Random The Hangar Plane/Aviation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Doss Was cleaning up some papers and found my flight itinerary for the Europe trip:

B777 Melbourne to Dubai via KL
B777 Dubai to Amsterdam return
A38 Dubai to Melbourne

A320 Schipol to Barcelona return

Embraer EM Amsterdam to Glasgow return

I don't even remember the Embraer though. It wasn't much different from an A320 from what I can remember :think:
777 is a good dependable plane.

I take back what I said before about having not been on the A330 in Australia; I would have been a few times actually, between Melbourne and Sydney.

777 is a good dependable plane.

I take back what I said before about having not been on the A330 in Australia; I would have been a few times actually, between Melbourne and Sydney.
Yeah they go alright. I still prefer the A380 though :p Don't think I've been on an A330. All the domestic flights I've been on were single aisle planes.

The Embraer – I'm fairly certain was two seats each side of the aisle. I remember a plane like that and it wasn't an A320 so must've been the Embraer. It was really small. Any smaller and you'd expect a prop engine :p

There's the 717 also; seats about 105-110 people so they're pretty small.

Single aisle, but two seats one side and three on the other, so they're an unusual layout.

There's the 717 also; seats about 105-110 people so they're pretty small.

Single aisle, but two seats one side and three on the other, so they're an unusual layout.
That does sound weird. Wouldn't it be kinda unbalanced? :think: Google says an Embraer EM holds 70 passengers :fearscream: I don't remember it being that tiny. The one that sticks in my mind was taking a solar-powered airport bus cross country to a random paddock and climbing the stairs to board a plane... I thought that was in Spain though. Maybe it was at Schiphol on the way to Scotland. I guess airports are just weird.

I come here to respect a legend.

You know in this slick new world of efficiency and tightly programmed economics I think style, grace and experience can fall by the wayside.

Throughout history there are marker points through time where certain items became iconic, their mere design becomes art, their legend enhanced throughout time as new items become homogenous and throwaway. I readily think of designs like the humble moka pot

upload_2018-8-16_8-16-1.jpeg

the porsche 911

images

the coke bottle

upload_2018-8-16_8-19-12.jpeg

iconic items that transcended their use.

Back in the days air travel was a privileged exercise, it was expensive and for the well to do. Images of glamorous hostesses with hats and scarves serving their guests hark back to a bygone era when going across the world was still a feat.

But then in 1976, it was time to reach for the stars, man had stood upon the moon and technology seemed to have no bounds, it was time to take the humble plane and super charge it. With that I give you, Concorde.

Even the mention of the world brings out the child in me, I used to draw it every day with the nose cone up, nose cone down, used to marvel at its shape, half rocket, half plane, used to ask my dad everything about it, about the sonic boom, how fast it could go, all I ever wanted to do was go on a Concorde.

upload_2018-8-16_8-26-58.jpeg

look at it!!!

its like a menacing bird of prey, its all fire and brimstone, yet elegant and refined. Its the original velvet sledgehammer.

upload_2018-8-16_8-28-42.jpeg

its a graceful bird, its the paper plane you make as a kid before you learn that there are probably better ways to make a paper plane.

even now I cant stop looking at it, very nostalgic is the moon right now.

Concorde developed and operated from 1976 to 2003, by both British airways and Air France in a rare Anglo French treaty. Infact Concorde's name, meaning "harmony" or "union", was chosen to reflect the co-operation on the project between the United Kingdom and France.

It had a max speed hurtling at twice the speed of sound at Mach 2.04 (1,354 mph or 2,180 km/h at cruise altitude)

It seated a modest 92 - 128 elite passengers depending on setup. (which affected its $$$ feasibility)

The aircraft was used mainly by wealthy passengers who could afford to pay a high price in exchange for Concorde's speed and luxury service. For example, in 1997, the round-trip ticket price from New York to London was $7,995, more than 30 times the cost of the cheapest option to fly this route.

Viability was always an issue. A major factor which affected the viability of all supersonic transport programmes was supersonic route options were eventually limited to ocean-crossing only to prevent sonic boom disturbance on populated areas. With only seven airframes each being operated by the British and French, the per-unit cost was impossible to recoup, so the French and British governments absorbed the development costs. British Airways and Air France were able to operate Concorde at a profit, in spite of very high maintenance costs, because Concorde was able to sustain a high ticket price. The experience it seems was still at the heart of why some people wanted to travel.

Concorde won the 2006 Great British Design Quest organised by the BBC and the Design Museum, beating other well-known designs such as the BMC Mini, the miniskirt, the Jaguar E-Type, the London Tube map and the Supermarine Spitfire.

Concorde was retired in 2003, three years after the crash of Air France Flight 4590, in which all passengers and crew were killed. The planes first and only fatalities. The general downturn in the commercial aviation industry after the September 11 attacks in 2001 was also a factor.

The fastest transatlantic airliner flight was from New York JFK to London Heathrow on 7 February 1996 by the British Airways G-BOAD in 2 hours, 52 minutes, 59 seconds from take-off to touchdown aided by a 175 mph (282 km/h) tailwind. On 13 February 1985, a Concorde charter flight flew from London Heathrow to Sydney—on the opposite side of the world—in a time of 17 hours, 3 minutes and 45 seconds, including refuelling stops.

Now that im in midlife crisis mode, I just hope they can get one going again, just so maybe, I can go for a joy flight. I do hear Richard Branson wanted to buy the worlds stockpile to get them airborne again but... who knows.

From a pilot's perspective, my dad always says that Boeing aircraft are designed by pilots, Airbus designed by engineers. As a passenger I much prefer Airbus.

He's been a pilot his whole life, did all the top gun stuff then went commercial in 1989 when like a lot of other Air Force pilots did during the dispute with the Hawke administration. I never had much of an interest in aviation despite his many attempts!

also the concorde was the last of the new style airliners that still required a flight engineer along with the pilot

looks like they actually fly the plane, not kick back drinking frappachino with their legs up

There's a lot of development going on again for supersonic airliners - not as big as the Concorde, but still for paying passengers. The engineers are focusing on low noise flight, i.e. minimising the sonic boom. The current expressions of interest for the replacement of Airforce One is for a supersonic airliner.

There's a lot of development going on again for supersonic airliners - not as big as the Concorde, but still for paying passengers. The engineers are focusing on low noise flight, i.e. minimising the sonic boom. The current expressions of interest for the replacement of Airforce One is for a supersonic airliner.

Think I watched show a while back with a bunch of silicone valley types fighting each other to build the next supersonic passenger jet, like space X type stuff

Think I watched show a while back with a bunch of silicone valley types fighting each other to build the next supersonic passenger jet, like space X type stuff

Yeah, there's actually quite a few new start-ups working on it.

Boom is the most prominent one at the moment: https://boomsupersonic.com/

There are others, including NASA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back