Movie Terminator Salvation

Remove this Banner Ad

Terminator 5 is equal pile of s**t too. Why rehash rehash. We want a proper human vs robot war!!!

I don't mind it for what it is. The original is the only one I care about, but T2 is obviously a significant sequel expansion, and T3 and Salvation are respectable if disposable sequels. Salvation also finally put to bed the incessant hype and demand for a Terminator film in the future war setting.

The absolute manure that was Genisys is what finally killed the franchise.

Salvation also finally put to bed the incessant hype and demand for a Terminator film in the future war setting.

I've heard people say this before like it's a clever point and I'm not sure why. It just means F̶o̶x̶ whoever owns the rights made a shitty movie set in the future war, not that a good future war movie isn't possible.

I've heard people say this before like it's a clever point and I'm not sure why. It just means F̶o̶x̶ whoever owns the rights made a shitty movie set in the future war, not that a good future war movie isn't possible.
I beg to disagree. Terminator is essentially more of a formula than a franchise. That formula of slasher suspense and isolating stakes is best accentuated in a pre-war scenario, with inevitably diminishing results after a few initial spins. I think Salvation made a good fist of it, but by that point the cliches the franchise relies upon, not to mention the loyalty to the Connors, just bogs down, constricts and dead ends. Genisys was evident of this and tried to reboot, but I think the Terminator well has run dry, a television adaptation like the Sarah Connor Chronicles is probably the more astute path for the material to take and explore, particular with the increasing prospect and relevance of AI.

500 billion would be a gaff (Avatar made around 2 billion from memory), but the gist is correct. 80% of its gross was worldwide. It made money. It grossed more in China than the United States, whilst the likes of Russia, Japan and South Korea were the next best markets, so at least half of the overall gross came from those markets alone. Transformer-style visual action blockbusters easily translatable to places like China tend to do well nowadays.

500 billion would be a gaff (Avatar made around 2 billion from memory), but the gist is correct. 80% of its gross was worldwide. It made money. It grossed more in China than the United States, whilst the likes of Russia, Japan and South Korea were the next best markets, so at least half of the overall gross came from those markets alone. Transformer-style visual action blockbusters easily translatable to places like China tend to do well nowadays.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/search/?q=Terminator

Genisys:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $89,760,956 20.4%
+ Foreign: $350,842,581 79.6%
= Worldwide: $440,603,537
I meant $500m. Sorry, but those figures above obviously make more sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great production and a good cast generally. The problem was the insipid plot and transformers-esque array of robots, clearly there for merchandising purposes.

The final 'twist' was straight out of Return of the Jedi ffs.

I'll give it some credit for being the only one to break the obvious formula and show the broader universe. It just did it badly.

I beg to disagree. Terminator is essentially more of a formula than a franchise. That formula of slasher suspense and isolating stakes is best accentuated in a pre-war scenario, with inevitably diminishing results after a few initial spins. I think Salvation made a good fist of it, but by that point the cliches the franchise relies upon, not to mention the loyalty to the Connors, just bogs down, constricts and dead ends. Genisys was evident of this and tried to reboot, but I think the Terminator well has run dry, a television adaptation like the Sarah Connor Chronicles is probably the more astute path for the material to take and explore, particular with the increasing prospect and relevance of AI.

You could still make a good future war movie in the Terminator universe. It would be easier to start from scratch with a Humans At War With Robots movie because you're right it was never intended as a franchise but without the branding they wouldn't get the funding or the guaranteed mouth breather audience.

Except for fancypants movies made for the Oscars or because an actor wants "can actually act" on their biography Hollywood is all about recycling brands now.

Jason Clarke was among the least of Genisys' problems.

After all the famous films and tv shows he has been in, he is just that guy who appeared in a few Blue Heelers eps to you?
He was garbage in this, couldn't take him seriously at all. Mind you the bloke that played Reese wasn't much better.

Rewatched this today. Some of the dialog early in the movie is laughably bad. But the action, effects and cinematography are done well. The plot hangs together ok. Sam Worthington did a good job as did Alton Yeltsin. Christian Bale struggled with the poor material he was given. I'm always a sucker for giant robots that honk as they destroy things.

6/10.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back