The Lethal's Lounge Great Food Guide

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
With all the hype about masterchef and cooking and fine dining and Jamie Oliver and all the rest of it I figured we could do with a thread about food. Not just food in general but food that you buy. When you've paid for the priveledge of letting someone else cook for you there's also a big chance you're wanting it to be better than what you'd cook for yourself.

So let's hear it guys and girls, when you're out and about for a meal let us all know how good, bad or indifferent it was.

Re: The Mustard Pot Fine Dining Thread

Probably doesn't fall under the banner of 'fine dining' but for a great feed you cannot go past:

Andrew's Hamburgers, Bridport St, Albert Park.

andrewsburger.jpg

I had the pleasure of living over this side of town for 12 months and I must say that there is no greater treat than grabbing a burger from here and sitting down to watch the footy (if you can't make it to the game, of course.)

Finished exams today and actually drove from Caulfield to ALbert Park to reward myself with one of these bad boys. When the weather is a bit warmer they open the front door and the entire street is flooded with this wonderful scent.

Really friendly group of people run the place too. You feel like a regular the first time you go there.

Brilliant stuff.

A great lunch spot opposite the Grand Hyatt is Sheni's Curries.
Went there today and blasted my head off with the 3 different vegie and fish curry for $10.

Well worth a look.

Speaking of Mr. Oliver, Mrs Messenger and I partook of Fifteen a while back and enjoyed it immensely.

Somewhat more than Mr Calombaris' offering at Press Club.

Speaking of Mr. Oliver, Mrs Messenger and I partook of Fifteen a while back and enjoyed it immensely.

Somewhat more than Mr Calombaris' offering at Press Club.

I've had two really good meals at the Press Club about 3 years back, more recently I've had 2 crap meals. Not going back. Hellenic Republic is good.

Coda in Flinders Lane is awesome.

Ok, my favourite is:

Afghan Village - 923 Bourke Rd Camberwell. Go there and check it out.
I love Afghan food!

Grizz - press club is overrated and has went backwards (bit biased as i'm mates with George)

Tomorrow I will be having a long lunch at RARE Steakhouse on Little Collins St then straight to London Tavern!!!

Movida is a ripper for paella

Number 8 is a traditional favourite for me as well as Bergerac on King St.

Rockpool overrated

Interesting thread.

The trendy Mexican joint at the top of Collins Street (upstairs) is awesome. It puts the swill slopped up at Taco Bills into its proper context.

A great lunch spot opposite the Grand Hyatt is Sheni's Curries.
Went there today and blasted my head off with the 3 different vegie and fish curry for $10.

Well worth a look.

Is that at the top of Bourke St Grizz? Or am I in the wrong place - there are a couple of Indian places up there that have always caught my eye but I've never had the pleasure.

Is that at the top of Bourke St Grizz? Or am I in the wrong place - there are a couple of Indian places up there that have always caught my eye but I've never had the pleasure.

Flinders Lane and Russell Street.

An oldie but a goodie.

Quite a fan after a night game of stopping off at Danny's in Fitzroy for a burger. Open till the early hours as well. :thumbsu: :D

oh good old Danny's. The local folklore states the great flavour comes from them having never once cleaning their grill with cleaning product, just hot water, just like a BBQ.

I eat out way too much.

Just a few of the places around here that I can vouch for...
Laksa King - Flemington. You'll struggle to find a better Seafood Curry Laksa. Awesome.

Carosello's - Moonee Ponds. Nice little Italian place opposite the train station. the Food is spot on, and I'm a sucker for a host of their traditional dishes.

I love an all day breakfast too, and Lemon Soul on Puckle st has done me wonders on a seedy Sunday afternoon.

Yep, agree with you on Laksa King. Excellent. Laksa Me in town isn't bad, and Penang Coffee House out in Burwood Rd is good too. Love a good Laksa.

There's an Asian 'fusion' joint we go to in town about once a month. It's got a real mixed menu - Thai, Malay etc - and the food is usually quite hot. We call it 'Arse Cafe', for obvious reasons.

Not fine dining, but best indian "sit'n'go" in CBD/southbank?

I need somewhere we can get into at short (zero) notice, but still get some decent food at reasonable prices (then again, it IS indian we're after).

Not sure about fine dining but Sheni's which I mentioned earlier is great. It's fast, cheap and has great food. It is technically Sri Lankan food though.

The other cheape around the corner on Flinder st between Russell and Exhibition is Desi Daba. It's dark, big, smells like a market and has blaring Bollywood music. Tis a favourite of Indian taxi drivers.

Further down on Flinders st near Y&Js, actually it's in a little arcade just off the street is another ripper. Don't know the name but it's good. The food comes on these enourmous bronze plates. Cheap too but gets very busy.

Another great lunch place nearby in Port Phillip arcade is Sushi Ten, awesome cheap Japanese food and free weak tea. The dons are particularly good.

In nearby degraves st the fish and chip shop Bluefin is also good.

I've found with Indian food that price is not an indicator of quality, not at all.

The best sign of a good Indian place is how busy it is (which is not true of all cuisine types, from my experience!)

Might have to rename this thread.

"Eating cheap with Ben Stratton" ?

Cookie on Swanston St, near QV. Very good.

Oh god, I've destroyed big chunks of my liver in that place.... fond memories of chuffing on a Cuban, eating calamari and drinking Budvar all at the same time. Oh god...

Incidentally, Karen Batson, who was responsible for the terrific Thai food at Cookie has moved on and is now cooking at Colonel Tan's at Revolver. Excellent food.

Wesley Snipes likes Revolver....

Re: The Mustard Pot Great Food Guide

I have no memories of Cookie except for a warm glow.

Back to the food.

Went to Itsumoto, High St Northcote (opposite peacock hotel) last night. How's this for a line up:

Tiger Prawn special: lightly fright with green noodle and dipping sauce
Nori Gyoza
BBQ-esque Prawns/rice and something something sauce
Kingfish special
Green Tea Ice Cream

Yes, that's right - I went to a Japanese restaurant without eating any sashimi or sushi. Food was great except for the kingfish. Staff was great but we didn't realise they closed at 9 - made a lot mroe sense as to why they rushed us out of there!

Would definitely go back and recommend.

Re: The Mustard Pot Great Food Guide

Sunday night I ventured to the Kum Den in Chinatown with some friends.
Steamed Duck with Vegetables and Chinese Mushroom.....fantastic.

Back