The old suburban VFL/AFL grounds

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree that the Fogarty Street end would have the room to fit some temporary seating and they will have to put that in place. There are also some good viewing spots in front the new admin space.

It is however going to be awful if you are stuck in the standing room in the outer, because the ground actually slopes downhill after the fence, so unless you are up against the fence you ain't going to see anything. I also think the standing at the city end would be problematic because of the shallow incline, flat spots and trees meaning that if you are more than three people deep, you will have to bring a milk crate, otherwise you will only have a good view of the back of someone's head.

Despite this, I'm already looking forward to it. Hopefully the AFL schedules an interstate team so that the crowd isn't to chockers. Knowing the AFL they will probably schedule someone like Hawthorn there.
It'll be a challenge, but I feel the club has been planning this for sometime mentioning about "expanding the facilities".

Agreed interstate side would be ideal, but I guess I cant complain. Not everyday we get to play a game at our home.

Real reminder of the atmosphere of the times clubs used to have their own true homeground.

Crowds of twice the size of this now, are sedate in all seated times we live in now.

Last edited:

Hi,

I am planning a bucks party. The theme will be 'Old VFL Grounds' where we will tour the old haunts such as Victoria Park, Lake Oval, Princess Part etc. We plan to take a peek at the oval than head to the nearest pub for a frothy before heading to the next ground.

I want to find the pubs that were most frequented by fans after a win (or loss). This will be the theme of my post once I pass the three-day waiting list to post.

If anyone knows which pubs were notorious pubs for VFL supporters please let me know. So far I have this working list:

So dar I have:

Essendon: The Birckmakers Arm
Fitzroy:
Carlton: The Great Northern
North:
Collingwood: The Carringbush
Richmond: The Royal
Western Bulldogs:

Any help would be much appreciated,
Ross PI

Hi,

I am planning a bucks party. The theme will be 'Old VFL Grounds' where we will tour the old haunts such as Victoria Park, Lake Oval, Princess Part etc. We plan to take a peek at the oval than head to the nearest pub for a frothy before heading to the next ground.

I want to find the pubs that were most frequented by fans after a win (or loss). This will be the theme of my post once I pass the three-day waiting list to post.

If anyone knows which pubs were notorious pubs for VFL supporters please let me know. So far I have this working list:

So dar I have:

Fitzroy:
North:
Western Bulldogs:

Ross PI

There is a thread around here, which I can't seem to find that was solely about pubs near old footy grounds. Garlic muncher has a lot of knowledge about footy pubs near old VFL grounds.

Hi,

So dar I have:

Fitzroy:
North:
Western Bulldogs:

Ross PI
The walls of the London in Richmond and the Napier in Fitzroy are decked out with memorabilia from the teams of their respective suburbs.

Last edited:
Hi,

So dar I have:

Fitzroy:
North:
Western Bulldogs:

Ross PI

Go to Vic Park, then head to the Yarra Hotel on Johnston st, which is with in a 5 minute walk from the ground, leave the Yarra walk towards Nicholson street which is 100 metres away towards the Johnston St bridge about 100 metres into Nicholson St you will find the Retreat Hotel, have a beer and keep walking down Nicholson st for 5 minutes and you will bump into the Carringbush, from the Carringbush walk towards the Yorkshire Stingo which is about 50 metres away on Hoddle st.

4 Great pubs within a 10 minute walk

Yarra hotel Johnston st

1393899_884115638369185_803417086375835432_n.jpg

Retreat Hotel

Retreatgoogle1.jpg

Carringbush Hotel

latest

Yorkshire stingo

latest

To coordinate it check opening times via facebook etc, dont worry about any other grounds, Vic park and the pubs around Collingwood are by far the best.

Fitzroy are OK ;), i also believe there are more pubs in Fitzroy per square KM than anywhere else in Australia

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-22_16-0-2.jpeg
    upload_2017-1-22_16-0-2.jpeg
    9.9 KB · Views: 76
Unfortunately a lot of the good old classic, dingy footy pubs in Abbotsford and Collingwood are total dives now, and not in a good way. I think the Bendigo or the Yarra has smashed windows they didn't fix for months. They aren't appealling because none have been gentrified and a lot are really fundamentally gross, sticky, but expensive. It's a shame.

South Melbourne has great potential, there are so many nice looking pub buildings and facades. Unfortunately they're always dead because people in that area would rather retire inside with a pinot noir with their corgi on a Sunday, or else they're teeming with dickheads at joints like the Star.

The Napier is a ripping shout though. I used to love going there when I lived a few blocks away. It's a nice area to sit outside and have a jug and a (fantastic, huge kangaroo-y) parma at. The staff are quite odd though, I think it's all one family but they have no personality and sometimes make you feel like you're just another customer and a nuisance. No happy hour from memory, or good dinner nights, and nothing is really cheap (think a jug of something decent is around $25).

Unfortunately a lot of the good old classic, dingy footy pubs in Abbotsford and Collingwood are total dives now, and not in a good way. I think the Bendigo or the Yarra has smashed windows they didn't fix for months. They aren't appealling because none have been gentrified and a lot are really fundamentally gross, sticky, but expensive. It's a shame.

South Melbourne has great potential, there are so many nice looking pub buildings and facades. Unfortunately they're always dead because people in that area would rather retire inside with a pinot noir with their corgi on a Sunday, or else they're teeming with dickheads at joints like the Star.

