Movies & TV The Hangar Film Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure that was the whole idea. Was meant to get you thinking about it. If you were never interested in doing that it was probably always going to fall short for you.
It's not that I wasn't interested in thinking about it, it was just too ambiguous. There's a fine line between ambiguity and pure open-endedness.

I actually ended up reading through some interviews, quotes etc after I finished my viewing. The director said she thought she failed her job because that was the most commonly asked question about the movie, which I thought was quite harsh.

It's not that I wasn't interested in thinking about it, it was just too ambiguous. There's a fine line between ambiguity and pure open-endedness.

I actually ended up reading through some interviews, quotes etc after I finished my viewing. The director said she thought she failed her job because that was the most commonly asked question about the movie, which I thought was quite harsh.

I haven't seen the film, and it's been a long time since I read the book (plus I find Ellis very hit or miss), but from memory one of the key themes of the novel was the ambiguity of not knowing what was real and how much of it was delusions, coping mechanisms, schizophrenia and whatever else

I missed it on release but very much enjoying Knives Out. A really fun movie that has me interested in exactly how it will all play out.
Craig's accent is hilariously off-putting though :grinning: :grinning:
Had this ready to go for a while but never ended up watching it. I fear I may have gotten a huge spoiler from a random article that popped up on FB which deterred me. Something along the lines of Apple not allowing villains to use iPhones in movies, and it then showed a screenshot with a certain character in the movie using a Samsung phone.

I recently watched a 2015 BBC mini-series titled "And Then There Were None" which was based on Agatha Christie's work of the same name. It was very good and definitely a recommend. I do love movies like that with a close setting and heavily influenced by dialogue (12 Angry Men, Hateful Eight, Murder on the Orient Express etc).

I missed it on release but very much enjoying Knives Out. A really fun movie that has me interested in exactly how it will all play out.
Craig's accent is hilariously off-putting though :grinning: :grinning:
Loved it.
Think both Rian Johnson and Daniel Craig are keen to do a sequel as well.

MV5BMjBlYTlhMDctNTQ3ZC00MjM4LWIxNjctNDI4NjA3NDc3Yzc5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEyMjM2NDc2._V1_.jpg

:oops:/5

Like father, like son.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Old Guard on Netflix. Anyone else seen it?

Yep, enjoyed it - all set for a sequel.

I'm looking forward to Dune when it finally gets released.

Let’s discuss Pacino in The Godfather (on SBS on Sat night as it is this time every year).
How did he not get the Oscar?? His acting in parts I&II blows me away every time I watch them.
Yes Brando was great too but....
Could throw a blanket over many in that series. Fantastic performances all round.

Just watched Stanley Kubrick's "Full Metal Jacket" and I really enjoyed it. Didn't have a linear plot per se, but it gave a very interesting look into the realities of war and perhaps the more gruelling process of preparation for war. The Drill Sergeant/Pyle dynamic was pure genius.

the midnight sky - netflix - George Clooney

I couldn't get through it - tedious. Not too dissimilar to gravity. (both have got rave reviews for whatever reason)

I understand they were trying to portray a sense of isolation throughout, and i was intrigued early - Clooney has a strong sense of magnetism. It would have been nothing without him - But it dragged on, and on, and on, and on - even to the point of oddity when they were singing while doing repairs on the ship - trying to create some kind of iconic film moment.

I reckon in times past you could have huge chunks of film without dialog, filmmakers were far more adept at telling stories without spelling it out in words - but its hit or miss whether is comes out well, or if it drags out in tedium, the greats can do it with aplomb. This wasnt a great example.

anyone seen?

I couldn't get through it - tedious. Not too dissimilar to gravity. (both have got rave reviews for whatever reason)

I understand they were trying to portray a sense of isolation throughout, and i was intrigued early - Clooney has a strong sense of magnetism. It would have been nothing without him - But it dragged on, and on, and on, and on - even to the point of oddity when they were singing while doing repairs on the ship - trying to create some kind of iconic film moment.

I reckon in times past you could have huge chunks of film without dialog, filmmakers were far more adept at telling stories without spelling it out in words - but its hit or miss whether is comes out well, or if it drags out in tedium, the greats can do it with aplomb. This wasnt a great example.

anyone seen?
The trailer would have sucked me in but I saw one very negative review which convinced me to miss it.

anyone seen?
Is it just too long, generally?

Seems to me films are getting longer and longer without actually adding value... they seem to just meander for the first half hour or so and get nowhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back