returns....

After two successful season with the Brisbane Lions, Brian Royal has decided to quit as Coach Jim Chezwicks assistant Coach. Brian had assisted the Lions in becoming a Final Football Force, successfully taking the team to Second week of finals football.

With Brian's departure, comes very good news for Brisbane Lions fans.

Three-Time Premiership Captain, Michael Voss has signed on as Jim Chezwicks new Assistant Coach. Since his retirement, Michael has been wanting to get back in association with the Lions. Michael has stayed in close touch with Jim Chezwick after bowing out after the end of Chezwick's first season as Coach.

Jim was said to be over the moon with bringing Michael in to the Lions camp once again

Chief Medical Officer

Donovan Duligall has quit the Brisbane Lions after the end of the 2005 season. Brisbane are delighted to announce the signing of Clayton Delahull to the position of Chief Medical Officer.

Recruitment Officer:

The Lions have released Travis Broad after one season.

The Lions are pleased to announce Kevin Preece as the new club Recruitment Officer.

Administration Staff:

The Lions are also releasing Joshua Vaughan from the club.

Brisbane are pleased to announce Bryce Giles as the new Administration Officer for the Brisbane Lions.

Retired Players

The Flamboyant, the Electrifying, the Man, the myth, the legend.....

Jason Akermanis has said goodbye to the Football World, hanging up his boots at the age of 30 years old.

Jason is the only retiree from the Lions, but is one of many of the big stars to hang up his boots.

'Duel' Brownlow Medalist, Nathan Buckley, Goal Kicking Legend, Mathew Lloyd, the Champion James Hird, Gavin Manganeed, Darryl Wakelin, Byron Pickett, Mathew Richardson, Barry Hall, all big names of the modern era, finally coming to an end of their careers.

Trade Week

After tough negotiations:

Jed Adcock and Pick #44
for
Brenden Favola (Carlton Blues)

National Draft:

Round One Pick: Tyler Feeney (Small Back)
Round Two Pick: Andrew Sankson (Ruck)
Round Three Pick: Benjamin Kealey

Pre-Season Draft:

Round #1: Justin Sherman (Did not re-sign end of last season)
Round #2: Jarad Childs (Tall Back)
Round #3: Jordon Ransley (Tall Back)

Training Camp Report

Llane Spaanderman, Gabriel Riebe and Kyler Worth all made excellent improvement over the pre-season.

NAB Cup Draw

Round One

Hawthorn VS Sydney

Melbourne VS Port Adelaide

Essendon VS Collingwood

Carlton VS Bulldogs

Kangaroos VS Fremantle

Brisbane VS Geelong

West Coast VS Adelaide

Richmond VS St Kilda

So Season 2006 is here.....

Comments on my Pre-Season Preparation? Aker's retirement? Vossy's return? :thumbsu:

Vossy's return is a pleasant one...one idea for you diary could be for one of us to ask you questions about each particular game if indeed you decide to do that bit again.

toddy said:
Vossy's return is a pleasant one...one idea for you diary could be for one of us to ask you questions about each particular game if indeed you decide to do that bit again.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm glad to see my 'press conference' style on reporting got some attention, and now that you've mentioned it, I'll bring it back for sure.

I'm pretty busy this week, so just to give you an update of Season 2006

NAB Cup - got through to Quater Finals, defeated by eventual NAB Finalists the Kangaroos

Lost next two pre-season matches.

Round One VS Port Adelaide - My greatest moment, winners by 96 points

Lost the next two rounds

Next Match VS Fremantle.

As I said, busy this week at college and footy coaching, so I'll update the thread again perhaps Friday Night with the Fremantle Games

Heres a thought I just had. Live Information from the games, as in Quater by Quater stats posted here? Anyone wanting to see that? :thumbsu:

Im gonna buy the game on thursday i think....already written an article on neale dannihers shock sacking for season 2006....i do plan on coaching brisbane some day....look out for my story

Remove this Banner Ad

Back