Politics The Hangar Politics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm pretty comfortable labelling the people who consider themselves part of the alt-right as neo-nazis, given, you know, the beliefs and all.

The 'alt-right' is a wonderful label to use as an attack because it can be used to apply to a whole bunch of different beliefs. Labelling all of them is neo-Nazi is stupid and unhelpful.

the alt-right has never particularly struck me as a broad church. there's the white nationalism thing right there at the top of it. and if you're going say there's elements of the alt-right that doesn't have white nationalism as it's core belief, I'm gonna say they're part of something other than the alt-right (such as just normal right wing)

the alt-right has never particularly struck me as a broad church. there's the white nationalism thing right there at the top of it. and if you're going say there's elements of the alt-right that doesn't have white nationalism as it's core belief, I'm gonna say they're part of something other than the alt-right (such as just normal right wing)

Right-left doesn't exist. Not merely outdated, but actually never worked as a model.

What is and isn't 'alt-right' is too debated for it to be an actively used term.

The standard of political debate these days plumbs deeper depths by the day.

Substance went out the door a long time ago. It's just slogans, hashtags, s**t memes and YouTube clips. And almost entirely reactionary and a never ending contest between who can be most outraged on one side and who can test the boundaries of basic decency the most while hiding behind the excuse of free speech/anti SJW.

I find myself almost entirely tuned out now.
I have a pure hatred for SJW's

What's the rationale behind it being good for young people?

I know industry will be pleased because of the savings it will produce so I suppose it's good for them - how exactly can it be spun to be 'good' for young people who will cop pay cuts, though?

Yeah but that's not how it will work in practice for some. It's affecting Sunday rates only here, right?

Well let's say young Johnnie Doe has a full on study load - let's say he's law/eng for argument's sake. He does a bit of tutoring during the week, and also has one shift a week on Sundays at a bottle shop because no one else who works there wants to work Sundays.

The shift is set in stone as being 2-7 every Sunday, with no prospect of that being increased.

I don't think young Johnnie is going to be in a position to work harder; he's just going to be worse off.

What's the rationale behind it being good for young people?

I know industry will be pleased because of the savings it will produce so I suppose it's good for them - how exactly can it be spun to be 'good' for young people who will cop pay cuts, though?
More jobs. Which is utter crap because the ones that will elect to do it won't actually employ more people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but that's not how it will work in practice for some. It's affecting Sunday rates only here, right?

Well let's say young Johnnie Doe has a full on study load - let's say he's law/eng for argument's sake. He does a bit of tutoring during the week, and also has one shift a week on Sundays at a bottle shop because no one else who works there wants to work Sundays.

The shift is set in stone as being 2-7 every Sunday, with no prospect of that being increased.

I don't think young Johnnie is going to be in a position to work harder; he's just going to be worse off.
Sounds like Johnnie needs to drink some concrete.

More jobs. Which is utter crap because the ones that will elect to do it won't actually employ more people.

A rubbish argument.

Businesses resource as light on as they possibly can - that is not going to change because the wage component of their overheads suddenly becomes smaller.

A rubbish argument.

Businesses resource as light on as they possibly can - that is not going to change because the wage component of their overheads suddenly becomes smaller.
Which is why it's overwhelming unpopular with people between the ages of 15 and 25.

But nah, the coalition know what's good for young people. Young people don't know what's good for them. Just let the wise older heads do what they need to do.

Sounds like Johnnie needs to drink some concrete.
Easy for us to say. If he's losing $50 a week because of it (and Sunday rates being what they are, that's not an unrealistic estimate) and he's trying to pay for rent, for his car, for food, that could well mean he's suddenly in a much tighter spot than he was, through no fault of his own.

Sometimes life throws these curveballs at you and you just have to deal, but 'drink a cup of concrete' is pretty different to him somehow being better off, because it seems pretty clear to me young Johnnie here won't be.

Easy for us to say. If he's losing $50 a week because of it (and Sunday rates being what they are, that's not an unrealistic estimate) and he's trying to pay for rent, for his car, for food, that could well mean he's suddenly in a much tighter spot than he was, through no fault of his own.

Sometimes life throws these curveballs at you and you just have to deal, but 'drink a cup of concrete' is pretty different to him somehow being better off, because it seems pretty clear to me young Johnnie here won't be.
Maybe he could sell meth on the side to his uni mates.

Nights and weekends are not like any other day. Case in point: when do we ever play a game of football at 1pm on an average Wednesday?

When the majority of the population are working 24/7 rotating rosters I'll believe it, but while it's hospitality, retail, manufacturing and emergency services losing their social lives (and their sanity) to make sure you can buy a last minute gift for your mother in law on Saturday, go out for breakfast with her on Sunday morning, and not die when you choke on your coffee, you can shove that argument.

I'm curious what the cost will be to centrelink when the effects of this go through. When income is too high they cut how much you get, so with people losing income perhaps the tax you pay from your 9-5 can cover the difference instead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back