Sport The Hangar Fishing Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Chicken and prawn, works every time
Illegal to use chicken here in SA these days, however I heard from an old Italian bloke who used to catch bream hand over fist using chicken at the Murray River mouth that his secret was to mix the chicken in a bit of grated parmesan. Can't tell you from experience if it works given it's illegal here now but could be worth mixing some chicken, keeping some clean, then fish 2 rods and see which chicken gets results.

Yeah running sinker but can do paternoster, depends on the conditions.

I use a very small circle hook aswell.

Been a long time since I’ve caught a fish on a lure or soft plastic

Not sure what the formal name is but when fishing for whiting now, I often use a running paternoster type setup (bear with me). Beneath a swivel I have 2 hooks but instead of having the sinker at the bottom I have a longish leader (up to 1.5m) with a hook on the bottom, a hook near to the swivel and a ball sinker running between the hooks.

It's a good one to have in the arsenal in case a standard paternoster or a running sinker isn't working.

I went out bream fishing on the weekend. I’m keen to get into catching them on soft plastics now that I’m back in melb. No luck but I’ll keep going
I have caught a lot of bream near the bridge that crosses the Yarra outside Rod Laver (release them all!). On prawn/maggots/worm. Some have been up to 2 pounds but most are undersized little tackers. Best to use no sinker and cast about 3 feet in front of the rushes. Seen someone land a bloody big mulloway there too when I was driving past one day. One day my little kid and I would have caught over 50 fish...most days get 5 or so fish. Been at least 5 years since I have been there.

Illegal to use chicken here in SA these days, however I heard from an old Italian bloke who used to catch bream hand over fist using chicken at the Murray River mouth that his secret was to mix the chicken in a bit of grated parmesan. Can't tell you from experience if it works given it's illegal here now but could be worth mixing some chicken, keeping some clean, then fish 2 rods and see which chicken gets results.
Caught a decent cod at Yarrawonga on chicken....the following year I kept catching turtles on it so gave up with that bait.

Just moved into Wyndham Harbour. This spot is a 3 min walk from my place (middle building). Now I just got to hope there are actually fish around hereView attachment 1023527View attachment 1023534
Looks like reasonably deep water in close...surely you will get pinkies and whiting if you put enough time in from here on until the end of Summer, if you put enough time in, evenings and mornings. Burley will help.

Looks like reasonably deep water in close...surely you will get pinkies and whiting if you put enough time in from here on until the end of Summer, if you put enough time in, evenings and mornings. Burley will help.

Yeah it does get deep very quickly. The rock wall is a breakwater for a marina, so the ends of the rock wall are quite a distance from the shore. I’ll keep at it over summer. It’s so nice to not have to plan ahead for fishing. Within 10 mins I can go from being at my place to casting. It’s bloody brilliant.

Yeah it does get deep very quickly. The rock wall is a breakwater for a marina, so the ends of the rock wall are quite a distance from the shore. I’ll keep at it over summer. It’s so nice to not have to plan ahead for fishing. Within 10 mins I can go from being at my place to casting. It’s bloody brilliant.
They get decent snapper and mulloway off the breakwall there, although they're restricting access now I hear.

Here's a random selection of what I caught on the long weekend

n1PdBuF.jpg

9MgDTrD.jpg

qWVdk08.jpg

qO8IKNP.jpg

GbpvQSJ.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easter trip out on my Uncles boat out from Apollo Bay. Snapper, Nannygai and flatties. Eight of us fishing....must have thrown back 150 undersized pinkies, small flatties and heaps of rat couta as well. Fed 3 families for a few nights and a few feeds were brought home.

1618228537769.png

Went for a dive and found a few crays...got one myself and let my kids have a crack at the others with no luck...but hey we all got to learn.

Ate like kings beer battered fish for tea and cray for lunch.

1618229009753.png

Youngest one works in a restaurant and he discovered abalone when we were diving. He cooked up an incredible pasta dish. I've had abs before and never really liked it but the way he did OMG it was amazing.

