Unsolved The Family Murders

Remove this Banner Ad

The Who's Who List

Out of Sight - The Untold Story of Adelaide's Gay Hate Murders

The Cases of Forensic Pathologist Colin Manock

Use this thread below to lodge media, maps and photos for quick reference.

Last edited:

Do we even know if any of the girls worked and what they did? Did any of them work in the entertainment industry because if we had a stage name we might be able to get something off that?

I think a couple worked in the gay pubs too eg the Green Dragon.

Could have been the one thing b did not talk about was Neil at any point of time . I think the guilt got to him a lot when it came to Neil so he kept what happened there to himself . I know when mr b turned up in court for Richerd’s case bve eyes popped out of his head like he was in shock.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
So BVE had no idea until the trial that Mr B was going to testify against him? If so, I hope he shat himself.

Last edited:
I certainly never suspected Bob Lempens of anything at the time. He helped me out in a legal case around 1983 and became very well respected in the profession in Adelaide. For a while though, Doctor Steve did live with Bob (and Bob's bf Rob) in their very nice house in North Adelaide.

Bob was also at the party I mentioned upthread where - when a detective attended - Doctor Steve supposedly hid in a bedroom or cupboard.
How old is Lempens? The pics I've seen of him he doesn't look like he's the same age as BVE etc

Last edited:

Do you think there is any truth that BVE killed the Beaumont children? Mr B claimed BVE told him he did it.

Something different?
Most South Australians know there is a truth out there that everyone needs to know.

If you can’t connect the dots it’s because you don’t want too.

Over 40 names under suppression.
Why?
What’s there to hide?
Let everyone know who was involved on what ever level!
Are the suspects families lives worth more than the victims families lives?
Can Justice be done in South Australia?

There's already a thread for discussion on the Mullighan Inquiry, I opened it specifically to try to keep the Family Murders thread focused and on topic.

so.. bit of a philosophical question I've been thinking about,

What's the point of the SAPOL investigation at this point? Like I completely get the families of the murdered and the many, many more raped and assaulted boys deserve what ever justice and answers they can get but:

the police know all they can know right? and outside of that:

Mr B - Dead or Granted immunity (no clear answer on that one)
The Trans/Girls from Alberton - Dead or cleared

there's $3.4m in rewards for the family murders - who are they after? keeping in mind they have BVE, who wont get out, just Mr R?

like $3.4m for Mr R? with no evidence or witnesses left?

Do you think there is any truth that BVE killed the Beaumont children? Mr B claimed BVE told him he did it.

Not in the slightest imo. For a couple of reasons.

Firstly, murderers take credit for famous unsolved murders all the time. Like a lot of killers, a big thing with von Einem is power. Once he's locked up he has very little power. Giving a false lead to a famous case not only enhances his scary reputation in his eyes but will lead police on a short wild goose chase trying to find any link between him and the case. To me it was nothing more than a power move, plus maybe trying to intimidate Mr B a little bit.

Secondly, the children don't fit von Einem's profile at all. He exclusively went for teenage boys - young adults from what we know. 3 children under the age of 10, 2 of whom were girls, just doesn't tally with who he normally targeted

What's the point of the SAPOL investigation at this point? Like I completely get the families of the murdered and the many, many more raped and assaulted boys deserve what ever justice and answers they can get but:

there's $3.4m in rewards for the family murders - who are they after? just Mr R?

Unfortunately the investigation does seem a bit academic. It's stalled at the stage where police know all the suspects but proving it beyond reasonable doubt in court is impossible with the evidence they have.

Realistically SAPOL are after Mr R and Woodards. But it's super unlikely they'll reach the prosecution stage for a number of reasons.

1) They have no forensic evidence for any of the 4 unsolved murders that ties R or Woodards to those crimes and any evidence that did exist is likely long gone
2) Bevan von Einem has had 40 years in prison to decide he's had enough of being the only one punished and rat both of them out. He won't change because in order to do that he would have to admit guilt himself.
3) Mr B's testimony is the single-best chance at getting convictions. But there are problems with this. B might be dead. Or if he isn't his story changed quite a lot and it has lots of holes cause he was lying through his teeth to not implicate himself. Assuming he's alive and was willing to tell the truth with immunity, a good lawyer could simply point to his earlier stories and cast doubt that he was telling the truth this time
4) About the only other witness is realistically Turtur and he's just as bad as Mr B. Listening to him on Frozen Lies it was like Mr B was being interviewed. He danced around questions trying to come up with answers that answered Marshall's questions without implicating himself, which he failed spectacularly at.

And another question: with regards to Mr B's immunity, was it full immunity or conditional? Assuming he's still alive to talk, does his immunity only cover the rapes or can he admit to being present at the murders and still be immune from prosecution?

And another question: with regards to Mr B's immunity, was it full immunity or conditional? Assuming he's still alive to talk, does his immunity only cover the rapes or can he admit to being present at the murders and still be immune from prosecution?

As far as I know the immunity was for everything except involvement in the actual murders. Whether that means active participation or just being present at the time is probably academic.

As far as I know the immunity was for everything except involvement in the actual murders. Whether that means active participation or just being present at the time is probably academic.

