Taylor Swift

Remove this Banner Ad

I was talking from a musical talent pov.

This feels like the Spice Girls hype train when it was at its peak.

Same kind of demographics, same kind of money making machine.

Guess the difference is the Spice Girls hype machine burned fairly quick. They'd come and gone within about 4 years. TS has been a mega star for 15 years and keeps getting bigger.

She is absolutely the biggest artist this century.

Would Spice Girls have been even bigger had they had modern day social media etc. Of course. That would be the same for ever popular artist in history though.

Guess the difference is the Spice Girls hype machine burned fairly quick. They'd come and gone within about 4 years. TS has been a mega star for 15 years and keeps getting bigger.

She is absolutely the biggest artist this century.

Would Spice Girls have been even bigger had they had modern day social media etc. Of course. That would be the same for ever popular artist in history though.

Bigger among young teen girls no doubt.

That stands out in a time when music is going backwards as an industry.

Album sales in 2007 in the US were 500 million. In 2022 it was down to 100 million.

Josh Groban sold more albums in 2007 than TS did in 2022 in the US.

Bigger among young teen girls no doubt.

That stands out in a time when music is going backwards as an industry.

Album sales in 2007 in the US were 500 million. In 2022 it was down to 100 million.

Josh Groban sold more albums in 2007 than TS did in 2022 in the US.
Using album sales as a metric to discuss artists popularity would make sense if you fell into a coma in 2007 and only just woke up.

I can only see Sydney dates on market place now. Kind of defeats the purpose if it’s meant to be the only way to resell but you can’t do it last minute?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Britney Spears had a good head on her shoulders and a good team around her do you think she'd have what Taylor has right now?
At her best, like her or hate her, Britney Spears was a very good singer who sung some great songs and has a huge following still, though I doubt she'll ever sing again, she's quite happy writing songs for other artists, becoming a "ghost writer". I actually think Britney did have a good head on her shoulders, unfortunately with her dad being a control freak and wanting to protect her, he somehow managed to screw all that up and do the complete opposite and nearly ruin her life.

As I like several of her songs, I think to be fair though as well as a few other singers, as has been talked about already, what Taylor is doing now, whether you like her or not makes no difference, for a SINGLE artist, she is already on Elvis Presley levels in my opinion.
There is no doubt the spice girls and Britney, which has been brought up by others were crazy huge at there best, but whether its because of this or that or everything combined, Taylor Swift is not only on another planet but one could argue in another universe.

Just like Elvis I'm sure some people said the same thing, like Buddy Holly and one or two others, what if? The records she is breaking at the moment , no singers in history have done and come close to what she is doing, {I have posted about this in an earlier thread}. Beatlemania was indeed for bands probably the pinnacle, but for a single artist one must logically go to the "KING", and as has been pointed out, has social media and other things helped the cause for what Taylor is doing?

The simple truth of the matter is yes and no.
There is no doubt its helped, but in this time, where money and the cost of living is strangling households people of ALL AGES are spending insane amounts of money to go watch her and its not all teenage girls which has been floated around a bit. I would say since covid, a lot more people of different ages are enjoying her music where before, one could argue it was teenagers with a flux of people of different ages. Look at her concerts and the age demographic has changed quite rapidly in just over four years. When it boils down to it, if you don't like her music, then don't listen to it. But if your a fan and like/love her music, then embrace this period of time and enjoy the warmth/sadness or angryness {about cheaters} that Taylor Swift brings.
Music Video Hello GIF by Taylor Swift

My colleague things Beyonce is more famous. I said no bloody chance at all. She is a massive Beyonce fan obviously.

You should have said that you're really happy for her and that you'll let her finish, but that Taylor Swift is the most famous of ALL TIME! The most famous of ALL TIME!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back