Discussion The Blockbuster: Round 12 vs Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Montagna probably won't be available for the match next week.
Gram - 7 contested possessions, 4 clearances, 4 tackles
Gamble - 8 contested possessions, 1 clearance, 7 tackles, 1 goal

Agree with this

Yep, thought Gram, Gamble and Clarke held their own in a match where there were many skill errors and turnovers....

Too good in the end.

4 goal loss doesn't sting as much as a 123 point one though.

Tom Williams can play Riewoldt pretty well :)

I was actually quite happy with Vegas tonight. Good forward pressure, layed plenty of good tackles.

Clarke was just ok. Beat his man on many occasions, however could have provided a lot more critical 1%'s which he didn't.

Gram and Gilbert need to be dropped, no questions asked. Look shadows of their former selves, and didn't look like they wanted to be there tonight.

Very very impressed with Steven, Ray and Armitage tonight. Gee whiz Armo is one tough bugger!

I still don't know why we don't move the ball faster towards the forward 50 though. We are playing a faster brand of footy this year, but we tend to seek out options and hold it up more once we're in our attacking half. Considering we have a fairly potent forward line, that were against an undermanned backline tonight, I think we should have won by 40+ points.

I wasn't happy with tonight's performance to say the least. Alas, a win is a win...

I wouldn't mind seeing Baker try to play a bit of a Hamill role up forward.

call me supercoach but Baker to the forwardline was a masterstroke, Higgins was nullified and my man Baker kicked the sealer. :thumbsu:

How bad was Gilbert,:thumbsdown: any coincidences with his form this week after 2-3 decent weeks?

Good win guys. It was a fair old scrap, but you guys probably deserved it in the end. We couldn't get a goal to save ourselves.

Love watching Jack Steven. 10+ tackles for the kid, had another good game. He is coming along very nicely.

Good luck for the rest of the year.

Hard to assess Gamble's game. Was instrumental in the Saints having 15 inside 50 tackles to 4 (and snagged a tough shot on goal) but I didn't feel as though he gave us a huge amount otherwise.

Raph was stiff. That free to Picken really was horrid. An OK game which included some good tackles. Ran the game out pretty well.

Thought Zac showed exactly why he gets a game. Very composed in the air but also added to this with shepherds, tackles and some hitouts.

That umpire #29 is shocking. Pretty much every howler was at his hand. Don't want to see him again for a while.

How's Baker getting a jumper tug pretty much dead in front but having to take the free nearly on the boundary??? Thank god he's a dead eye dick :D

Well done to Macca BTW - tough gig to carry the rucks. Would have liked to see Roo help out more often around the ground. Hopefully someone plays well in the VFL and Macca gets some help next week.

Not sure about SImmo if he's going to need subbing off each game - although I still like him as a player of the future as he'll get stronger and fitter.

Decent hit out, need a load of improvement to come fast though.

We really should have thrown Steven into the centre a lot sooner than what we did (in terms of the year, not just the dogs game). Not sure if the stats back it up, but it seemed every time we had a clearance, he had something to do with it.

Riewoldt looked better, but was well played by his opponent. It's amazing how much better he looks when the ball is being placed in front of him rather than on his head.

Clint Jones being the first option for a handball after a mark or whatever is not a good thing. Love his workrate, his negating skills, his attack on the contest... But he cannot kick at a VFL standard let alone AFL. It's a danger whenever he has it.

Simpkin still looks a little overawed to me, like what he's shown but sometimes he hesitates, and it gets him into problems. Would love to see him get picked for another 5 weeks or so, see how he's going once he's settled in.

I wasn't a fan of our changes... but they weren't our worst tonight. Only issue is that they all made some errors, that will be incredibly costly next week.

I think Armitage is the kind of player we will have to learn to ignore the stats with... The amount of times I've seen him under a pack, unable to get a handball out... well I reckon his disposal count would double weekly if he could find some way of getting it out. I think he's the best tackler at the club as well.

I just hope we stick with the youngsters and don't fall back into last years side cos we're playing Geelong.

Finally, it is always excellent news when we win on a friday night, just gives the weekend that little bit extra :D

Overall the match was a scrappy win that fluctuated between being a tough contest and resembling special children attempting circle work. I'll go through my thoughts player by player

Gram - Shocking. Does not deserve a spot in the side ahead of someone actually willing to go for a hard ball or seriously apply pressure. He waits outside of contests for an easy kick and if the opposition come out with the footy he waits until they're off balance while kicking the footy so he can bump them without getting hurt. This softness may be forgiven if he used the ball well but he still butchers it.

