Terminator (T8, reboot again?)

Remove this Banner Ad

BlackColdAtlasmoth-size_restricted.gif

James Cameron reveals discussions over new Terminator movie​

James Cameron has revealed that another Terminator film is currently "in discussion."

The acclaimed filmmaker recently spoke on the SmartLess podcast with hosts Jason Bateman, Sean Hayes and Will Arnett, where talks about artificial intelligence got him onto the topic of a Terminator reboot.

He said: "If I were to do another Terminator film and maybe try to launch that franchise again, which is in discussion, but nothing has been decided, I would make it much more about the AI side of it than bad robots gone crazy."

What A New Terminator Must Fix About The Series​

Several of the later Terminator sequels struggled due to trying to continue on from the first two while recycling the elements that made them work. Arnie's T-800 went from cool anti-hero to dorky, one-liner-spouting dad, while the new Terminator villains lacked menace. The sequels also kept setting up more entries that were abandoned when the next film hit the reset switch. The first thing a new Terminator must do is bring the series back to its core concepts while updating its themes for modern viewers.

That's what Dark Fate tried but failed to do because it relied too much on nostalgia. Since issues like A.I. and automated warfare are way more topical in the 21st century than when the series began, that's a good starting point. The seventh film should also tap into Terminator's horror/slasher roots, and focus on making the titular cyborg truly terrifying again. Arnie T-800 and Robert Patrick's T-1000 were scary villains, while none of their successors matched up. A great antagonist is key to the success of a Terminator movie, and like the first two, the whole story must feel like a relentless chase.

James Cameron Revels Biggest Terminator Franchise Regret​

While talking with Esquire to discuss his long-awaited Avatar: The Way of Water, James Cameron reflected on his time creating the Terminator movie franchise. The three-time Oscar winner revealed his biggest regret from the sci-fi action series stemmed from its fetishization of guns, looking towards real-world events as alienating him from such. See what Cameron shared below:

My own personal perspective is that the quest for Terminator to break new ground and be different enough and bigger each time has drifted the franchise into being driven by special effects and far less playing on the very real human fears of being hunted by something unrelenting and unable to be reasoned with, losing it's heart and humanity.

The first one worked because it was super small scale, really just three characters and the audience had Sarah Connor to relate to, she was all of us and we rode the fear with her. By the time T2 came along John was still all of us with Sarah moving into the hardened hero role of his father.

T2 was about a future robot saving a boy and his mother from another future robot, but the heart of the movie was the young boy saving his mother and the CS Model 101 Terminator from becoming the same cold clinical machines they were fighting against.

Now the audience knows the score, they know the tropes, they know the cliches - it's all happening in a world apart from them where as the first two could have been going on a suburb over or even to them personally - which is the emotional connection the films need.

I hope they go down the path of remaking T3. Just start it again and ignore the other films. The ultimate futility of the current third film just leaves a bad taste in the mouth walking out, they didn't win, they just didn't lose entirely.

They need to come up with something as scary as the hand that will grab your foot when you step out of bed in the middle of the night, that will wait until you're asleep to get you so you better stay away clutching your pillow. Where you can't trust your own family.

If James Cameron doesn't make it they should at the very least get a story treatment from him (and compensate him well). I feel the same way about the Jurassic franchise. Draw from the master Spielberg himself or fuhgeddaboudit.

If James Cameron doesn't make it they should at the very least get a story treatment from him (and compensate him well). I feel the same way about the Jurassic franchise. Draw from the master Spielberg himself or fuhgeddaboudit.
While James Cameron has made some truly impressive films, I don't think he is the greatest writer and Terminator wouldn't live or die on his story treatment. Avatar and Titanic are unoriginal stories lifted up by special effects and visual. And remember, he helped provide the story for Dark Fate.

Essentially what resulted in Dark Fate :p

Tim Miller was the director, but James Cameron pulled most of the strings. You can argue that he improved it (nobody knows what Tim Miller's ultimate vision would have turned out like) - apparently there were a lot of edits and directional changes at Cameron's request (he was meant to stay in the shadows but ended up being a back seat driver!).

Dark Fate was a decent movie and would have been a worthy Terminator 3..... if Terminator 3 ROTM, Salvation and Genesys didn't exist :p. Quite a few of Dark Fate's ideas came from those movies in the first place.

