The Eagles won today because of a extended period of shocking umpiring.

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast absolutely hammered the Kangaroos throughout the entire game in hardball gets. The Kangaroos countered this by tackling lots. Obviously when you tackle more you are going to give away frees now and again. Also Lynch did never dispose of the ball incorrectly. If the player gets rid of the ball more often than not they are allowed to play on (unless it is an insanely long amount of time holding it while being tackled). Cox is a great ruckman and gave McIntosh an absolute bath. Cox is very good at forcing his opponents to infringe him to get to the ball. Unfortunate for his opponents but those are the rules. We see all the Kangaroos complain about the frees the Eagles got but what about the ones that they missed? They missed plenty as well as they did for the Roos too. How about the 30 metre run into goal by Sansbery (I think) in 3rd qtr? I agree the Priddis one was lucky for the Eagles but sometimes you get a bit lucky and sometimes unlucky. Firrito was stupid to do what he did. What good could come from it? Yes it was lucky the decision was reversed but he is not smart to even be in that situation.

One team get's 10 free kicks 8 of which are in their forward 50 and they convert 5 goals. The other team gets 20 free kicks 10 in defence 5 on the wing and 5 in the centre of the ground.
I think I'd rather the 8 in the forward line.
This is a scenario that is not to far from the truth, particularly with this years umpiring.
that preety much somes up what happened on sunday

Where did I say that? You don't take "loosing" very well, do you? :)

just asked the Question?
Did you loose FAIRLY last week?

that preety much somes up what happened on sunday

Is it bad umpiring that most of the NM frees occurred outside of the 50 where as more of ours were inside 50?

I agree, there were some dodgy decisions and a few stand out missed decisions, but they were just as much one way as the other. As is discussed above, many of the issues brought up by NM supporters were not actually wrong decisions.

So...

(a) WC lost in Rd 18 because the umpires screwed them, and won in Rd 19 because the umpires screwed North.

or

(b) WC lost in Rd 18 because they weren't good enough to beat Freo, and won in Rd 19 because they were good enough to beat North.

or

(c) WC are a bunch of sooks who were beaten fairly and squarely by Freo in Rd 18 and the umpiring had no effect whatsoever on the game, and only won in Rd 19 because the totally biased umpiring influenced the game so much that it was too much for North to overcome.

Why do I think everyone will pick (c)? ;)

That's the problem, it ISN'T paid every time.
After one Eagles goal today, someone bumped Corey Jones in the centre of the ground & bowled him over ; the ump saw it & told him to be careful, but chose not to pay a free.
We lost count the number of times West Coast players were pushed/punched/slung behind the play last week and nothing was done about it.

West Coast didn't actually have a whinge about the umpiring as such last week. They said nothing after the game, only after the MRP gave their A OK later in the week, as no one was repremanded for anything that happened, did they ask for clarification as to what was allowed to go on as they had instructed the players not to get involved with argy-bargy. West Coast felt if this was OK (as evidenced by few free kicks being paid and no reports) that they would instruct the players differently.

As for your Corey Jones example, I've got one for you. Cousins last week surrounded by Dockers players and being roughed up by Carr, who had him by the neck of his jumper and was shaking him. The umpire was standing right there going "Just walk away Ben, just walk away!"

As a whole I thought the umpiring was really no worse than most other games. Some kicks missed and given softly to both sides.

Cant believe no-one has mentioned Armstrong who had his head taken off twice in our forward fifty for no reward, but like I said, it happened both ways.

We lost count the number of times West Coast players were pushed/punched/slung behind the play last week and nothing was done about it.

West Coast didn't actually have a whinge about the umpiring as such last week. They said nothing after the game, only after the MRP gave their A OK later in the week, as no one was repremanded for anything that happened, did they ask for clarification as to what was allowed to go on as they had instructed the players not to get involved with argy-bargy. West Coast felt if this was OK (as evidenced by few free kicks being paid and no reports) that they would instruct the players differently.

As for your Corey Jones example, I've got one for you. Cousins last week surrounded by Dockers players and being roughed up by Carr, who had him by the neck of his jumper and was shaking him. The umpire was standing right there going "Just walk away Ben, just walk away!"

As a whole I thought the umpiring was really no worse than most other games. Some kicks missed and given softly to both sides.

Cant believe no-one has mentioned Armstrong who had his head taken off twice in our forward fifty for no reward, but like I said, it happened both ways.
ok you acted on that and obviously it was fixed.

;)
So...

(a) WC lost in Rd 18 because the umpires screwed them, and won in Rd 19 because the umpires screwed North.

or

(b) WC lost in Rd 18 because they weren't good enough to beat Freo, and won in Rd 19 because they were good enough to beat North.

or

(c) WC are a bunch of sooks who were beaten fairly and squarely by Freo in Rd 18 and the umpiring had no effect whatsoever on the game, and only won in Rd 19 because the totally biased umpiring influenced the game so much that it was too much for North to overcome.

