Snake_Baker

The one true King of the North
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
ASPI have a brief article hypersonics, at the end of first para there is a link to a pdf with a detailed report Hypersonic weapons are coming—whether we’re ready or not | The Strategist (aspistrategist.org.au) Worth a read if you are interested. The weapons require expensive materials and present significant engineering challenges. They may also muddy the waters between a nuclear and conventional attack, which increases the risk of triggering a nuclear war, generally regarded as a bad thing.

I still have significant doubts about how well these weapons will be able to hit moving targets. Firstly because the faster you go, the harder it is to manoeuvre (which is discussed in the article) and secondly there are difficulties with using sensors in the lower atmosphere at hypersonic speeds (heat/ionization/micro impact).

So basically we can punch up 2nd world nations in a skirmish? :D

CD Xbow

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is the best video I have seen talking about the impact and in particular the limitations of hypersonic weapons.
Hypersonic Weapons and the Future of Naval Warfare - YouTube

Interesting that in both the glide vehicles and the cruise missiles they may have to slow a bit in terminal phases to use sensors and manoeuvre, bringing them into scope of current antimissile systems. I have been sceptical about our current and near future lasers systems ability to destroy these craft for a few reasons:
- these are robust craft designed to handle high heat
- difficult to keep the laser aimed and focused at that speed, especially if manoeuvring.
- at speeds where they are forming a plasma sheath this will interfere with the laser.

Highly recommended if you have an interest in Hypersonics and prefer something more balanced than the usual tripe.

Werewolf

Feb 12, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Interesting the Russians have historically favoured fighters that fly higher and faster than their counterparts - to help cover their enormous territory - but the Sukhoi LTS, while being "cheap", seems to be more in line with the US approach with stealth apparently being the main priority:

Eagle Wrath

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Interesting the Russians have historically favoured fighters that fly higher and faster than their counterparts - to help cover their enormous territory - but the Sukhoi LTS, while being "cheap", seems to be more in line with the US approach with stealth apparently being the main priority:

I've been reading about a potential US vs China war and it sounds like the future is missiles, satelite weaponry and missile defence systems. The US already admit they cant get close to China with ships or fighter jets now, due to the massive amount of anti air defences China have. And Battleships/carriers are a thing of the past.
Obv this is without using Nukes which no-one wants.

Werewolf

Feb 12, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I've been reading about a potential US vs China war and it sounds like the future is missiles, satelite weaponry and missile defence systems. The US already admit they cant get close to China with ships or fighter jets now, due to the massive amount of anti air defences China have. And Battleships/carriers are a thing of the past.
Obv this is without using Nukes which no-one wants.

Good points. Right on cue, the S-500 missile system has been unveiled:

Remove this Banner Ad