I'd like to see what they would do in a rebooted reboot. Start fresh no Sarah Connor/John Connor/Arnie. Terminator in name only not related to the past.

Not sure what the status is, but there's meant to be an anime in the works NETFLIX Terminator Anime Series To Receive TV-MA Rating | TheTerminatorFans.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While James Cameron has made some truly impressive films, I don't think he is the greatest writer and Terminator wouldn't live or die on his story treatment. Avatar and Titanic are unoriginal stories lifted up by special effects and visual. And remember, he helped provide the story for Dark Fate.

Essentially what resulted in Dark Fate :p

Tim Miller was the director, but James Cameron pulled most of the strings. You can argue that he improved it (nobody knows what Tim Miller's ultimate vision would have turned out like) - apparently there were a lot of edits and directional changes at Cameron's request (he was meant to stay in the shadows but ended up being a back seat driver!).

Dark Fate was a decent movie and would have been a worthy Terminator 3..... if Terminator 3 ROTM, Salvation and Genesys didn't exist :p. Quite a few of Dark Fate's ideas came from those movies in the first place.

I'd like to see what they would do in a rebooted reboot. Start fresh no Sarah Connor/John Connor/Arnie. Terminator in name only not related to the past.

Not sure what the status is, but there's meant to be an anime in the works NETFLIX Terminator Anime Series To Receive TV-MA Rating | TheTerminatorFans.com
Didn’t know any of this. Point made haha.

I agree that a fresh start is the way to go, Arnie and the Connors just makes the Terminator world feel too small.

I’m cynical about Terminator though. *in JJ Abrams or Michael Bay will probably get dibs instead of someone good.

T3 gets an unfair rap. It's a decent film.

Everything post T3 is pure trash
With a bit of editing I think it could genuinely be made into a far superior product.

I agree I do like T3 as IMO it continues with the story and suggests that Judgement Day is inevitable as its premise.

It also shows how John Connor ended up becoming this leader of the resistance in the final act of the movie.

Where it fails is that its compared to T2 and nothing can beat T2 unfortunately.

Is it fair to say that any future Terminator movies need to do away with Arnie? Unless for only the smallest cameos.

I know that he was a huge part of it but I think he discredits it now as its like they have to write him in to it 'just because'..

I think for it to hit modern times, it needs to revolutionise beyond him

And I promise by saying this not trying to play him down, I'm a huge Arnie fan

Is it fair to say that any future Terminator movies need to do away with Arnie? Unless for only the smallest cameos.

I know that he was a huge part of it but I think he discredits it now as its like they have to write him in to it 'just because'..

I think for it to hit modern times, it needs to revolutionise beyond him

And I promise by saying this not trying to play him down, I'm a huge Arnie fan
When they used Arnie's image in Salvation, he reminded of that intimidating aura he carried in T1.

In Genisys he became a bit more of a cartoon, which carried onto Dark Fate.

If they go full reboot again, they need a completely new cast and new storyline and new characters.

When they used Arnie's image in Salvation, he reminded of that intimidating aura he carried in T1.

In Genisys he became a bit more of a cartoon, which carried onto Dark Fate.

If they go full reboot again, they need a completely new cast and new storyline and new characters.

Dark Fate absolutely butchered his character. The softer and comedic overtones of the T-800 started in T3 (albeit a few moments in T2), Genesys elevated it and then Dark Fate pissed all over it.

Arnie is just so inextricably tied to the franchise. When you think Terminator, you think Arnie.

I like the idea of recycling the prominent actors from either T1 and/or T2 for any subsequent film in the franchise, but it would need to complement the storyline. Getting Kyle Reese or the T-1000 into a story would be great, but needs the storyline to match.

Unfortunately all of these actors are getting on in age so if they want to invest in a reboot or continuing the Franchise then they need to invest in a marketable cast that can carry it.

The Sarah Connor Chronicles at least tried doing something interesting with it. The films have just endlessly recycled old elements and butchered canon.

At this point a soft reboot set in the same universe as the first two but with few or no references to them is the best option. The Connors, changing history, Arnie, T800 etc have been done to death. A story about how the AI developed or about characters fighting in the future war might work.

I like what they did with the new Planet of the Apes trilogy. Some Easter eggs etc but didn’t get caught up in the source material and told new stories with mostly new characters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back