In that case yeah it's very much academic. The full truth from Mr B at a minimum places him at Alan Barnes' murder and from what we know of how they operated, von Einem and R would allow the TSs to participate occasionally so it's probable that even if B didn't perform any acts that directly led to Alan's death he was most likely an active participant in some form. So he's probably done things beyond what his immunity covers

Remember this people that the book was on what they could prove and documented not on what really happened as it happened . Everything I have is first hand or from the perpetrators and things that were not documented or the public know about . There is more then you think to all this but I have to be carful in same places what I say . I can tell you all the cops were held back by the powers that be at the time and the political situation they were facing . Just look at the justices situation as well : judges and lawyers who were in ped rings .
1 ) Alan was killed as he could identify bve and would have said so .
2) Neil was killed as someone went to the cops and the cops spoke to bve over Alan , informally but spoke to him .
3 ) Peter went to a school were bve brother was a teacher so he know who bve was or even though it was bve brother as the look so much alike .
4 ) Mark was killed for the same reason as Peter or he know who bve was from living in the north eastern suburbs . He lived the closest to bve .
5 ) Richerd was killed because of the attention around his abduction . They did not know at the time who they took as he looked like a street kid .
This is the long and short of what happened to all the boys killed . The thing that makes this case so hard to put together is the cops botched investigation and the political situation at the time it all happened . It changed south Australia forever and the way people were with there kids . No longer was it safe for your kids to go to the playground around the corner from your house , no longer did people let there kids walk to school without them , no longer did you feel safe in your home . This is how it changed everything.

When I was young, originally my parents were worried about my 2 sisters, this during the Truro era. Parents worried about their daughters, people assumed boys were safe. Then all of this started. Parents worried about their sons for the 1st time. Boys who were once relatively safe were no more. It changed the whole psyche of Adelaide back then I think. I was born here, live here still. This is one deviant city. Disgusting.

When I was young, originally my parents were worried about my 2 sisters, this during the Truro era. Parents worried about their daughters, people assumed boys were safe. Then all of this started. Parents worried about their sons for the 1st time. Boys who were once relatively safe were no more. It changed the whole psyche of Adelaide back then I think. I was born here, live here still. This is one deviant city. Disgusting.

When did the shift start if you don't mind me asking? Was it after Alan's murder? When Alan and Neil Muir were linked? Or was it a bit later when more victims started to be found?

Crime Investigation Australia presented it as a bit of a staggered thing where it would go quiet then the discovery of another body reminded everyone that these creeps were still prowling the city.

Please stop with this victim hiding - you have suffered a great deal but people are allowed to and WILL question the things you say

You say yourself that a lot of rubbish has been said in this thread - you made a statement and I showed you the understanding of heroin life in the body. Accept it or not

Stop playing the victim
Sorry that people have made you have to defend your brother. You were there. They weren't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When did the shift start if you don't mind me asking? Was it after Alan's murder? When Alan and Neil Muir were linked? Or was it a bit later when more victims started to be found?

Crime Investigation Australia presented it as a bit of a staggered thing where it would go quiet then the discovery of another body reminded everyone that these creeps were still prowling the city.
1980 maybe, I can't remember exactly. I just remember people being careful, boys were going missing.

Latest update

The Family

Any person complicit in the abduction, rape and murders of the five victims, plus any person who visited the place of captivity when a victim was knowingly present, plus any person involved in the abduction, spiking and raping of young boys/men at the transgender share house in Alberton.

The Victims

Alan Arthur Barnes

 Age: 16
 Date of abduction: June 17, 1979
 Date body found: June 24, 1979
 Location of body: Under the old bridge at South Para Reservoir
 Died from blood loss due to massive anal injuries
 Held for days, tortured and beaten
 Had Noctec and alcohol in his system
 His body had been cleaned and he had been redressed in someone else's clothes

 Lived with family out in Salisbury but regularly spent weekends in city
 He had recently made friends with Darko Kastelan.
 There's no evidence he was gay. It was very likely he was straight.
 Police at the time had reason to believe he was starting to dabble in drugs, including heroin. There is no credible evidence he was dabbling in hard drugs.
 The night before he went missing he stayed at Darko's house in Cheltenham. The next day was a Sunday, they both planned to hitchhike to Alan's home in Salisbury. Darko's brother dropped them at a bus stop near the corner of on Grand Junction Rd and Allenby Rd. Darko soon returned home. A witness saw Alan hitchhiking and saw a white station wagon pull over to pick him up.
 Mr B testified in 1990 that he was in that white station wagon with BVE

 Alan worked a few days per week refilling vending machines. One of the businesses on his run was Pipeline Supplies, the business where BVE was the accountant.
 Alan's half brother John Charles Barnes speculates the reason Alan was killed is because BVE knew he would recognise him from Pipeline Supplies.
 In the weeks leading up to his murder he was witnessed by Gary Place at the Gateway Hotel on North Tce with BVE and Woodards and then a week later with the same people at either the same hotel or a different hotel.
 According to Debi Marshall, Darko was with Gino Gambardella when they first met David Szach. They picked Szach up and went back to Derrance Stephenson's house where they all had sex (according to David Szach)
 Darko worked at Gino Gambardella's chiropractic clinic. He is allegedly Gino's nephew. Darko now goes by Dario Kastellan and is a tiler in Adelaide.
 Alan had a pending rape charge against him (the victim was female). It never went to court but the general consensus is that it was consnesuaal and the complainant was making an excuse to her boyfriend.
 It has been implied (but not confirmed) that Derrance Stevenson was his representation. The day after Derrance Stevenson's murder a young man went to legal aid requesting representation and remarked that "Derrance was in no shape to represent him". Some people believe this young man was Alan Barnes. John Charles Barnes has confirmed Derence Stephenson was NOT Alan's solicitor.
 It's possible he was at Derrance Stephenson's house on the night he was murdered. This is unconfirmed as it is also unconfirmed they knew each other.

