The cost of the legal battle if it proceeds

Remove this Banner Ad

Can the AFL assure all the clean clubs that their 2014 annual AFL distribution won't be impacted? Can the legal costs be taken from Essendon's 2014 distribution should that club cause such costs unnecessarily?

Would they warn them of this possibility before hand or is it written into the AFL rules that every club must receive their distribution?

Can the AFL assure all the clean clubs that their 2014 annual AFL distribution won't be impacted? Can the legal costs be taken from Essendon's 2014 distribution should that club cause such costs unnecessarily?

Would they warn them of this possibility before hand or is it written into the AFL rules that every club must receive their distribution?
Money again.

No wonder the sport is in a mess

Paul Little is about the 30th richest man in the country, worth a billion or so. He has pretty deep pockets if he decides to fight.

He didn't get that rich by pissing away money.

Even he will have limits on how much he will spend which the AFL will match.

Paul Little is about the 30th richest man in the country, worth a billion or so. He has pretty deep pockets if he decides to fight.
Rich people are rich for a reason. They are tight and don't part with money willy-nilly.
The legal cost will drain EFC resources - just how much will depend on the egos involved at that club.

Maybe, but should the matter go to court, nobody would be silly enough to throw good money after bad if any decision was clear cut. Courts wont allow people to keep an action going just to try to shop arround for the outcome they want.
I dont think it will come to that. It obviously depends on the investigation findings. The AFL would view any challenge to their view on governance matters very poorly. They would get their way, one way or the
other.
If EFC do have a legitimate grievance, then so be it. But if they are just trying to bully the AFL, it will endbadly for them, now or in the future IMO.

He didn't get that rich by pissing away money.

Even he will have limits on how much he will spend which the AFL will match.

Exactly right, why would Little tip in millions on something that is not directly related to his business dealings ??

There is silly and then there is plain stupid and I think that fall under the latter.

You don't become the 30th richest man in the country by pissing all your own money away on your hobby.

Little will tip in a fair chunk, but I doubt it will be nearly as much as people on here tend to think. I don't think the money that could potentially be spent here would have been beyond what David Evans could have realistically spent himself, had he taken the same approach.

The only real difference here is attitude, not money.

It'll be last man standing with the AFL having the deeper pockets overall. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the other clubs tipped in to the legal fees to make sure the job was done fully & fairly for both parties.
Could be a sensible and prudent financial investment for the team finishing 9th

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fancy having a benevolent billionaire tip funds into your club.

At least Goddard wasn't enticed with a brown paper bag deal from Toll.

Our bloke tipped in money to keep us financially viable, not defend the indefensible.

And wouldn't it be the cherry on top if it was found that Goddard did get a few brown paper bags. :D

Reading probably isn't your strong suit, but if you cast a quick eye over AFL financial statements, I think you'll find they're more than capable of budgeting for and funding any legal costs that may arise, without impacting other areas of their business.

Reading probably isn't your strong suit, but if you cast a quick eye over AFL financial statements, I think you'll find they're more than capable of budgeting for and funding any legal costs that may arise, without impacting other areas of their business.
Operating legals don't equate with QC battles. Much like Essendon's legals budget doesn't.
And as i'm sure you are well aware, in legal battles, many times the loser is ordered to pay the costs of the other party. Sounds like your club is okay with that.

Operating legals don't equate with QC battles. Much like Essendon's legals budget doesn't.
And as i'm sure you are well aware, in legal battles, many times the loser is ordered to pay the costs of the other party. Sounds like your club is okay with that.

I can't see any aspect of this conversation that you would appear to have any meaningful grasp on.

Enjoy. Don't worry, club distributions will not be impacted in any way.

I can't see any aspect of this conversation that you would appear to have any meaningful grasp on.

Enjoy. Don't worry, club distributions will not be impacted in any way.
I will continue to enjoy :thumbsu:
They may not for every other club. That's what every other club should expect. But when you take on City Hall be prepared for backlash in any number of ways. Protecting the egos in this instance will be a very costly exercise and will potentially dwarf any legal budget set aside. No doubt not a problem for you though.

Hird runs the risk of massive financial losses out of this. Not only is he going to have to pay his own legal team, but a loss in the courts will more than likely see cost award against him which means he has to pick up the AFL bill for the costs used to fight him. This will double his costs, add the fact he will more than likely lose his job, the media won't touch him, might have to move out of Toorak.

Hird runs the risk of massive financial losses out of this. Not only is he going to have to pay his own legal team, but a loss in the courts will more than likely see cost award against him which means he has to pick up the AFL bill for the costs used to fight him. This will double his costs, add the fact he will more than likely lose his job, the media won't touch him, might have to move out of Toorak.

Good God, no!

Not to South Yarra? the humanity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back