Steven - Really promising game. Applied manic pressure and was good in the clearances. Must have been at 75% of the centre bounces for the match and to me seems to be in training as the next Lenny.

Jones - Tried his guts out but kept on panicking under pressure and turning the ball over. Had at least five handballs miss the target and fall at the feat of a team mate under pressure who was promptly tackled. Got lots of the ball but didn't use it.

McEvoy - One of his best games to date. Really competed well with the Bulldogs rucks in the hitouts, was a huge presence around the ground and his quick handballing from the bottom of packs is fantastic. A couple of goals started from handballs from McEvoy shooting out to the running player. His improvement over the past month or so has been enormous.

Dawson - I wanted him dropped this week but he came out and played a really solid match. Didn't lose a contest and used the ball pretty well. Also laid a couple of very solid tackles.

Clarke - Had two bullshit free kicks paid against him which resulted in goals but generally played pretty well. He makes the simple look incredibly difficult, but also takes the game on more than most and usually does it pretty well. He should be able to gain some confidence from this game and try to launch his season again.

Baker - Shut down Higgins in the second half who was killing us and managed a rare goal. Did his job

Riewoldt - Becoming more of a Ryan O'Keefe type half forward than a superstar CHF. He played a decent game, but is nowhere near as damaging as he has been in the past.

Schneider - Didn't have a great day. Missed some sitters in front of goal and didn't have a huge impact. Was limping around for a while and refused to leave the field even though he could barely jog for five minutes.

Gamble - Fumbled his way through the match, losing most contests he was involved in and only managing weak, easily broken tackles while his opponent runs away with the footy. Not an AFL player in any way and should not be considered again unless Milne, Schneider, Siposs, Johnson and Lynch are all injured. Don't be fooled by the stats; he had a very ordinary game.

Goddard - Is getting back into some good form but is not quite at his best. Won a fair bit of the ball but wasn't as damaging as he can be. The effort and intensity was there though, so his best won't be far away. I loved the way he runs straight towards the opposition when they have the footy; in this age of 'coralling' and zones he just charges full flight at the bloke who usually craps himself and coughs up the footy.

Gilbert - Played the worst game of his career to date. Had an absolute stinker and doesn't seem to have a position. Started forward, went back, was moved into the midfield and generally doesn't look like he knows what he's doing. He needs to be given a role to stick to.

Armitage - Pressures and tackles like an absolute madman. He gets the ball forward in contested situations through sheer will and had a significance influence on the game. For some reason he was hardly used in the middle, if at all. He's going ok from half forward but he could tear a game apart from the centre.

Ray - Has obviously been asked to step up as a senior midfielder with Lenny and Joey out and did a decent job. Disposal was a bit scrappy but the effort and intensity was there. It is good however to see him use the opposite foot when needed. We have so many one sided players in the team but Ray is one who can bang it on the left when needed.

Dempster - Really solid. After an ordinary start to the season he's been stringing some good footy together. Was good defensively and used the footy well.

Fisher - Clearly BOG. Took a huge amount of contested marks from opposition kicks and is just so reliable in any situation. Fast becoming the best defender St Kilda has ever had. He doesn't even need to spoil any more, he just reads it better and marks.

Dal Santo - I was shocked to see that he only had 16 touches as he undoubtedly had an influence on the game. Most of his disposals were either clearances or involved in a scoring shot. The stats don't look good but he played a decent game.

Peake - Very good game. His decision making under pressure is much improved and he hasn't been wasting the footy. Runs as hard as anyone on the ground and it's good to see he's getting results. I had completely written him off a month ago, but since his inclusion he has been playing some really solid footy.

Simpkin - Great effort but at the moment his mind is stuck at VFL level. He has been outclassed by AFL players and his decision making is slow and terrible. His pure defensive work isn't too bad, but he looks a little off the pace at the moment.

Gwilt - Another solid game. Got a fair bit of the footy and used it well. Has become a vital cog in defence.

Ledger - Was a little shaky once he came on but still made an impact and it was great to see him get his first goal. Puts himself into the contest with great enthusiasm even though not all of his disposals were effective. It was good to see he recovered from an embarassing backwards tumble with the ball flying over his head. Hopefully he gets a full game next week.

Milne - Kicked a couple and set up a couple. Classic standard Milney game, really.