Last edited:
Easter trip out on my Uncles boat out from Apollo Bay. Snapper, Nannygai and flatties. Eight of us fishing....must have thrown back 150 undersized pinkies, small flatties and heaps of rat couta as well. Fed 3 families for a few nights and a few feeds were brought home.

View attachment 1101075

Went for a dive and found a few crays...got one myself and let my kids have a crack at the others with no luck...but hey we all got to learn.

Ate like kings beer battered fish for tea and cray for lunch.

View attachment 1101091

Youngest one works in a restaurant and he discovered abalone when we were diving. He cooked up an incredible pasta dish. I've had abs before and never really liked it but the way he did OMG it was amazing.

What depth are you finding the nannygai in? One of these days I'll try some of the outer reefs off Barwon Heads but I reckon Apollo Bay would be much better just because of the lack of fishing pressure.

What depth are you finding the nannygai in? One of these days I'll try some of the outer reefs off Barwon Heads but I reckon Apollo Bay would be much better just because of the lack of fishing pressure.
Not sure TBH. It was deep, we were maybe 1.5 kms off Blanket Bay (getting towards Cape Otway). I have fished deeper there but you are out on the sand. This was a on a huge rockledge...there was minimal drift so we basically sat on it for an hour. The Nannygai were caught early morning with the snapper and a lot of Bull Eye Gurnard. We were busting off on a reef after a while and moved further out to another mark and got more snapper and flatties. I wasn't near the sounder so I did not look...I was fishing at the end of the boat and its a 70 footer. My uncle is in his late 60s and has been a pro there all his life so knows that area inside out.

Oh and the ocean was alive with life...acres upon acres upon acres of dolphins, seals, penguins. Couldn't drop your line in without stirring up couta and arrow head squid...fish busting up everywhere all day. Would not have been surprised if there were tuna about.

Last edited:
Not sure TBH. It was deep, we were maybe 1.5 kms off Blanket Bay (getting towards Cape Otway). I have fished deeper there but you are out on the sand. This was a on a huge rockledge...there was minimal drift so we basically sat on it for an hour. The Nannygai were caught early morning with the snapper and a lot of Bull Eye Gurnard. We were busting off on a reef after a while and moved further out to another mark and got more snapper and flatties. I wasn't near the sounder so I did not look...I was fishing at the end of the boat and its a 70 footer. My uncle is in his late 60s and has been a pro there all his life so knows that area inside out.

Oh and the ocean was alive with life...acres upon acres upon acres of dolphins, seals, penguins. Couldn't drop your line in without stirring up couta and arrow head squid...fish busting up everywhere all day. Would not have been surprised if there were tuna about.
Lol I'd love a boat like that. There's a pretty steep drop off in that area on Navionics, maybe that was the area the skipper was targeting.

Henty reef looks like kingfish heaven and I'll definitely be having a look around there next summer.

Hang an arrow squid over the side next time you get one too, they're tuna candy and I've hooked two barrels using them as bait (didn't land either of them sadly)

Lol I'd love a boat like that. There's a pretty steep drop off in that area on Navionics, maybe that was the area the skipper was targeting.

Henty reef looks like kingfish heaven and I'll definitely be having a look around there next summer.
Fished down there a hell of a lot growing up (about 10kms back towards Lorne from Apollo Bay)...never ever caught a nannygai until this trip. Had Kingies go under our tinnie out there one day and they were a metre plus and there were heaps of them. There's a little Henty reef close to Marengo which is a seal sanctuary and there's an outer one that breaks when the swells up offshore.

Fished down there a hell of a lot growing up (about 10kms back towards Lorne from Apollo Bay)...never ever caught a nannygai until this trip. Had Kingies go under our tinnie out there one day and they were a metre plus and there were heaps of them. There's a little Henty reef close to Marengo which is a seal sanctuary and there's an outer one that breaks when the swells up offshore.
The outer Henty is the one I was looking at, massive bommie rising up from 50m or so. Just screams kingfish. Actually that whole length of coast from Airys down to the cape looks pretty good and with only the ramps at Anglesea and Apollo Bay it can't be fished too heavily.

I need to suss out Wye River and Kennett River and see if a beach launch in the kayak is feasible there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back