The food and wine thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The marinade comes off before cooking V P. By the way you can never beat cooking on charcoal.......even if we didn't cook it on that at the Restaurant.

I have cooked the tomatoe and onion on a flat grill also.....it is full of flavour and great on crusty bread.....so waist not want not.

It works on all lamb.....the truth is I am still scarred from the first BBQ with the "Italians"....they opened the lamb from the packet slapped it on BBQ and put salt and pepper on it.

Now this might sound weird but lamb is very lamby o_O I still remember vividly another experience when I went to my dads villiage in Greece and his sister "sacrificed" a lamb for me.......it was so gamey I discreetly threw it out......I just couldn't do it.

Today in Dromana I used the same recipe on pork ribs......delicious!

Just added a new recipe to my scrap book. Called it 'CFC's lamb cutlets'.:thumbsu:

Just added a new recipe to my scrap book. Called it 'CFC's lamb cutlets'.:thumbsu:

Give it a go Vicky Park if it isn't the best you have tasted I will offer my services on the proviso I get a car park near the MCG ;)

Okay because you two asked so nicely I will divulge the secret......plus I am a little tipsy.......everyone else block your ears I don't want to kill anyone today :p

First and foremost buy good lamb cutlets.

You need onions, tomato, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, oregano and bbq provencale spice.

Firstly in your container put a layer of sliced onion (for flavour) then lay down the cutlets. If they are thick give them a whack!

Then sprinkle on both sides with good oregano, bbq provencale and the garlic zapped with a processor placed in the extra virgin olive oil.

Coat both sides then place sliced tomato on top (the acid in the tomato softens the meat). Then put onion on top.......repeat this process until all lamb cutlets are finished.

The lamb should marinade for two days minimum........many customers asked for the recipe but I have never divulged it......you two should feel blessed! :D

Repeat patronage is the key to a successful Restaurant my father in law and I fortunately had a successful Restaurant. It was a wonderful experience and the toughest industry I have been involved in.

Stay tuned for my Gyros recipe.......Happy Australia Day people hope you and the family had a great day :):thumbsu:
Copied thanks.

I might try it on forequarter chops (my least fav cut of lamb by far) as my lamb cutlets already melt in my mouth. :D

If I may I'd add make sure lamb is at room temp before cooking.

Okay because you two asked so nicely I will divulge the secret......plus I am a little tipsy.......everyone else block your ears I don't want to kill anyone today :p

You need onions, tomato, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, oregano and bbq provencale spice.

Firstly in your container put a layer of sliced onion (for flavour) then lay down the cutlets. If they are thick give them a whack!

Then sprinkle on both sides with good oregano, bbq provencale and the garlic zapped with a processor placed in the extra virgin olive oil.

Coat both sides then place sliced tomato on top (the acid in the tomato softens the meat). Then put onion on top.......repeat this process until all lamb cutlets are finished.

The lamb should marinade for two days minimum........many customers asked for the recipe but I have never divulged it......you two should feel blessed! :D

Repeat patronage is the key to a successful Restaurant my father in law and I fortunately had a successful Restaurant. It was a wonderful experience and the toughest industry I have been involved in.

Stay tuned for my Gyros recipe.......Happy Australia Day people hope you and the family had a great day :):thumbsu:
Copied this in to my phone. Will offer a critique once I make em :)

Fresh or dry oregano?

Fresh or dry oregano?

Just on the dry oregano don't buy the one from Safeway/Coles that doesn't smell like anything.....go to one of the wog delis and get the one in the bag that you have to rub together.

Like anything good ingredients
makes a difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That doesn't surprise me Hagla my wife bought it once out of necessity and I can tell you it didn't smell like orgegano.

Yeah I got caught like that once but it definitely was oregano, fuggin ripped off!

Just on the dry oregano don't buy the one from Safeway/Coles that doesn't smell like anything.....go to one of the wog delis and get the one in the bag that you have to rub together.

makes a difference.

I grow my own (oregano) so it'll be good

makes a difference.
Im still struggling as to what bbq provencale spice is, let alone dry or fresh oregano, lol

No Lemon juice?

No Lemon juice?

Lemon juice and extra virgin oil put in a squeeze bottle......shake well and spray on when the meat comes off......I am getting hungry now!

CFC2010 I'm keen to give your cutlet marinade a go! I noticed though that there was no salt. I've not used bbq provencale mix before but is that a substitute or do you salt when cooking? A lot of the marinades I have used for lamb usually contains salt so just curious on your opinion on this.

I did slow cooked lamb shoulders in my smoker style bbq on NYE that I've done a few times before that used salt, along with your usual dried herbs along with blitzed bay leaves that works really well.

CFC2010 I'm keen to give your cutlet marinade a go! I noticed though that there was no salt. I've not used bbq provencale mix before but is that a substitute or do you salt when cooking? A lot of the marinades I have used for lamb usually contains salt so just curious on your opinion on this.

I did slow cooked lamb shoulders in my smoker style bbq on NYE that I've done a few times before that used salt, along with your usual dried herbs along with blitzed bay leaves that works really well.

The BBQ Provencale is made by a company called Nice & Tasty......don't be shy putting it on like the garlic oil as it will infuse as it marinates.

Salt is not required as the BBQ Provencale is the substitute.

Love a good slow cooked lamb shoulder also.....yum! :thumbsu:

This was NYE's effort. God I'm hungry right now. Thanks for the tips CFC! Can't wait

View attachment 330765 View attachment 330766 View attachment 330767 View attachment 330768
44555746.jpg&adtype=0

That sounds lovely mate.

My marinade consists of puréed onion, red wine, salt, pepper, oregano, lemon, and balsamic. The balsamic kills the gamey door. Also use the same marinade for lamb kebabs. I agree that they need to stay in the fridge at least overnight so the acids can tenderise the meat. As for cooking, always on charcoal.

My family runs a couple of charcoal grills in Athens. We've been doing it that way for generations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back