For next week we MUST include one of Kosi or Archer as a deep forward target and ruck relief. I also don't want to see Gram or Gamble keep their spots, hopefully with Siposs or Lynch gets the forward spot and Smith gets a go as the sub. Personally I'd send Simpkin back to the VFL but Geelong's abundance of tall forwards might see him retained

Team v Geelong

B: Gwilt, Dawson, Dempster
HB: Gilbert, Fisher, Clarke
C: Jones, Armitage, Goddard
HF: Schneider, Riewoldt, Ray
F: Milne, Koschitzke, Lynch

Foll: McEvoy, Dal Santo, Steven
Int: Peake, Ledger, Baker
Sub: Smith

Emg: Siposs, Walsh, Polo

OUT: Gram, Gamble, Simpkin
IN: Smith, Lynch, Koschitzke

the body language and attitude of the players was really pleasing. they looked like completely different people, like a weights been lifted off their shoulders and theyre just enjoying playing footy with each other.

something tells me we've turned the corner. we might not win a premiership this year but atleast were not doing backwards anymore!!!

Wait, I'm reading criticism for Raph Clarke? What the hell did he do wrong? No, seriously. I'm sick of hearing this.

Gram was absolutely hopeless. In for no reason, out for a good reason. Omit him. End of. Montagna should be fit for next week anyway.

Gamble was useless. Did absolutely nothing. Weak, can't get himself anywhere near the ball or any contest, won't hold his opponent.

Going forward was like goddman fumble city. Really screwed it.

Thanks Goddard for one of the highlights of the season.

Frustrating win.

We must have been watching different games.

I thought Gram and Gamble were pretty good. Gram still isn't at his best but he gave us some much needed experience, class and poise in the midfield.

Gamble didn't kick many goals but he worked hard defensively and laid some great tackles which is something he has lacked in the past. I reckon he did enough to earn himself a gig against his old mob next week.

Raph Clarke was OK but not convinced he did enough to keep his place, still made some bad mistakes at times.

Just finished watching the replay here and I forgot how good Dawson was, his attack on the ball was sensational. Must have got a rev up for being too soft last week, the cougar was back in force this week.:thumbsu:

Baker was sensational too, all the talk of him retiring will have to go on hold. There's plenty of life in the old dog yet.

I thought Gram and Gamble were pretty good. Gram still isn't at his best but he gave us some much needed experience, class and poise in the midfield.

Gamble didn't kick many goals but he worked hard defensively and laid some great tackles which is something he has lacked in the past. I reckon he did enough to earn himself a gig against his old mob next week.

Raph Clarke was OK but not convinced he did enough to keep his place, still made some bad mistakes at times.

Just finished watching the replay here and I forgot how good Dawson was, his attack on the ball was sensational. Must have got a rev up for being too soft last week, the cougar was back in force this week.:thumbsu:

Baker was sensational too, all the talk of him retiring will have to go on hold. There's plenty of life in the old dog yet.

I agree with this. :thumbsu:

I agree with plugger too.
Gram actually looked really good at stages, sold the dummy on numerous occasions and did you SEE that one handed intercept in the middle of the ground? he was good.

As was gamble, i'm actually shocked to see all the hate for him this morning, he provided so much pressure and actually provided a half decent option in the 50. He was a bit clumsy at times but was anyone clean?

Umpiring was a disaster for both teams, hands down worst umpiring i've seen this season, maybe the worst ever?

Clarke could have 45 possessions, 15 tackles and 5 goals and would still be criticised by some for 1 clanger... I thought he was quite good today, ran all day, no significant errors (kicked it long when he ddin't see an option but did set up Gwilt running a few times), courageous as always and I was close to giving him a vote just for that big sheperd towards the end (something we see far too little of compared to Geelong or C'woood).

I also thought Gram was good, he did the job replacing Montagna with four clearances and got his hands to the ball a lot (and 4 tackles may be a career best for him...).

Not sure what you expected from Gamble, but I will never complain about 8 contested possessions and 7 tackles (and an important goal when we needed it). He should keep his spot.

But I do agree that the game was frustrating to watch - yet a win is a win and if someone can wake up Gilbert for next week, we have another reality check / major opportunity for a momentum switch against the best (we would have beaten them if it weren't for... oh well, that's history) before a run of supposedly easier games.

R Clarke:
Ist 1/2 missed kick to Roo for what should have been a goal, turned over goal to Dogs...12 points
Clarke round neck 6 points to dogs
Clarke in the back 6 pts to dogs
Clarke missed tackle 6 points to dogs

30 points against him for his inability to play at the elite level in the first 1/2 alone. I gave up counting then. Just watched the innumerable missed tackles and marks.

