Tax return question

Free Agent

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Just did my tax return with an Accountant.

I first went to another tax accountant but he wanted all these documents from me I didn't have at the time and didn't really like his attitude. Was pretty rude.
So because of that I didn't go back and went to another who was much nicer and helped me with everything.

Now I get an email from first accountant with an invoice
Am I required to pay the first Accountant that's done an incomplete return and hardly did anything to be honest.

I'm not happy with this but would like advice on what to do.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AvantGardener

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Unless the first accountant said first meeting is free of charge and that's all they've done then it's pretty shitty not to pay them if the invoice is fairly priced for the work they would have done.

Free Agent

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Unless the first accountant said first meeting is free of charge and that's all they've done then it's pretty s**tty not to pay them if the invoice is fairly priced for the work they would have done.
Are you sure. I dont understand as there was no mention to me that I have to pay if I choose to go elsewhere. If I'm not happy with this agent I have a right to refuse. I don't want them to do my tax. Seems a bit of a joke to me.

AvantGardener

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Are you sure. I dont understand as there was no mention to me that I have to pay if I choose to go elsewhere. If I'm not happy with this agent I have a right to refuse. I don't want them to do my tax. Seems a bit of a joke to me.
Well what exactly have they done? If they've made a start on it and then needed more documents you need to pay them for the time it took to make a start on it.

Yes, you are required to pay for services rendered even if you cancelled half way through. Also they require documents to complete an accurate tax return, "not having time" to provide documents is one of the dumbest excuses I've ever heard and sounds like a great recipe for guesswork and future audits.

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
If I was an accountant, you'd be the exact sort of client you don't want. Someone who isn't prepared and doesn't comply with the correct requirements of providing documentation, and then not paying for time spent on the work.

Accountants (like lawyers) charge based on the time they spend, whether that time is spent talking to you or preparing the return. It's entirely reasonable to invoice for the time they spent on the job so far.

davefromjerra

All Australian
Mar 3, 2005
Magnetic Island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The first accountant does have a right to bill you for their time. If you don’t pay they will in all probability write it off as a bad debt rather than take you to the small claims court.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
'I got a painter to paint my house, they got half way through the house and I didn't like their attitude so I got another painter.....do I have to pay the first painter?'........answer YES.

You get someone to do a job for you and spend time doing the work and then you choose to leave, yes you owe them (although depending on how much it is, they would probably just write it off)

Back