Neil Frederick Muir
 Age: 25
 Date of abduction: August 27, 1979
 Date body found: August 28 1979
 Location of body: Mutton Cove on the shore of the Port Adelaide River
 His remains had been dissected and neatly cut into many pieces, placed in a garbage bag and thrown into the Port River at Port Adelaide. Skin bearing tattoos had been removed and most of the body parts were placed in another garbage bag before being placed within the abdominal cavity
 In addition to his limbs being sawed off, Neil's genitals had been mutilated by his killer. His penis had been cut and he was missing a testicle.
 Not able to do toxicity test because internal organs missing

 Heroin addict
 Suspected prostitute
 Lived on Carrington St, Adelaide in a doss house
 Regularly frequented the gay haunts but was thought not to be gay
 Was involved in procuring boys for BVE
 Was at the Mediterranean on Hindley St. From 1:30pm until he got ejected for being asleep. Was never seen alive again.
 Had sex with BVE four years earlier
 Had been to Milhouse's on the night of, or night before his murder.

Peter Stogneff
 Age: 14
 Date of abduction: August 27 1981
 Date body found: June 23 1982
 Location of body: On side of road at Two Wells

 Wasn't found until 10 months later and had been burned from a farmer back-burning so only skeleton remain.
 Couldn't determine COD or toxicity but he had been cut up like Neil Muir and then accidentally burned by the farmer who was back burning. It was only that the scrub was removed by fire that his remains were exposed.
 He intended to skip school and meet his uncle (similar age) in Rundle Mall. This was cancelled the night before. A witness says she saw Stogneff at Tea Tree Plaza with someone matching Noel Brook's appearance.

Mark Andrew Langley
 Age: 18
 Date of abduction: Feb 27 1982
 Date body found: Mar 8 1982
 Location of body: In scrub off Sprigg Road, Piccadilly

 Among the mutilations was a wound that appeared to have been cut with a surgical instrument that went from his navel to the pubic region and part of his small bowel was missing. The hair around the area had been shaved as it would have been in an operation in a hospital. SAPOL speculate that some evidence got stuck in his bowel after being inserted in his rectum so the captors had to operate to recover it.
 Mandrax in his system
 Washed and dressed in same clothes
 Likely to have been killed and dumped within 48 hours of abduction
 Had attended party in Windsor Gardens but left with a male and female. They drove to War Memorial Drive (150m east of the Adelaide Rowing Club ) when Mark had a minor argument with the other male so got out and left. The male and female drove off but returned minutes later to retrieve him and he had gone.
 He lived in Newton

Richard Kelvin
 Age: 15
 Date of abduction: June 5, 1983
 Date body found: July 24 1983
 Location of body: In scrub next to airstrip on Airstrip Rd near Kersbrook
 Died of massive blood loss from an anal injury, likely caused by the insertion of a large blunt object
 Mandrax, Noctec, Rohypnol, Valium and Amatel

 Washed and redressed
 There was evidence his hair had been cut in captivity
 Had been held captive and brutally tortured for approximately 5 weeks
 Abducted near O'Connell St, North Adelaide
 Lived with his parents at Ward St, North Adelaide

The Suspects

Bevan Spencer von Einem
 Born 1946
 Age in 1979 - 33

 Convicted of murder of Richard Kelvin
 Lived in Paradise with his Mum during the time at 13/3 Rowney Ave and 7 Day St. You can see those abodes here:
 Worked as an accountant at Pipeline Supplies of Australia which was on South Rd in Regency Park
 In 1991 he was charged with the murders of Alan Barnes and Mark Langley on the basis of evidence provided by co-suspect Mr B. Police dropped the charges because Mr B's credibility became more and more into question - he was saying BVE was responsible for the Beaumonts and the Adelaide Oval abductions.
 Had a sexual relationship with victim Neil Muir approximately four years before Muir's death
 According to Mr B, BVE's favoured place to cruise for hitchhikers was from the cnr of King William St and North Terrace, over the City Bridge, through North Adelaide where King William changes into O'Connell St, and then a right turn up Main North Rd to The Big Scotsman Motel on the corner of Nottage Terrace. He would cruise that route up and down, looking for victims.