Why do I think everyone will pick (c)? ;)

(c) but umpiring wasnt the sole reason we lost, i dont care if they pay 100 free kicks inside 50 IF THEIR THERE, but you must pay the same thing for BOTH Teams, holding the ball should be the same interpritation for both teams, WCE and NMFC not WCE and Umps ;), so pay the frees but pay them to both teams.

If we dont stop this crap it will turn into Soccer, you wil have people falling to ground to Stage for free kicks, when was this apart of the AFL, players that dive should be suspened for a week, its as Caro would say damaging the brand.

Shocking umpiring... But thats just it. It was bad umpiring, no favoritism. Several bad decisions both ways, however the kangaroos really got hit the hardest.

Stop crying about favoritism and protected species. Its the umpires that need to be fixed up, not us or the way we play.

If we dont stop this crap it will turn into Soccer, you wil have people falling to ground to Stage for free kicks, when was this apart of the AFL, players that dive should be suspened for a week, its as Caro would say damaging the brand.

Are you crazy? The eagles almost never stage for free kicks? They are easily one of the better teams over all (with regards to little/no staging/acting).

Some people are idiots...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its the umpires that need to be fixed up, not us or the way we play.
I can agree on that. You see so much variation in the way rules are interpreted from week to week, and during the course of the same game, and wonder how that turkey Gieschen keep his job. What does he actually DO ??????????

;)

(c) but umpiring wasnt the sole reason we lost, i dont care if they pay 100 free kicks inside 50 IF THEIR THERE, but you must pay the same thing for BOTH Teams, holding the ball should be the same interpritation for both teams, WCE and NMFC not WCE and Umps ;), so pay the frees but pay them to both teams.

What frees inside our forward 50 were not there? What ones inside yours should have been there? There are a number more that I can think of which we should have gotten in our f50. Even the biased commentators on the day said they should have been paid.

How will the umpiring on the weekend turn the game into soccer? I can't see how that has any relation to last weeks game.

Surely you're not that naive?

It was a ploy, disguised as being purely innocent and it worked.

What frees inside our forward 50 were not there? What ones inside yours should have been there? There are a number more that I can think of which we should have gotten in our f50. Even the biased commentators on the day said they should have been paid.
OK, you're right, if North hadn't paid the umps off, Eagles would have won by 75 goals.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What frees inside our forward 50 were not there? What ones inside yours should have been there?

It's probably not a good idea to try to explain things to someone who didn't watch the game, but I'll give it a go:

First one: Seaby has eyes on Hamish from a throw-in. Hamish's eyes on the ball. Body contact, free to Seaby, goal.
Was at 13:28 min left in the 2nd quarter if you want to watch it and (try to) dispute it.

I would have simply laughed at the decision for its rediculousness had it not come after 4 very poor umpiring decisions against the roos for the match.

I think it will be much more effective if people take it in turns for suggesting all the poor decisions made in WC F50 rather than me do it in one post.;)

Body contact? If its the one i think you're talking about, as seabs only got the one goal:

Seaby was in front at the throw in, and McIntosh stuck both hands firmly in his back. He didnt just place them either, seaby actually was pushed forward. Free every time, and seaby did well to slot it from 45m on an angle.

If you don't think thats a free, i'm not sure what is...

Body contact? If its the one i think you're talking about, as seabs only got the one goal:

Seaby was in front at the throw in, and McIntosh stuck both hands firmly in his back. He didnt just place them either, seaby actually was pushed forward. Free every time, and seaby did well to slot it from 45m on an angle.

If you don't think thats a free, i'm not sure what is...

Apologies. It may have been Cox in the ruck. The Seaby PITB (9:50 left in the 3rd quarter) was certainly a correct decision. I don't dispute that.

Apologies. It may have been Cox in the ruck. The Seaby PITB (9:50 left in the 3rd quarter) was certainly a correct decision. I don't dispute that.
Try again.

Cox only kicked one goal (roving at the back of the pack in the last) and didn't have any frees paid to him.

He did get 19 disposals, 9 marks and 30 hitouts though, maybe more of a reason why we won than made up goals from free kicks?;)

How will the umpiring on the weekend turn the game into soccer? I can't see how that has any relation to last weeks game.

When priddis insise the 5 metre box in our F50 was tackled by Linsday Thomas was a superb tackle, Priddis Drops the bal (if you dont not what type of free that is its Dropping the ball, could be incorrect disposal), then Priddis Stages for a free, and gets a Push in the Back awarded to him.

And thats just one, watch the game propaly and you will se the rest

Shocking umpiring... But thats just it. It was bad umpiring, no favoritism. Several bad decisions both ways, however the kangaroos really got hit the hardest.

Stop crying about favoritism and protected species. Its the umpires that need to be fixed up, not us or the way we play.

Are you crazy? The eagles almost never stage for free kicks? They are easily one of the better teams over all (with regards to little/no staging/acting).

Some people are idiots...
2 examples i can name from sunday are Priddis inside our Forward 50, and Kerr inside your forward 50, my baby cousin who is 3 wouldnt have fell over, Kerr must be preety week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back