Jones heaps of possession, nearly all turned over due to poor kicking and handball skills.

Baker.....please retire now while we have plenty of good memories.

Gilbert.... is there a brain in there?

Crappy game but at least a win, its going to be a long ugly rest of the season if RL doesn't persist with the new blood.

By the way I don't want to see Kosi play again, protect his health please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

can anyone tell me who was on djekkura last night?
we were lucky he made some bad decisions and couldn't kick straight.... he was ALWAYS unmarked...

CJ shouldn't be doing anything but tagging. I don't ever want to see him try to rack up possessions because whenever he gets one he gives it straight back anyway. And Raph, what can you say really. He's been beyond terrible for years now but for some reason he continues to get an opportunity. Enough already Ross, just move on.

I rated Bakes last night. Not sensational but when is Bakes ever sensational? He just did his job, and put the clamp on Higgins (who was picking up heaps of the ball before Bakes went near).

I thought Gamble was good too. I don't rate him as our second target which he sorta played as when Gilbert (who is on my DT, and was woeful) went back, but he was very good last night. We needed Stanley or Kosi to provide a bigger target forward, but Gamble did good last night.

Fair to say Clarke didn't exactly regain his VFL form, but he was OK tonight. I would like him to improve on tonight to keep his spot going forward but he was OK tonight. That Picken decision on him was a howler, so that's hardly his fault.

I can't find anyone to drop on last nights performance, which is an OK sign. Most were average, but no real standout terrible players IMO. We could drop Gilbert, but he did play as a forward for a long time, which did no help for him as the ball never went anywhere near him. I think we need a ruckman though, so my change would be

IN: Walsh/Stanley/Archer
OUT: Simpkin

If Montagna is fit, he'll obviously come back in, possibly at the expense of either Clarke or Ledger, although Ledger hasn't been given an opportunity to really show his wares yet.

The rationale is that if we don't play another tall against Geelong Scarlett will show us no respect like last time and kill us coming out of defense. Walsh hasn't been playing as a forward, but we need a ruckman to help Macca as well. Gwilt is no ruckman. Simmo done nothing much wrong, but on matchups, I feel he has to go.

I think we have to look at next weeks matchups.

Bakes was very good as a defensive forward. Do we throw him on Milburn, Enright or Mackie?

Dempster will go to Stevie J again IMO.

Geelong are playing with J-Pod lead up forward, Vardy Goalsquare and Ottens Ruck. Do we need to rethink the (very) tall back 50?

Having no 2nd Key forward means both Taylor and Scarlett can zone off to help Lonergan with Roo. Someone, whether that's Johnson, Walsh, Archer, Stanley or Kosi needs to come in and Help up there.

I think we have to look at next weeks matchups.

Bakes was very good as a defensive forward. Do we throw him on Milburn, Enright or Mackie?

Dempster will go to Stevie J again IMO.

Geelong are playing with J-Pod lead up forward, Vardy Goalsquare and Ottens Ruck. Do we need to rethink the (very) tall back 50?

Having no 2nd Key forward means both Taylor and Scarlett can zone off to help Lonergan with Roo. Someone, whether that's Johnson, Walsh, Archer, Stanley or Kosi needs to come in and Help up there.

Ross agree's so it might happen.
He may extend his career, too bad for the haters.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/116041/default.aspx

Raph clarke was ok seems to be lost and unsure when he gets the ball, dont think st kilds more attacking style suits him because he if too slow to get rid of the ball, mabe a move to the forward line would be the next option for him

gram deserves to keep his place did some brilliant things but also fumbled a bit. not afraid to take the player on and run with the ball which is what saints have lacked

I agree with plugger too.
Gram actually looked really good at stages, sold the dummy on numerous occasions and did you SEE that one handed intercept in the middle of the ground? he was good.

As was gamble, i'm actually shocked to see all the hate for him this morning, he provided so much pressure and actually provided a half decent option in the 50. He was a bit clumsy at times but was anyone clean?

Umpiring was a disaster for both teams, hands down worst umpiring i've seen this season, maybe the worst ever?

Yeah that was a great intercept, came at a crucial time too as the Dogs were away if he didn't get it. Gram just bobbed up at crucial times all night, just has the experience to know where to put himself and has all the little tricks like his sidestep to get out of trouble. Still not in top form yet as he missed a couple of those trademark long bomb goals but more than justified his selection I thought.