Mr ***** R*******

 Age in 1979 - approx same age as BVE
 Often referred to as "the business man"
 Still runs his business The Clock Gallery. Now in Unley Rd, Hyde Park
 Was living with co-suspect Stephen George Woodards at the time
 SAPOL believe he was heavily involved
 Would arrive at the Alberton transgender house to abuse young men and boys that BVE had already drugged and raped.
 SAPOL believe he was in the car when Kelvin was abducted and was in the car shortly after Barnes was picked up
 Mr B testified in 1990 that he was in BVE's car when they by chance saw and picked up Alan Barnes hitch-hiking. BVE gave Barnes some alcohol and sedatives and then went and called Mr R who arrived shortly after. Mr B conveniently claimed he then left BVE and Mr R with a now unconscious Barnes, but not before BVE invited him to come along and "do some surgery".

Mr ****** ****** B****

 Age in 1979 - 23
 Was born in Mansfield, Notts, UK in 1956
 His sister Claire was born in 1962 in Mansfield Notts
 Applied to be Australian citizen in 1974/5
 Immigrated to Adelaide sometime between 1962 and 1974
 Former child prostitute
 He met BVE in 1979 (possibly earlier)
 Last known whereabouts were as a bus driver in Brisbane
 Has lived in Melbourne, Sydney, and Brisbane. At some stage between 1983 and 1985 he spent time in Brisbane.
 Two days after Alan Barnes was found he called police and told them it was BVE.
 Mr B made a lot of statements about BVE from day one. He told police in the original investigation about how he and BVE were picking up hitchhikers, drugging them, and raping them. He's a dodgy guy but police believe his information to be true. He told them stuff that over time matched up with what they discovered about BVE.
 Testified against BVE in 1990 (in case re Barnes and Langley) and claimed he was in BVE's car when they picked up Barnes. He then testified that BVE drugged Barnes then called Mr R who arrived shortly after to join in. He conveniently claimed he then left BVE and Mr R with a now unconscious Barnes, but not before BVE invited him to come along and "do some surgery". SAPOL believe otherwise.
 Mr B always claimed he left just before BVE murdered people. "I was there, didn't like it, left, then met up with BVE two weeks later to pick up and rape dome more dudes". Police think he was a lot more involved that he made out. One police officer thinks this guy has serial killer like qualities.
 In 1990 (State v BVE re Barnes and Langley) Mr B testified;
o On a number of occasions he was present when the accused had picked up young men who were hitchhiking and given them alcohol and tablets.
o On one occasion he had seen the accused with a naked youth in the bedroom of a home to which the youth had been taken. The youth had a torch and an instrument similar to a large stainless steel crochet hook in his anus.
o He had been with the accused when the accused had given Barnes a lift in his car. He said that the incident took place while Barnes was hitchhiking near the northern parklands. Barnes said he wanted a lift to Salisbury. While in the car Barnes was given some drinks and tablets. He was asked if he wanted to go to a party and he said "Yes". The accused (BVE) drove back towards North Adelaide and stopped at a cafe. Later he stopped and made a telephone call. He told Mr B. that he had rung a man named Mr R and that he had arranged to meet Mr R near the toilets on the River Torrens bank, adjacent to the City bridge. Mr B. said the accused met and spoke to Mr R at this location. When the accused returned to the car he said to Mr B. "Do you want to come with us and do some surgery on this guy?" In response to a question from Mr B. the accused said that Mr R was going to come along. Mr B. said he left at this stage and walked up to the city. Throughout the time that they were in the vicinity of the toilets Barnes appeared to be unconscious in the rear seat of the vehicle.
 A statement from Mr B's sister, which was read to the court yesterday, said he had admitted to her that he was present when Barnes was killed.
 The glaring hole in Mr B's story: Alan Barnes was abducted on the Sunday afternoon on Grand Junction Rd. Mr B claims in was on the Friday night on Main North Rd. It's speculated he changed the date and time to give himself an alibi - the nightclub on North Terrace.

Stephen George Woodards
 Born 1949
 Age in 1979 - 29
 A doctor
 SAPOL believe he was supplying BVE with date rape drugs such as Mandrax
 Mark Langley had been cut open with surgical instrument and part of his bowel missing. SAPOL speculate his captors had to remove something they had placed and lost in his rectum. SAPOL suspect Woodards did the work.

 Now working as a doctor in Maroubra, Sydney. He does physio.
 His lover was Richard Brown
 He was living with David Richmond at the time
 Lived on Second Ave, St Peters
 SAPOL were investigating Woodards and his lover Brown for drugging and raping young men (this was before the Family murders)
 He was known as "Dr Steve" and had a reputation for drugging young men at pubs and then "helping the drunk person leave the premises and give them a lift home".
 He was charged in 2011 on 5 counts of raping a male under 17. The charges didn't stick because it couldn't be proven that the victims were under 17 at the time.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...-george-woodards/story-e6frea83-1226074925805

Richard Dutton Brown
 Age in 1979 - 30
 Died in 2010 aged 62
 He was appointed to the Magistrate's Bench in 1979 as a 30 year old
 Often referred to as "the high profile lawyer"

 At the time he was in a relationship with co-suspect Stephen Woodards
 SAPOL SAPOL were investigating Brown and his lover Woodards for drugging and raping young males (this is before the Family murders investigation)

 Whole in story
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/ipad/...sought-young-men/story-fn6bqphm-1225971117982

Denis Edward St Denis
 Age in 1979 - 35
 Born 1944
 Died 30/11/2002 aged 58
 BVE's hairdresser friend
 Had a salon at 60 Knightsbridge Rd, Hazelwood Park. He and his Mum Dot lived at the back.