The Napier is a ripping shout though. I used to love going there when I lived a few blocks away. It's a nice area to sit outside and have a jug and a (fantastic, huge kangaroo-y) parma at. The staff are quite odd though, I think it's all one family but they have no personality and sometimes make you feel like you're just another customer and a nuisance. No happy hour from memory, or good dinner nights, and nothing is really cheap (think a jug of something decent is around $25).

Not sure i agree with that, last time i was in Melbourne which was the Collingwood Richmond game last season, i went to three of those pubs the only one i didn't go to was the Retreat Hotel which i went to a couple of years ago, Yorkshire Stingo has a TAB and decent food, admittedly only went to the Carringbush and Yarra for a couple of beers and not a feed but both seemed to be Ok, although during the day.

When last at the Retreat which BTW is Dave Sullivans local from The Sullivans a couple of gay guys owned it and it was pretty well done up, i think it is the perfect pub for a local inside a suburban back street.

Yarra is now much more trendy than when Con owned it a few years ago, in fact it was pretty close to becoming a block of flats a couple of years ago.

Fitzroy pubs are much more trendy and have been for 30 years.

Never dropped into the Bendigo though - think it is a backpackers anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yarra is now much more trendy than when Con owned it a few years ago, in fact it was pretty close to becoming a block of flats a couple of years ago.

Fitzroy pubs are much more trendy and have been for 30 years.

Never dropped into the Bendigo though - think it is a backpackers anyway.

Some real good live music on at the Yarra these days.

Also the Bendigo, along with the Tote just down the road is a key venue for Melbourne's punk/hardcore scene. Johnston Street keeping the music scene kicking along.

Some real good live music on at the Yarra these days.

Also the Bendigo, along with the Tote just down the road is a key venue for Melbourne's punk/hardcore scene. Johnston Street keeping the music scene kicking along.
Ya Ya's at the city end of Smith St is another quality venue for punk.

Ya Ya's is full of hipsters at 2am while they play s**t swing music like it's ironic and danceable and the lights are always way too bright. I used to go there a little a few years ago and I swear it was the worst dancey place to actually dance.

I love a classic, grimey pub but I draw the line when there's never any toilet paper and the door's smashed open permanently - ala The Tote. These places would be vintage or you could get the vibe if they were slinging $7 pints. Instead they charge the same $13 prices as somewhere wanky on Brunswick Street.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ya Ya's is full of hipsters at 2am while they play s**t swing music like it's ironic and danceable and the lights are always way too bright. I used to go there a little a few years ago and I swear it was the worst dancey place to actually dance.
The band room upstairs on specific nights is superb. Downstairs is always deplorable.
The band room doesn't require a massive crowd to fill it so providing a quality, tight knit atmosphere isn't particularly challenging. Perfect for seeing smaller local acts.

The band room upstairs on specific nights is superb. Downstairs is always deplorable.
The band room doesn't require a massive crowd to fill it so providing a quality, tight knit atmosphere isn't particularly challenging. Perfect for seeing smaller local acts.

Agreed. Smaller but similar vibe to the band room at the Curtin.

I love a classic, grimey pub but I draw the line when there's never any toilet paper and the door's smashed open permanently - ala The Tote. These places would be vintage or you could get the vibe if they were slinging $7 pints. Instead they charge the same $13 prices as somewhere wanky on Brunswick Street.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

well i agree with some of that, dropped into the Punters Palace in Collingwood (which is really a old flop house and sells rooms for $120 a week or something and is choc-a-bloc full of old blokes living out there days) for a quick punt and had to go to the toilet which was a big mistake, went to wipe my arse and the bowl nearly tipped over as it was not bolted into the floor - not good o_O

Punters Palace is a beautiful looking building though, not sure what it used to be called in its heyday ?.

1424755041_1125f84f6a_b.jpg

well i agree with some of that, dropped into the Punters Palace in Collingwood (which is really a old flop house and sells rooms for $120 a week or something and is choc-a-bloc full of old blokes living out there days) for a quick punt and had to go to the toilet which was a big mistake, went to wipe my arse and the bowl nearly tipped over as it was not bolted into the floor - not good o_O

Yeah poor old alcos living amongst some real real lowlifes on top of old punnas. Do like it sitting there around the yuppie crap up the rest of the street.

Where is The Heritage Council of Victoria ?.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...r/news-story/26af4d3f7ce6b9a541fe17c79e927b50

Like this comment .....valerie Yes, probably an overseas based development company that will build, using 457 visa subcontractors, ship the profits they make from selling the apartments to overseas investors offshore without paying any tax. Of course the overseas investors will then apply negative gearing to their properties which will probably remain unoccupied. Meanwhile your pub is shut.

Where is The Heritage Council of Victoria ?.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...r/news-story/26af4d3f7ce6b9a541fe17c79e927b50

Like this comment .....valerie Yes, probably an overseas based development company that will build, using 457 visa subcontractors, ship the profits they make from selling the apartments to overseas investors offshore without paying any tax. Of course the overseas investors will then apply negative gearing to their properties which will probably remain unoccupied. Meanwhile your pub is shut.

Does he realise it was a fake irish pub, and i mean a really cheesy fake irish pub?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back