Movies & TV The Hangar Film Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Side note, played poker at Willa Hollands house recently. What a QT :hearteyes:. Still won't watch Arrow though, hah.

Loves to post some interesting photos to instagram. Seems like a cool chick

Side note, played poker at Willa Hollands house recently. What a QT :hearteyes:. Still won't watch Arrow though, hah.
She's the best character in the show. Hate how she has a reduced role now

Recently watched films include Manchester by the Sea and Collateral Beauty.

Manchester had a few interesting moments but was ultimately dissatisfying; there was nothing I felt I could latch onto and take away from it as a reward for sitting through it. There were a few scenes that were gutting, however even Casey’s performance, while excellent in moments, was imperfect. Film score 5/10.

Collateral Beauty I had very low expectations for. In the end I didn’t think it was a total disaster - 3.5/10.

Secret Life of Walter Mitty. Meh. Stiller probably needed to give something different, but failed to. I found it pleasant but nothing more - 4/10.

Life. Awful film. Shameless lack of originality and utter stupidity in its characters. Couldn’t finish with 20 minutes to go - 2/10.

The Road. Wow. Liked it a lot then read the book. Totally bleak and removes any romanticism of the post apocalypse - 7.5/10.

Late to the party. But how does one get an invite to her house for poker?

Asking for a friend.

I'm friends with her boyfriend.

Side note: She's an incredible poker player, and rips a bong harder than anyone I've ever seen, hah.

Just saw Coco the new Disney Pixar film yesterday. Holy. Forking. Shirtballs. The feels.

This film will make you bawl your eyes out as well as laugh out loud. It’s brilliant.

Go see it
Nice use of Eleanor language there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mmm, I think with sufficient development work it'd make for a quality TV series. There's certainly sufficient material. The films' problem is that, in lieu of that development, Jackson just took the worst parts of LOTR and repeated them ad nauseum over eight hours.

TV would just take Jackson's problems and explode them out by 10. This so-called golden age of television should be termed the Age of Narrative Bloat.

There's more character, development and intrigue in 80 minutes of 12 Angry Men than 7 seasons of Game of Thrones.

Jackson's films have never really been my go in the main, but his original three, at least in their theatrical form, have great verisimilitude and presentation, and he alters his shooting style dramatically over the course of the films. Fellowship visually has more in common with Heavenly Creatures (his actual masterpiece) and The Frighteners than Return, where the camera is restrained to a more classical, Lean-esque look. But his reverence for Tolkien is his Achilles heel - only an uber-nerd would think that appendices are worth adapting, as if everything that bubbled forth from Tolkein's pen was pure gold.

Conversely there's never been a proper film made of Shakespeare's bonkers medieval trilogy of Henry VI. Go figure.

Heavenly Creatures (his actual masterpiece)
Excuse me?

9f4bae73c4665542cae55d8a7a.jpg

TV would just take Jackson's problems and explode them out by 10. This so-called golden age of television should be termed the Age of Narrative Bloat.

There's more character, development and intrigue in 80 minutes of 12 Angry Men than 7 seasons of Game of Thrones.

Jackson's films have never really been my go in the main, but his original three, at least in their theatrical form, have great verisimilitude and presentation, and he alters his shooting style dramatically over the course of the films. Fellowship visually has more in common with Heavenly Creatures (his actual masterpiece) and The Frighteners than Return, where the camera is restrained to a more classical, Lean-esque look. But his reverence for Tolkien is his Achilles heel - only an uber-nerd would think that appendices are worth adapting, as if everything that bubbled forth from Tolkein's pen was pure gold.

Conversely there's never been a proper film made of Shakespeare's bonkers medieval trilogy of Henry VI. Go figure.

The Henry VI trilogy wont happen for the same reason Tasmania will never get an AFL team.

I agree that LOTR and GOT are overrated, a bit unfair to compare them to one of the great movies though.

I certainly wouldn't put Jackson in charge. In any case, as a book the Hobbit is very much a sequence of self-contained episodes. That narrative limitation becomes a narrative flaw in the films, which have the same "this happened then this happened then this happened" feel to them, amplified by the decision to make them a rolling sequence of set-pieces, but without the excuse of being individual bedtime stories. That carve up with all the attendant cliffhangers would however lend itself to a serialised format - though only across a season or two.

Alas, hardly unique to the adaptation. The first book is perfectly sound, and hence so is the first season. After that though, it devolved into thousands of pages of characters moving from A to B while painfully transparent reveals were manoeuvred into place, something the series merely reflects. As with said Hobbit films, there seems a nasty habit in contemporary fantasy to write nine books where two of three would suffice - or eight and a half and then drop dead.

But his reverence for Tolkien is his Achilles heel - only an uber-nerd would think that appendices are worth adapting, as if everything that bubbled forth from Tolkein's pen was pure gold.
And yet a good 5 hours of the Hobbit films are the equivalent of Legolas doing his best Tony Hawk impression.

Last edited:
Also on this point, did you catch Wolf Hall? I felt Rylance and Lewis were typically excellent, but in inexplicably cramming the first two of three books into a single English cycle of six episodes they ran into the opposite problem, destroying their capacity to appropriately pace the story.

I certainly wouldn't put Jackson in charge. In any case, as a book the Hobbit is very much a sequence of self-contained episodes. That narrative limitation becomes a narrative flaw in the films, which have the same "this happened then this happened then this happened" feel to them, amplified by the decision to make them a rolling sequence of set-pieces, but without the excuse of being individual bedtime stories. That carve up with all the attendant cliffhangers would however lend itself to a serialised format - though only across a season or two.

And yet a good 5 hours of the Hobbit films are the equivalent of Legolas doing his best Tony Hawk impression.

I think you could go to work on the narrative(s) of The Hobbit and craft a great adventure film out of it, one with a lightness and an urgency - my analogue would be A New Hope, Star Wars before it was filled with portent and the need to be epic and highly dramatic - something light, something fun with good lessons for kids and whatnot in it. You have to ignore people who bemoan a lack of fidelity between source and adaptation... such people would ruin The Godfather for everyone by demanding that Puzo's vaginal surgery subplot remains intact.

Also on this point, did you catch Wolf Hall? I felt Rylance and Lewis were typically excellent, but in inexplicably cramming the first two of three books into a single English cycle of six episodes they ran into the opposite problem, destroying their capacity to appropriately pace the story.

I did catch and enjoy Wolf Hall; it's good soap but Thomas Cromwell as a ladykiller is just a bit too funny. I normally wouldn't care but Mantel's investment in the sick wave of Cromwell apologia is disturbing. He was a brilliant but brutal hatchet man, and A Man For All Seasons is a far more honest, sensible portrayal of him. I'm not normally too disturbed by historical inaccuracy for the sake of a good story, but if something goes completely off the deep end and into the area of blatant propaganda (Braveheart) then I struggle a tad. The more appropriate title for Wolf Hall would be Catholics Are Cancer; Don't Listen to Robert Bolt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back