FTA-TV Top Gear Australia (Reboot)

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 2, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not sure if BBC are flogging a dead horse but TGA is coming back featuring Moog from Mighty Car Mods.

I hope they give him some creative freedom otherwise this show will flop again.

Literally without Clarkson, Hammond & May this show just doesn't quite work. Either it needs a completely individual format to work or I dunno.. the show only works because of the chemistry of the hosts and this takes time to develop. Look at the early seasons of the original Top Gear pre May etc, they sucked. it took quite a while before it all started to click.

I only watched Top Gear when Clarkson, Hammond and May were hosting it, it was their chemistry and quality banter that made the show.

It didn't matter if you were a car nut or not, the show was more like a comedy show when they were hosting it, their road trips were a hoot.

I only watched Top Gear when Clarkson, Hammond and May were hosting it, it was their chemistry and quality banter that made the show.

It didn't matter if you were a car nut or not, the show was more like a comedy show when they were hosting it, their road trips were a hoot.

Yeah, it definitely evolved way past reviewing cars and this is precisely what other attempts will fail so dismally at.

Even watching any of the Grand Tour episodes, the chemistry these blokes have is simply unmatchable and I'd probably even add that there's that 'britishness' to it too, that gives it a tiny flavour that Americans/Aussies cannot replicate. I thought this was pretty obvious when Matt Le Blanc took over.

This is one of the most pointless things I can think of. Now there's no actual Australian cars, there's pretty much nothing left to give this any local reverence beyond what you can already see on drive.com.au or something.

The uncomfortable truth about classic Top Gear is as well, the chemistry of the hosts worked because you had three kinda similar people all bouncing off each other. Three... middle aged white men of middle-upper class. Speaking their middle aged white men language leaning on their life experience as middle upper white men for humour and context.

No longer are shows cast for 'passion for the topics and chemistry with each other'. The moment you compromise that, you are less likely to find it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back