 His nickname was "Pussy"
 He was born Dennis Ronald Edwards and was aka Tucker or Frank Denis
 His Mm's name was Dot. So maybe Dorothy Edwards?
 BVE went to his salon and had his dyed the day after Kelvin went missing
 Allegedly rented a unit with BVE in the inner eastern suburbs - maybe Norwood, Kent Town or Dulwich. Both lived with their mothers and needed a place to take young men/boys.
 Diaries of one of his friends (Trevor Peters) were found that document suspicious discussions between BVE and St Denis, as well as the witnessing of photos of an unconscious Alan Barnes
 Kelvin was in captivity for 5 weeks and in that time his hair had been cut. SAPOL believe this was St Denis
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news...y/news-story/eaf66c4823f20f55981177c02d2bb657

Lewis "Lana" Turtur
 Born 1958
 Age in 1979 - 21
 He is a transvestite/drag queen. Has not had an operation
 Transgender who shared a house in Alberton with Firman and Miss K
 Allowed BVE to regularly come by with guys he had drugged so he could rape them (BVE that is). BVE would supply Turtur Mandrax for letting him use their house

 SAPOL believe one or more of the transgenders were in BVE's car when Kelvin was abducted
 Moved to Sydney soon after. Still lives there.
 SAPOL don't think he/she was heavily involved but think they may have known where the boys/men were being held
 In the 1990 court case (State v BVE re Barnes and Langley), Turtur gave evidence that the accused had given one youth an enema and on another occasion he had seen a torch light showing from under the bed clothes when the accused was in bed with a youth.
https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6086379460001

Prudence Charmaine Firman
 Age in 1979 - 24
 Born Gregory Francis Acton, 1955
 A post-op transgender. Had sex change op in 1982
 Born 5/05/1955
 Died 10/10/2008 aged 53
 Lived at the Alberton share house with Turtur and Miss K
 Moved to Sydney with Turtur and Miss K after BVE trial
 Returned to Adelaide and lived at 46 Shipsters Rd, Kensington Park with Sarah Novak. Next door to Trevor Peters whose diaries were found by his brother after his death. This diaries spoke about the Family and named the names that are named here. A link to this article can be found under Denis St Denis.
 She is one of the "girls" who were used by BVE to lure males into his car.
 Between Langley and Kelvin she picked up a boy with BVE. He was drugged. Firman had sex with him before he blacked out and the BVE did his thing. She was charged with rape but was acquitted because it couldn't be proven that it wasn't consensual
 Was living back in Adelaide by 1989 and was convicted of dealing heroin

Miss K
 It is believed her name is Kerry
 A post-op transgender
 Lived at the Alberton share house with Turtur and Firman
 Moved to Sydney with Turtur and Firman after BVE trial
 Helped BVE pick up guys
 Not much else is known. In Frozen Lies her name is beeped out when Turtur refers to her.

Sarah Leanne Novak
 Age in 1979 - 22
 Born 20/04/1957
 Died 16/12/2014 aged 57
 A post-op transgender
 Lived next door to Trevor Peters at 46 Shipsters Rd, Kensington Park with Prue Firman
 Grew up in Mile End
 Was close with BVE and Neil Muir. Often lured boys for BVE.

Noel Terrence Thomas Brook
 Age in 1979 - 23
 Born 1956
 Died 17/01/1998 aged 42
 Transgender
 Known as DiDi
 Aboriginal. Sometime referred to as Maori, or half-Maori. Is aboriginal.
 Lived in Hope Valley - on direct path between Stogneff's house and Tea Tree Plaza (TTP)
 Sometimes raped unconscious boys that BVE brought back to the transgender house (after BVE had finished with them)

Brian Neil Gant
 Age in 1979 - 24
 Born 1955
 Died 02/01/1996 in Sydney aged 40
 Transgender
 Sometimes raped unconscious boys that BVE brought back to the transgender house (after BVE had finished with them)
 Moved to Perth in 1980

Donald Storen
 It's unclear as to his involvement. He was allegedly under suppression order but there is no evidence he had any involvement.

Locations

The Gay Bars

The Mars Bar - 120 Gouger St, Adelaide
The Green Dragon - Cnr South Tce and Pulteney St, Adelaide
The Duke of York - 82 Currie St, Adelaide
Buckingham Arms "The Buck" - 1 Walkerville Terrace, Gilberton
Patches - 142 North Terrace
The Colonel Light - Light Square

The Gay Beats

 No 1 beat: The park land on the corner of King Williams Rd and Victoria Drive. Immediately south of Jolly's boatshed.
 Veale Gardens - lots of young male prostitutes worked these gardens
 Unley Rd - between South Terrace and Greenhill Rd
 Glenn Osmand Rd - between South Terrace and Greenhill Rd

The Transgender House

 The "transgender house" was at Prince St, Alberton
 It is believed Turtur, Firman and Miss K lived at this address. It's possible other peoople lived there at different times as well.
From p137 Young Blood;