Still think we need to get another tall marking target at full forward. So many times we either fiddled around with it going forward due to not having a tall marking target or just bombed long to no one. One of Kosi, Stanley or Archer needs to play up forward to either take a mark or at least create a spillage for the crumbers to feed off.

I guess when Gardiner comes back both him and McEvoy can rotate up forward too.

No Hall, Lake, Cooney. I'm disappointed we struggled to break the game open to be honest.

We still have too many sub-standard players on the team.

Still got plenty of youth to bring in so for now I'm happy with the win but 12 goals is a joke and isn't going to win many games.

R Clarke:
Ist 1/2 missed kick to Roo for what should have been a goal, turned over goal to Dogs...12 points
Clarke round neck 6 points to dogs
Clarke in the back 6 pts to dogs
Clarke missed tackle 6 points to dogs

30 points against him for his inability to play at the elite level in the first 1/2 alone. I gave up counting then. Just watched the innumerable missed tackles and marks.

Whow - there really is only one post that can take it up with this - the legendary:

This is what is needed at the end of this season.....

Player
D.O.B.
Action
Steve Baker
22/05/1980
Trade for any pick under 30, if no takers, keep.
Jason Blake
15/03/1981
Raphael Clarke
24/09/1985
Xavier Clarke
28/09/1983
Trade for any pick under 25, if no takers, keep.
Aaron Fiora
19/04/1981
Trade for any pick under 45, if no takers, de-list.
Michael Gardiner
05/07/1979
Trade for any pick, if no takers, de-list.
Fraser Gehrig
03/03/1976
Retire.
Robert Harvey
21/08/1971
Retire.
Lenny Hayes
14/01/1980
Trade for any pick under 20, if no takers, keep.
Max Hughton
02/09/1976
Retire.
Steven King
22/11/1978
Retire.
Stephen Milne
08/03/1980
Michael Rix
01/08/1981
Trade for any pick, if no takers, de-list.

Seriously, KF, you should stick to writing about the handicapper and alcohol. Your footy related posts are just negative and full of hatred and personal attacks against our players. Makes KissStephanie pleasant reading at times.

can anyone tell me who was on djekkura last night?
we were lucky he made some bad decisions and couldn't kick straight.... he was ALWAYS unmarked...

I believe Dempster started on him, but he seemed to be rotated off with the rotations the dogs did forward that he probably ended up on Raph & Gilbo at some stages, as he did push into the midfield to lose any sort of marking that goes on which is the same thing that Zaharakis does before floating back into CHF unmarked.

Juggalo Balla said:
No Hall, Lake, Cooney. I'm disappointed we struggled to break the game open to be honest.

We still have too many sub-standard players on the team.

Still got plenty of youth to bring in so for now I'm happy with the win but 12 goals is a joke and isn't going to win many games.

The thing with known quantities is that you know what the output has to be in order to match or surpass your opponent, unknown quantities you end up either overcomitting or not paying enough respect most of the time and they'll burn you for it if they're a good sort. If you look at who did a fair chunk of damage it was more the "newbies" + Boyd, so it's probably where it's at and if this was played again in 8 weeks you'd expect a greater margin.

Anyway, I disliked the game, far too many skill errors and the amount of times the player just outright fumbled was atrocious (like Milnes sharp handball to Goddard who simply dropped it, left it behind and then Milne had to follow up when otherwise BJ would have taken it and run on to goal if we were in form) yes you can't fault the effort or the attempt to get back into form since you have to run through things in order to break it, but at the same time I am tired of seeing blokes balls it up throwing the head back at the balls up and simply watching it turn over. And this match had it on both sides that it was like the ball was a goddamn yo-yo which is just atrocious.

many good points raised.

it seems whenever gilbert has started forward hes had a stinker of a game but his better matches have been when hes been set in the backline from the start.

im pleased with jack steven finally we have some really promising youngster whos getting the ball and applying good pressure.

gram was ok just lacking a lot of confidence i think. same with a lot of players. gamble was ok because of his pressure and few good tackles resulting in holding the ball.

armo is coming along surely but slowly and his kicking has definitely improved. clint jones is an interesting player because hes good pretty good speed, gets plenty of the ball its just his disposal. i agree with someone who said he shouldnt be the first handball target. if his disposal was great he would be close to an elite midfielder.

pleased with mcevoy, fisher and gwilt as they give great games every week. i think the main problem as leigh mathews put it was they have just been playing games of football because its their living, there is no huge emotion or dedication to win matches, its just playing because they have to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back