The State of TV Coverage Camerawork

Remove this Banner Ad

Zooming in on the ball travelling towards the goals on a set shot is annoying. You lose so much perspective and can't see the players on the goal line and goal umpire (which provide perspective on depth and accuracy), and have no idea whether the ball is going to sail through for a goal / behind or drop ten metres short.
100% agree with this.

They do the same thing covering golf, zoom in super close on putts going into the hole, so you lose all perspective on break/speed/distance. Does my head in.

Agree with the points about staying zoomed out. AFL is played on bigger fields, with more players involved than other sports. Zooming back gives the the audience more information on the match. It would also make the commentators more important, as the viewer would need their input more on which player has the ball (as that would be harder to see on wide shots).

Zooming in on the ball travelling towards the goals on a set shot is annoying. You lose so much perspective and can't see the players on the goal line and goal umpire (which provide perspective on depth and accuracy), and have no idea whether the ball is going to sail through for a goal / behind or drop ten metres short.
Usually the best information you can get about what a shot is going to do is the goal umpire. Once they zoom in the vision on them is one of the first to disappear

Last edited:

The final siren on Friday night spoke volumes to how 7 treats footy coverage. Newman takes a mark to pretty much put the result beyond doubt and they go to a great reaction of Crippa. After all - he emobides the Carlton story this finals series. A split second later the siren sounds and they stay on Crippa and soak up all his emotion as he collapses to the ground - exhausted and overjoyed.

No they didn't actually. They cut away to the crowd and had to replay Cripps' reaction later. Someone needs to tell them the game is about the players first and foremost. The crowd is secondary.

Disagree enzso.

The worst thing any Director can do at the moment the final siren sounds is isolate a player or coach (or a single person in the stands).

Get the emotion of that instant on multiple players of both teams with the crowd in the background if possible.

Hold that shot for a few seconds then start going for iso shots.

In too many games, particularly Grand Finals, it is clear that the Director has chosen a particular person for their final siren shot and often follow them for some time beforehand even if they are nowhere near the ball.

Annoys the heck out of me.

Disagree enzso.

The worst thing any Director can do at the moment the final siren sounds is isolate a player or coach (or a single person in the stands).

Get the emotion of that instant on multiple players of both teams with the crowd in the background if possible.

Hold that shot for a few seconds then start going for iso shots.

In too many games, particularly Grand Finals, it is clear that the Director has chosen a particular person for their final siren shot and often follow them for some time beforehand even if they are nowhere near the ball.

Annoys the heck out of me.

Absolutely spot on. Could not agree more.

God it was so bad last night
The camera was so tight on the ball that any random bounce or kick going somewhere unexpected was lost. It was truly awful for large periods

Mixed with BT horrific call and the lack of skills on display it made for a really, really long night. If it wasnt a final id have turned it off

The camera was so tight on the ball that any random bounce or kick going somewhere unexpected was lost. It was truly awful for large periods

Mixed with BT horrific call and the lack of skills on display it made for a really, really long night. If it wasnt a final id have turned it off
Agreed, would have been unbearable if there wasn't so much on the line.

Apart from the usual unnecessary close ups, one other thing annoying that happened during the Friday night game was when live play was in a mini screen in the bottom right corner while the main screen was showing a replay.

The first quarter of the second preliminary final was shocking. Starting with the first goal from Matthew Cottrell. He had a long run in towards the goals and then as he is about to kick, 7 switch to a close up of him.

The first quarter of the second preliminary final was shocking. Starting with the first goal from Matthew Cottrell. He had a long run in towards the goals and then as he is about to kick, 7 switch to a close up of him.
You can't see how far he ran if it is a close up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually find this weird.

The 1 - 2 shot style of footy has been around since 1965. Close up on marking contests, ball in hand etc.

With the advent of huge tv's and wide screens, the cameras are more zoomed OUT than ever. Entire passages of play go by with the ball being chipped around and the camera so zoomed out that you can hardly, if at all, see the players' numbers. And even the 'close up' camera is far wider than it used to be. Ever since 7 took back the rights, cameras are way, way zoomed out. Compare, say, the 2011 GF (10) to last year's (7).

If you want zoomed in, look at 7's camerawork in the 90s, when ball-carriers were zoomed right into from cameras in the forward pocket.

Each to their own, but I find the 'viewed through the wrong end of a microscope' style of camerawork too conservative and too boring. I'm not an idiot, I can tell from the regular super, ridiculously wide shots where players are. Can't others? This is not soccer or the NFL.

I actually find this weird.

The 1 - 2 shot style of footy has been around since 1965. Close up on marking contests, ball in hand etc.

With the advent of huge tv's and wide screens, the cameras are more zoomed OUT than ever. Entire passages of play go by with the ball being chipped around and the camera so zoomed out that you can hardly, if at all, see the players' numbers. And even the 'close up' camera is far wider than it used to be. Ever since 7 took back the rights, cameras are way, way zoomed out. Compare, say, the 2011 GF (10) to last year's (7).

If you want zoomed in, look at 7's camerawork in the 90s, when ball-carriers were zoomed right into from cameras in the forward pocket.

Each to their own, but I find the 'viewed through the wrong end of a microscope' style of camerawork too conservative and too boring. I'm not an idiot, I can tell from the regular super, ridiculously wide shots where players are. Can't others? This is not soccer or the NFL.

I’m not sure what games you are watching. I literally just looked up one game highlights and found this clip within 20 seconds. Sicily kicking inside 50 and the coverage gives you absolutely no idea where he may even be kicking to until he’s pulled the kick and the camera pans out - like, why? You can’t be serious saying you enjoy this style of coverage it’s awful

IMG_3730.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back