 Low front wall
 a path leading from the front gate to the home
 the iron roof had been replaced with another one that was made to look like tiles
 the front door was at the centre of the house
 two large windows on either side of the front door
 hills hoist in centre of back yard
 the house belonged to the same era as BVE's home - it wasn't as bland but it was more run down. I believe the book is referring to the 7 Day St home as being from the same era as the TG house.
 The house has allegedly bee knocked down and replaced. That leaves;

o 59 Prince St was built in 1985
o 45 Prince St was built in 1988
o 25 Prince St was built in 2004
o 19 Prince St - original house built in 1910 - this is not it! Seen old picture and it's not a match

BVE Houses

3/13 Rowney, Campbelltown, 1979-1983

7 Day St, Paradise, 1983 onwards

The Big House

The "Unit"
 BVE had a lot of places to take victims over the years - his home unit when his Mum was out of town, Turtur's (pre-Alberton) place in Chatham St, CBD, The TG house in Alberton, Clocker's unit in Collinswood.
 Different victims allege they woke up in other houses apart from these
 According to Trevor Peters' diaries (made from conversations he had living next door to Novak and Firman), BVE and DSD rented a unit. It's speculated this is where Richard Kelvin may have been keep.
 That unit was in Lambert St, Joslin.
Maps

In a nutshell, what happened?

 BVE was the main man
 The 1970s were loose. Smoking on planes, no seat belts, letting your kids go wherever they wanted without supervision etc. With that came the seediness kind of loose. Think Taxi Driver. That same sort of seediness was in our capital cities as well and Adelaide was no exception. Consider Kings X in Sydney at the time, the Wall in Sydney or the rent boys working the gay beats of Adelaide. No one today would accept underage boys selling their bodies for sex along a wall in Taylor Square, a major intersection in Sydney. That's simply outrageous but that was par for the course in the 1970s
 Homosex was only legalised in 1975. Gay people could come out of the shadows. A burgeoning scene popped up with a number of sub scenes.
 44 year old high profile lawyer Derrance Stevenson headed up one scene where one of his close associates would trawl Adelaide's CBD for vulnerable street kids and bring them to Stevenson's house. Stevenson was regularly holding debauched parties and having sex with underage teenagers. That's pretty overt and risky behaviour for a high profile lawyer, but it was the 1970s.
 BVE had his own scene going. He along with Mr B and Mr R, and with the help of the Transgender 3 were drugging and raping you male victims.
 Concurrently, a high profile magistrate and his doctor lover were also drugging and raping young men.
 In other parts of Adelaide, young (underage) men who were wards of the state were being targeted for sex. Many were working as rent boys in Veale Gardens and other beats where men would pay them for sex.
 It seemed like there was competition to get to the young and vulnerable teenagers first to exploit them before someone else did. It was normal for some of these predators to ask young men they were in company of to help them find other young vulnerable men.
 It just seemed that at that time, within the gay scene, this sort of behaviour seemed par for the course. It seemed normalised and remained unchecked until it escalated to murder. Even then, people remained silent.
 BVE was regularly picking up young guys, giving them a spiked drink, and then taking them to a house and raping them. He lived at home with his Mum. If his Mum was away, he'd take them to his place. If not, he'd got to the house near Port Adelaide that was shared by transgenders Turtur, Firman and Brooks.
 Turtur would let BVE bring drugged boys back in exchange for drugs (Mandrax).
Turtur, Firman and Novak would sometimes be used as bait to pick up young men. BVE would promise alcohol, drugs, girls, sex etc. Once he got the boys back there he would spike their drinks or convince them the pill he was giving them was an upper and would keep them awake.
 It's believed as many as 150 boys were drugged and raped. Nine victims of BVE testified at the 1990 trial.
 Mandrax (aka Quaaludes) was this social circle's drug of choice. Quaaludes were huge in the 70s and early 80s before being banned. The Wolf of Wall St was all over them. Gay people liked them because they were a muscle relaxant and made it easier to have anal sex. BVE liked them for drugging and raping boys.
 BVE associated with different pockets of the gay scene. He used the transgender share house to take boys, he hung around young boys like Mr B, Neil Muir and "Clocker". His closest associate was Mr R. These are people who would aid and abet him in abductions.
 Once this loose group of associates had been established for a while, it escalated. But from where the group were, going that extra bit further wasn't a massive stretch. All of a sudden victims are being murdered, tortured and being held for weeks at a time.
 There's no way you can find around 10 people who are okay with abduction, rape, body mutilation and murder within a small community. It was the culture within that community at the time which enabled people to think this sort of stuff was "ok" or "not that bad".

Other Players

Darko Kastelan

 Close friend of Alan Barnes
 Barnes stayed at Darko's house on the night before he was abducted as Darko lived in Cheltenham which was closer to the CBD than where Barnes lived at Salisbury
 Darko worked at Gino Gambardella's chiropractic clinic. He is allegedly Gino's nephew. Darko now goes by Dario
 It is alleged that in approximately 1976 when David Szach first turned up homeless in the CBD, that he was picked up by regular procurer of teenage boys, Gino Gambardella who had Darko in tow. Gino took Szach to Derrance Stevenson's house and introduced him where soon after the four had group sex
 There is no suggestion that Darko was involved in the Family
 Now goes by the name Dario Kastellan and is a tiler in Adelaide.

