Food & Drink The Hangar Coffee Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's keep a native animal in a cage the size of a small dog in a cage for it's entire life so we can collect it's s**t.....

Who the fu** comes up with this kind of insanity?

People who realise they can make a ton of money out of it. It used to be collected naturally when they would eat/crap coffee cherries that fell from the plant but now the poor buggers are caged and force-fed.

How much is it normally??

Those looking for bang-for-buck I'd recommend giving the beans from Aldi a go. Decent coffee for the price and roasted here (in Melbourne) so you know it hasn't spent weeks on a shipping container.

Lavazza Oro (gold packaging) is $30 a kilo.
Every 6 weeks or so, Woolworths do it for half price.
It’s easily my favourite supermarket coffee.

I might try that Aldi one though, they have some surprisingly nice things there.

We've got a Nespresso machine. It was given to us as a present when we moved here. It makes ok coffee, it's dead easy, I'll keep using it until it dies then re-evaluate.

Today I descaled it and in order to do this it will run dry both when descaling and rinsing. After the final rinse it wouldn't pump water any longer. Google then gave the best fix which should always be a first attempt before pulling it apart or taking it in for repairs.

Get a sandwich size snaplock bag and seal it with some air inside. Work this into the water reservoir so it creates an airtight seal then run the machine and wha-lah, odds are water will pump through.

The most common issue by far is an air lock in the hose. Sealing the reservoir airtight increases the pressure and forces the air out allowing water to flow again. Simples.

I know not many of you are pod machine folk but it's a handy tip for those that are or anyone you may know.

Disconcerting times for the specialty coffee industry as a whole. Encourage those who can to still get out there and support your local cafe. Extremely backwards advice, but if you must get yours take away then consider leaving the keep cup at home, I know a few places that are refusing them for the time being.

Morning gang. If you're a coffee geek you may or may not know that Ona coffee finally made their Melbourne debut this week. Pretty big deal! Based in Canberra, it's got big clout due to the owner (of Ona lol) being the last Aussie to claim the World Barista Championship. It's a good place to nerd out and go down the coffee rabbit hole.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Morning gang. If you're a coffee geek you may or may not know that Ona coffee finally made their Melbourne debut this week. Pretty big deal! Based in Canberra, it's got big clout due to the owner (of Ona lol) being the last Aussie to claim the World Barista Championship. It's a good place to nerd out and go down the coffee rabbit hole.
Yeah I did hear about it. Got a stack of high end coffees frozen in individual portions so you can order like a reserve wine list. Can’t wait to check it out (and maybe pay $30 for a cup of coffee because I’m a flog)

Yeah I did hear about it. Got a stack of high end coffees frozen in individual portions so you can order like a reserve wine list. Can’t wait to check it out (and maybe pay $30 for a cup of coffee because I’m a flog)

Nobody bats an eyelid if someone within their means buys a bottle of Grange but as soon as you see coffee with a double figure price people are up in arms, "pretentious hipster douchebaggery!"

People don't understand there is a spectrum of quality to coffee, let alone the amount of effort it takes to grow and produce it on both ends of said spectrum.

We are pretty big coffee drinkers here, but don't deal too well with bad coffee, guess it comes with living in North carlton all those years

Anyhow across the iso I've been trying hard using different beans, different methods trying to find a method that suits us both , is palatable ,consistent but also easy and fuss free (without being instant) and not a pod machine, don't like the waste product.

Tough brief without a machine!

I've generally been a moka pot user but I don't find it consistent at all, any little change in heat, stamping, beans makes a world of difference, I was probably batting 50/50 on good v average coffee.

I'd always discounted the French press as faux w***ery that you have over a newspaper in a furniture catalogue, don't know why I didn't respect it? Maybe because I didn't understand it.

Anyhow I went and bought a plunger and went to work, first few kinda came out like aeroplane coffee, not unpleasant but not something I could continue with.

I've since found our method

Bought a bag of these

IMG_20200727_085738.jpg

I course grind it, add 4 heaped table spoons (for our 2 cupper) and let it sit for near on 5 mins, well maybe 3-4 depending how long i can resist...

