Discussion Tasmania AFL Jumper Design

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought I'd throw my hat in the ring with my first concept for... The Islanders!

The two stripes have always been my preferred choice and with the recent reveal here's my revised concept. The 1980 state jumper is the blueprint. Tasmania-Presentation-10-Green.png

1710846482832.png

Snapchat-2099813676.jpg

Side by side with the other league logos, one fits the overall well-established simplified aesthetic and sits about middle of the pack and also very versatile (colouring of shielf can be altered to fit in any graphical situation, I prefer the red border), while the other one looks clearly like AI-generated IT work experience kid job that we all know it was lol

And I guess it's also a nice bonus that the former actually looks like the thing its representing

View attachment 1933335

Side by side with the other league logos, one fits the overall well-established simplified aesthetic and sits about middle of the pack and also very versatile (colouring of shielf can be altered to fit in any graphical situation, I prefer the red border), while the other one looks clearly like AI-generated IT work experience kid job that we all know it was lol

And I guess it's also a nice bonus that the former actually looks like the thing its representing
I'd feel more comfortable as a parent with my child displaying the relatively 'cuter' yet still fierce Devil logo in Map of Tassie than the demented AI bastard child of a logo they've come up with.

What was the whole 'wild' thing. Unnecessary
When they started talking "wild" in the lead up to the logo reveal, I started to get excited that there might be a logo with similar taste to Minnesota Wild NHL logo. Tasmanian Wild could have been a good name, too... would have been unique... but, they've mailed the colours, I'm fed not convinced by the logo and a little whelmed by the jumper.

View attachment 1933335

The old logo looks like a trophy head on a house lounge room wall

Screenshot_20240320_074658_Instagram.jpg

This was always my #1 choice for first year home jumper from magpienato, and the fact he could make the logo monochrome like this - it can be used on any background and be any colour and still stand out. Plus the shield design doubling up as a map of Tasmania. With the new logo none of this can be done easily unfortunately.

View attachment 1933465

This was always my #1 choice for first year home jumper from magpienato, and the fact he could make the logo monochrome like this - it can be used on any background and be any colour and still stand out. Plus the shield design doubling up as a map of Tasmania. With the new logo none of this can be done easily unfortunately.
433269051_122129878346197888_1730351553851498767_n.jpg

Considering the "map of Tassie foundation jumper will be worn sparingly" and they've included the "braces" wording alongside the colours, this design looks more likely to be the one (either with the updated head, Tassie shield or nothing at all) It'd be interesting if they followed this to a tee and have white shorts, green socks with rose and primrose band, probably save it for the heritage kit

View attachment 1933335

whereas to me, looking at this on a phone, I feel the old (u18s) logo scales really poorly – look how the face blends into the shield and your eyes are drawn simply to the yellow mouth area – as opposed to the new logo, which for all its detail and weird chin, actually scales quite well

Saw this on Facebook and there is something I just like about this jumper. The way the map creates a yoke and side panels just works for me.

I'd probably flip the colours around so the map part is green but it's an interesting take. The large map would probably also look good as an outline similar to the GWS never surrender or Adelaide gather round jumper. FB_IMG_1710904592393~2.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw this on Facebook and there is something I just like about this jumper. The way the map creates a yoke and side panels just works for me.

I'd probably flip the colours around so the map part is green but it's an interesting take. The large map would probably also look good as an outline similar to the GWS never surrender or Adelaide gather round jumper.View attachment 1933685
This would look so much better if it was stylised, rather than a detailed map.

It's decent now. But the needles "greater' in the name and the dull faded orange and grey originally was a big let down at the time. Puma coming on board helped significantly.

Greater is meant to include western nsw, more then just Western Sydney iirc. It roped in the rural west towns.

Works well with their moniker GWS Giants rolls off the tongue better then WS Giants imo.

Might be something to do with the fact that the "old" Devils logo (was made in 2018 so hardly old) actually looks like a Tasmanian Devil.

This new Tasmania logo is the textbook definition of amateur. Lacks structure, lacks character, lacks distinction and most importantly lacks integration with any aspect of the Tasmanian identity whatsoever.

To say it already looks aged isn't entirely true because that would imply it was ever really in vogue or contemporary with any design style or convention.

I've tried to make some logos/emblems in my time here and trust me, it takes an amateur designer to know an amateur design. You're absolutely entitled to your opinion but it's clear you're not really sure what you're talking about.

How many of the team logos go for realism? Mainly the bird teams...

Collingwood and Swans the main two stuck to more realistic looks, Eagles, Crows have had varying designs.

How many of the team logos go for realism? Mainly the bird teams...

Collingwood and Swans the main two stuck to more realistic looks, Eagles, Crows have had varying designs.
It's not about 'realism' it's about looking 'like' the animal and the new Tassie logo looks like a furry more than anything which is the issue at hand. It is unrecognisable and a logo that isn't recognisable is functionally bad.

View attachment 1933335

This perfectly shows the issue with the new logo. To say it sticks out like a sore thumb would be an understatement. It will not translate well onto merchandise, TV and pretty much anywhere it's applied because it has been designed poorly and unprofessionally.

whereas to me, looking at this on a phone, I feel the old (u18s) logo scales really poorly – look how the face blends into the shield and your eyes are drawn simply to the yellow mouth area – as opposed to the new logo, which for all its detail and weird chin, actually scales quite well
I mean that was just the first version of it that I saw on google images and could edit into the image on snapchat. Through the many versions of it, its as easy as recolouring it properly to make it stand out (as seen in my post below it showing magpienato's design, an easily superior application for the U18 logo.

I just don't think it even scales well, or solves any issue better than the U18s logo. Eyes are still drawn to the mouth and eyes, and I don't really care for how scalable it is if its a worse design- we're still trying to figure out if a human was behind it or not.

Anything scales if you slap a stroke on and call it a day.

Last edited:
It's not about 'realism' it's about looking 'like' the animal and the new Tassie logo looks like a furry more than anything which is the issue at hand. It is unrecognisable and a logo that isn't recognisable is functionally bad.

There is similarity with the below.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240320_165743_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240320_165743_Chrome.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 57
You're worried about this jumper not having a 'pro team look' and yet you're fine with the new logo? I'll have what you're smoking Rastaman

The new logo needs tweaking but overall is better then what you prefer in my eyes.

That old logo you like looks average at best and looks dated.

They could make one where the Devil is coming at you instead I guess. Like the bellow.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240320_170040_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240320_170040_Chrome.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 53

Remove this Banner Ad

Back