Miss Russell
 In the 1990 "State v BVE" case in relation to the murders of Alan Barnes and Mark Langley, there was a mention of a "Miss Russell"
 Excerpt, "Miss Russell said that on one occasion the accused admitted to her that he had placed his fist inside the anus of one youth he had picked up and that he had also placed surgical instruments inside the youth's anus. She also alleged that the accused admitted placing his fist in the anus of a youth at the Flinders Medical Centre".
 Miss Russell was a work colleague of BVE. She would socialise at The Mars Bar and was aware BVE was picking up young men.

Jacquie

 Female friend of BVE
 She was a nurse
 Mr B lived with her for a while
 She lived in a unit on Payneham Rd, Stepney

Derrance Stevenson

 High profile gay lawyer who was murdered on June 4 or June 5, 1979
 He was shot in the back of the head and put into his own freezer which was super-glued shut
 He was 44 years of age at the time
 His 19 year old lover David Szach was found guilty of the murder
 Derrance had been in a sexual relationship with Szach since Szach was 16
 He held parties often that consisted of a lot of sex with underage boys (the age of consent at the time was 17)
 Derrance's close confidant Gino Gambardella would regularly procure underage teenage boys for Derrance
 The day after Stevenson's murder, a young man with blonde hair was waiting outside Legal Aid until it opened. Once it opened he requested. Upon being asked, "why don't you wait for Derrance", he responded with, "I saw Derrance last night and he was in no state to defend anybody". It is speculated that man was Alan Barnes and that he was there with regards to pending rape charges he was facing. It hasn't yet been confirmed if Stevenson was already representing Barnes but it looks like Barnes was there to get a new lawyer.
 Alan Barnes was murdered two weeks later.
 Darko worked for Gambardella. Gambardella was regularly procuring teenage boys for Stevenson. Darko knew Stevenson. Darko was close to Alan Barnes. Alan Barnes was reported to socialise with BVE.
 There's no evidence Stevenson was in the Family. He hosted gay parties at home where he had boys brought to him and regularly committed statutory rape (even though it was likely consensual). BVE and his crew were coercing young men into a car, convincing them that there was a party with lots of drugs, booze and women, and then drugging and raping them. It's highly likely they knew each other but they had different things going on with different crews. It's unlikely Derrance was venturing down the Port Rd to Alberton to hang out with some transgenders at Alberton.

Gino Gambardella

 Aged 33 in 1979. Same age as BVE.
 A chiropractor who liked teenage boys
 Would cruise the CBD looking for vulnerable young men who he would offer them opportunities to hang out with Derrance Stevenson
 Had Darko Kastelan working for him at his clinic. He would sometimes take Darko on his pick up missions
 Was charged as an accessory to Stevenson's murder so fled to his native Italy
 No evidence he was in the Family

Gary Wayne Place
 A witness who testified in the 1990 "State v BVE" case
 Alleged he was with Alan Barnes on multiple occasions in the weeks leading up to Barnes' death and with Barnes, socialised with BVE and Woodards.
 "Mr. Place told the court that Alan Barnes had introduced Von Einem one Saturday at an Adelaide hotel about a week before his murder. Barnes had also introduced three other people with Von Einem — a doctor whose name sounded like Goodard, a man called Mario, and a woman. There had been talk about a party that night where there would be "women, drugs, booze — anything you like."
Later that week Place and Barnes had gone to a hotel where Von Einem had told him (Place) that if he provided sex, he would get "drugs, women, anything" and the same things would be provided if he brought along some young lads."
 Who is "Mario"? Is it Gino Gambardella? Is it Darko Kastelan?

Unlikely to be involved

Dr Peter Leslie Millhouse

 Was charged with the murder of Neil Muir
 He knew Muir and was spotted with Muir over the days before his death
 There was some good circumstantial evidence against Millhouse but he was acquitted at a trial in 1980
 Although Millhouse could have been in with BVE and the Family for Barnes and then gone dormant while the others carried on, it's more likely he just wasn't involved at all.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news...w/news-story/135a05955f591eea50b8438fcce08e44

Max McIntyre
 His daughter Rachel Vaughan claimed she witnessed Richard Kelvin being held and tortured in the cellar when she was a young girl. She says she was also witness to her father abuse and murder 10 year old Louise Bell.
 Dieter Pfennig has since been found guilty of her murder. Pfennig was already serving a life sentence with a non-parole period of 38 years — later reduced to 25 years due to a sentencing legislation change in SA — for murdering Murray Bridge boy Michael Black in 1989 and later abducting and raping a 13-year-old boy.
 Pfennig's DNA was found on Louise Bell's pyjamas
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12...pfennig-sentenced-35-years-non-parole/8095906

Ric Marshall
 Marshall was a pedophile and his victims were pre-pubescent (around the 11-12yo mark)
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-12-13/former-tv-entertainer-sentenced-for-sex-offences/4425734

Peter Liddy
 Like Marshall, Liddy was also a pedophile and his interest was in pre-pubescent boys
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/paedo...rs-prison-attack/story-e6frea6u-1226219014614