It's been coming out perfect every time, strong, very consistent, i couldn't ask for more really without paying 1000s for a machine

Then a simple tip of the grounds on the garden and rinse, job done for next time.

I've become a big fan of the simplicity and the results.

We are pretty big coffee drinkers here, but don't deal too well with bad coffee, guess it comes with living in North carlton all those years

Anyhow across the iso I've been trying hard using different beans, different methods trying to find a method that suits us both , is palatable ,consistent but also easy and fuss free (without being instant) and not a pod machine, don't like the waste product.

Tough brief without a machine!

I've generally been a moka pot user but I don't find it consistent at all, any little change in heat, stamping, beans makes a world of difference, I was probably batting 50/50 on good v average coffee.

I'd always discounted the French press as faux w***ery that you have over a newspaper in a furniture catalogue, don't know why I didn't respect it? Maybe because I didn't understand it.

Anyhow I went and bought a plunger and went to work, first few kinda came out like aeroplane coffee, not unpleasant but not something I could continue with.

I've since found our method

Bought a bag of these

View attachment 920262

I course grind it, add 4 heaped table spoons (for our 2 cupper) and let it sit for near on 5 mins, well maybe 3-4 depending how long i can resist...

It's been coming out perfect every time, strong, very consistent, i couldn't ask for more really without paying 1000s for a machine

Then a simple tip of the grounds on the garden and rinse, job done for next time.

I've become a big fan of the simplicity and the results.
It’s such a personal thing isn’t it? I don’t envy you having to please yourself and your wife. Conveniently mine mostly goes with whatever I’m doing (breastfeeding means she can’t have heaps of caffeine).

I currently use either my Brikka (a Bialetti moka pot with an inbuilt pressure valve to increase “crema”) or my V60. Both have challenges as you’ve described around technique making huge differences and given that despite my love of coffee I have a technique which resembles Dylan Clarke’s kicking, some days are better than others.

Surely 8+ mins leaves it a little cooler than desired!

I'll never argue with an expert though. He doseht even plunge, weird times
It gives something to play with. If it seems a little too long go 2 minutes before stirring then 3 minutes before pouring. Worse case you'll do it once, think bugger it, then just plunge away in the future. Best case it gives you something to think about and you run with it, tweaking to suit your taste and/or time constraints.

Surely 8+ mins leaves it a little cooler than desired!

I'll never argue with an expert though. He doseht even plunge, weird times

Pweter on the money there, tweak around with it, see what you like. Temp is a very personal thing, I personally don't like scalding hot so I wait a little. Tastebuds also pick up more when coffee (like a French press or pour over) is a little cooler. Just thought I'd share, this guy is my go to for anything coffee.

Pweter on the money there, tweak around with it, see what you like. Temp is a very personal thing, I personally don't like scalding hot so I wait a little. Tastebuds also pick up more when coffee (like a French press or pour over) is a little cooler. Just thought I'd share, this guy is my go to for anything coffee.

Was a great share!

Reckon temp is cruical for milk takers too. We are black so Emma is used to waiting ages for her long black at the shop to cool off a bit.. Reckon the 5 minutes is bang on for us , but I'll try that separating the top muck thing today

Spent $700 on a sunbeam coffee maker with built in grinder. Has been fantastic. Mind you rhe first one we got was a cheaper sunbeam and the reservoir leaked out the bottom so that went back the next day. Needless to say was a bit nervous about getting a more expensive one with the same design but it was ok in the end. I'm still trying to make a coffee I'm 100% happy with though they sure do taste a lot better.
Okay so this died a couple of months ago. Water just started pissing out of the bottom of the machine every time you made a cup. Seems like it's a fairly common way for these machines to go out regardless of how much you spend as they're all pretty much the same internally. Lucky we bought an extended warranty, something I don't usually do, as we just replaced it with a voucher and bought a vacuum cleaner. Then went elsewhere and bought the model of coffee machine below the one we had and a separate grinder. Got an extended warranty again so we'll see how this one goes..

Was a great share!

Reckon temp is cruical for milk takers too. We are black so Emma is used to waiting ages for her long black at the shop to cool off a bit.. Reckon the 5 minutes is bang on for us , but I'll try that separating the top muck thing today
Looking forward to seeing the progress notes on this experiment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back