The Hierarchy of Hate

Remove this Banner Ad

If I'm not at a game. I have trouble watching the Lions on Tv. Too much angst and stress and no way to let it out. I find watching a game in which I am 'neutral' less taxing.

But of course, one is never 'neutral'. Even when not hugely concerned by the outcome one, (or I in any event) soon reveal a preference. That tendency, which I tried to explain to my non sporting daughter, together with the rivalry thread has led me to codify my ...

HIERARCHY of HATE

Basically, the team at the top is my least favourite. I will never support them. The team in second I will support only if they are playing the team above them. 3rd get my passing support if they are playing 1 or 2 ans so on.

Of course this is only for now certainly the lower reaches can change from week to week. It is also dependent on what results may mean for the lions.

1- Carlton
2. Essendon
3. Collingwood
4. Port
5. Richmond
6. St Kilda
7. Bulldogs
8.Adelaide
9. Fremantle
10. Hawthorn
11. Sydney
12. Geelong
13. West coast
14. Melbourne
15. North
16. Gws
17. Suns

Prior to BigFooty: 1 = Collingwood
After joining BigFooty: 1 = Carlton

The rest tend to be relatively even and move around too frequently to put in a definitive order.

The sole reason I have a soft spot for carlton (and apologies if this gets me excommunicated from the Lions boards) is that my granddad supports them and I'd like them to get another premiership before he kicks on. Doesn't mean I like them, it just pushes them out of the top 4.
The same reasoning goes for Melbourne (dad), Richmond (closest family friend) and North (close family friend) but they're only just passing 50 so those teams can afford to suffer for another decade or two before any sympathy kicks in.
1. Collingwobbles
2. St Kilda
3. Port
4. Geelong
5. Carlton
6. Essendon
7. West Coast
8. Hawks
9. Sydney
10 Adelaide
11 Freo
12 Dogs
13 North
14 Richmond
15 Melbourne
16 Suns
17 GWS

West Coast have slipped down a bit in recent times. A couple of players (Shuey and Hams mainly) ducking for free kicks deminishes my enjoyment of the game. And whenever we play them the commentators spend most of their time talking about Naitanui. And their crowd didn't exactly cover themselves in glory when we played them.

No surprise to find that 3 of the top 10 free kick fors were from west coast

I will barrack passionately for any team against:
1. Collingwood

I find it very easy to always support the team against:
2. Geelong
3. Carlton

Thanks to our history in Grand Finals I would prefer not to see success for either of:
4. Port Adelaide
5. Essendon

I don't care much for:
6. Western Bulldogs
7. Fremantle
8. Melbourne
9. North Melbourne

I take some interest in:
10. GWS
11. Richmond
12. West Coast Eagles
13. Sydney
14. Adelaide

I often find myself supporting:
15. Hawthorn
16. St Kilda

I wish to see success for and will always support whole heartedly:
17. Gold Coast
Unless they are playing the Lions, in which case they will all be copping tirades of abuse (especially J. Brennan).

I passionately hate and will passionately support anyone who is playing:
Collingwood

I also hate:
Port Adelaide and Carlton

I have a disliking towards (no particular order):
Essendon (arrogant fans, most of the fans, along with Carlton's have ridiculously irrational views towards clash jumpers), Richmond (their fans act like their team is actually relevant and they don't have a proper clash jumper), St Kilda (stems from the mid 2000's, also can't stand Riewoldt or Milne) and Melbourne (worst fans on BigFooty).

For trolling purposes, I would prefer not to see success for:
Geelong (we both have three premierships in this millennium), Hawthorn (currently on 10 VFL/AFL premierships, needs one more to equal us and also massive bunch of bandwagoners) and West Coast (we both have three AFL premierships). Don't really want to see success to North Melbourne or Adelaide but not to the extent to the three teams I mentioned previously.

I'm fairly indifferent to the other teams. I find the Bulldogs to be irrelevant, Freo will be to the North/Adelaide level once they win their first premiership. I want to see Gold Coast successful off the field but I am indifferent to them on the field (want to see them beat Collingwood, lose to us GWS etc). I actually don't mind Sydney the "pissweak club", and while they are a novelty club GWS are sorta my second team, as they haven't beaten us yet, but will change when they do. I did enjoy going for GWS when I went to the GC v GWS match at Carrara in August.

Therefore my hierachy of hate is:
1. Collingwood
2. Port Adelaide
3. Carlton
=4. Essendon, St Kilda, Richmond and Melbourne
=8. Geelong, Hawthorn and West Coast
=11. Adelaide and North Melbourne
13. Bulldogs
=14. Fremantle and Gold Coast (will both move up in time, when they gain more success)
16. Sydney
17. GWS (ditto above bracket)

First in terms of dislike by a long way: Collingwood because...well, Collingwood arrogance.

After that:
All the other Melbourne teams and West Coast: arrogance. But will give North, Bulldogs, and to a degree, Saints some allowance for not being quite so self-entitled and arrogant. Also I can tolerate Hawthorn a little more than Melbourne, Essendon, Richmond and Carlton. I especially hate that "big four" self importance.

Then: Adelaide and Sydney and Geelong

Followed by Fremantle

Then GWS

Finally GC.

But really I am content to hate whichever team the Lions are playing.

1. Carlton
2. Gold Coast
3. Freo
4. West Coast
5. Collingwood
6. Port
7. Adelaide
8. Essendon
9. Melbourne
10. Geelong
11. Western Bulldogs
12. Sydney
13. St Kilda
14. North
15. GWS
16. Richmond
17. Hawthorn

Surprised by the Suns love on here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Carlton (would love to see Mick grab a flag before Bucks though)
2. Essendon
3. Collingwoood
4. Port
5. West Coast
. 9 teams that are hard to split due to total indifference
15. Hawthorn
16. Sydney
17. Richmond

I'm surprised you hate the WA teams more than the feral Pies.

Suns I'm indifferent to.

I hate West Coast because of the boos, and the way the Freo handled trade week last year has turned me right off them. I reckon they've got a horrible club culture over there right now. As for Collingwood, I hate them most when they're successful. When they're not, they don't bother me much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back