Robert William Symonds (Mother Goose)
 A gay guy who was cruising the gay beats in Adelaide in the 1970s and 1980s
 One teenage prostitute named Brad Shannon alleges Mother Goose took him to his North Adelaide home in 1984 and drugged him and raped him
 No evidence he was in the Family
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-06-07/mother-goose-sex-trial-starts-in-adelaide/2749578

Craig McGahan
Dr Colin Manock

Attachments

• Denis St Denis - 1.jpeg
    Denis St Denis - 1.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 150
  • Denis St Denis - 2.jpg
    Denis St Denis - 2.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 128
  • Richard Dutton Brown - 1.png
    Richard Dutton Brown - 1.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 110
  • Richard Dutton Brown - 2.jpg
    Richard Dutton Brown - 2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 106
  • Stephen George Woodards - 1.jpg
    Stephen George Woodards - 1.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 178
  • no name, can't say.jpg
    no name, can't say.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 207
Meanwhile I was told by an older Gay friend from Adelaide a few years back, that the family murder suspect drag queens who lived on Shipsters Street, happened to live a very reclusive life in their older years and were not really seen at any gay community events. I wonder why?

there's $3.4m in rewards for the family murders - who are they after? keeping in mind they have BVE, who wont get out, just Mr R?

I thought Trevor Peters' diaries may have sparked a new surge. But it was full of stuff they probably already knew. The most telling thing about the diaries - that either Firman or Novak pointed out a unit once rented by BVE and DSD. Was it the one where RK was held in for 5 weeks? We'll probably never know, but what it does tell us is at least some of the drag queens were inner circle enough to know where BVE had a unit.

The ebook seemed to know two of the addresses. Did police know this? If they did, it would have had to have been after the fact. But did they go check the dates of these rentals. Did they match with other victims? How long did they rent them before the victim, and after the victim? Were they renting them specifically for murder, or was it to take drugged boys back to?

Unfortunately the investigation does seem a bit academic. It's stalled at the stage where police know all the suspects but proving it beyond reasonable doubt in court is impossible with the evidence they have.

Realistically SAPOL are after Mr R and Woodards. But it's super unlikely they'll reach the prosecution stage for a number of reasons.

1) They have no forensic evidence for any of the 4 unsolved murders that ties R or Woodards to those crimes and any evidence that did exist is likely long gone
2) Bevan von Einem has had 40 years in prison to decide he's had enough of being the only one punished and rat both of them out. He won't change because in order to do that he would have to admit guilt himself.
3) Mr B's testimony is the single-best chance at getting convictions. But there are problems with this. B might be dead. Or if he isn't his story changed quite a lot and it has lots of holes cause he was lying through his teeth to not implicate himself. Assuming he's alive and was willing to tell the truth with immunity, a good lawyer could simply point to his earlier stories and cast doubt that he was telling the truth this time
4) About the only other witness is realistically Turtur and he's just as bad as Mr B. Listening to him on Frozen Lies it was like Mr B was being interviewed. He danced around questions trying to come up with answers that answered Marshall's questions without implicating himself, which he failed spectacularly at.

Everyone is dead (afaik) except BVE, Mr R, Mr B, SGW, and Turtur.

Turtur lied, but at least he said something.

At this point, I'd be offering cash and immunity. Mr R and SGW probably don't need the cash. That leaves BVE, Mr B and Turtur. The danger always is, dangle the cash and you get a fair few lies any way. What will BVE take to tell his story? I'd be willing to build him a detached cell with a jucuzzi and a monthly subscription from 1 magazine. I'd even thrown in a TV. What I'm saying, the SA Govt needs to find a way to learn the truth.

The story just needs to be told. For the victims families - they deserve the truth more than ever. For all the perps who have died - you still need to be named and shamed. For the whole of Adelaide - people need to know who did this.

How old is Lempens? The pics I've seen of him he doesn't look like he's the same age as BVE etc

I'd guess he is probably about 63 years old right now. At the time of the murders he was a good looking man around 30 with an equally good looking boyfriend a few years younger.

The Green Dragon had very few drag queens who ever worked there, so I'm not sure what made you think this.

Sorry, I read that BvE met most of his female acquaintances in bars and assumed they worked there. I just checked the ebook and it refers to “the girls” working in a strip club.

4029A188-3299-44DC-942F-19803EA1C2FE.png

Sorry, I read that BvE met most of his female acquaintances in bars and assumed they worked there. I just checked the ebook and it refers to “the girls” working in a strip club.

From memory, the Green Dragon didn't even open until 1983. If BVE met any females at pubs before these murders commenced, the only gay-friendly (for a while) pub was likely to have been the Buckingham Arms or possibly the Duke of York. The Colonel Light Hotel didn't open as a gay pub until after the Buck became gay-unfriendly.

From memory, the Green Dragon didn't even open until 1983. If BVE met any females at pubs before these murders commenced, the only gay-friendly (for a while) pub was likely to have been the Buckingham Arms or possibly the Duke of York. The Colonel Light Hotel didn't open as a gay pub until after the Buck became gay-unfriendly.
The Green Dragon was open way before 1983. Colonel Light and the Buck were also gay pubs all through the 80s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back