Mega Thread The AFL Website officially stinks - Post everything to do with the major embarrasment here

Remove this Banner Ad

The online website is a great improvement over their last attempts. They really should have had this style in place the last time the revamped it.

But kudos to them... it is a much cleaner place to visit and the stats page is a huge improvement... it would be great to be able to drill-down to the individual player level though. They need to add in a link to that level of statistics.

Otherwise 7/10.

Cluttered, clunky, and convoluted. Way too much going on and far too much emphasis on things most AFL fans don't care about.

Yep much better than before but until they piss off all the Telstra garbage and the million ads, it has much room for improvement.

The $140mill Telstra payed from online rights is nothing.
Next agreement the AFL should really take online rights completely in house and follow the steps of MLB and NHL by offering HD live games across all devices for the right price, independent of a telco.

By then the NBN will be in full swing and HD video content will be the minimum.

Won't even be close.

It even has it's own 404 "Out of bounds" page

http://www.afl.com.au/afl/404.aspx?redirect=afl

imagepup.jpg

Cluttered, clunky, and convoluted. Way too much going on and far too much emphasis on things most AFL fans don't care about.
You mean like the section they have on news stories re Tippett?

Your right Silent Alarm, most AFL fans don't care about things like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aren't they moving to the .afl domain in 2013? It will be like westcoast.afl and collingwood.afl

Does that mean the main site will be changed to afl.afl with afl.com.au linking to this page?

And all the state leagues will do the same? WAFL.afl

Hopefully people in the pioneer states dont start largely referring to our game as AFL.

Looks like its optimised for Internet Explorer, hardly a step up.
^ Bingo.

A few points...

I'm a Mac user so I'm quite used to this site running like a pile of sh!t, but getting this result on Chrome, Firefox and Safari is just taking the piss. I've always believed that the AFL assumes that everyone using their site has the latest and fastest PC and they haven't let me down with this 'upgrade' :rolleyes:

'we've spent a year designing, developing and testing the new site' my butthole

It still runs slowly too

Navigation bar aside, I don't mind the layout

Overall, 2 and half stars from me Margaret

screenshotaflu.png

Looks like its optimised for Internet Explorer, hardly a step up.
I can't get it to load at all on Firefox 17 or iPad w/ iOS 6. IE8 however does work. * me.

edit: can get the mobile version going on the iPhone, takes an age to load though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back