Toast The 'straya thread

Remove this Banner Ad

From Bill Bryson's brilliant book 'Downunder':

'...I had watched a television documentary about the immigrant experience in the 1950's. One of the people interviewed was a man who had arrived from Hungary as a teenager after the uprising there. On his first full day in the country he had gone as instructed to the local police station and explained in halting English that he was a new immigrant who had been told to register his address. The sergeant had stared at him for a moment, then risen from his seat and come around the desk.

'The Hungarian recalled that for one bewildered moment he thought the policeman might be about to strike him, but instead the sergeant thrust out a meaty hand and said warmly "Welcome to Australia son."

'The Hungarian recalled the incident with wonder even now, and when he finished there were tears in his eyes.'

This is the type of 'straya of which I'm proud.

From Bill Bryson's brilliant book 'Downunder':

'...I had watched a television documentary about the immigrant experience in the 1950's. One of the people interviewed was a man who had arrived from Hungary as a teenager after the uprising there. On his first full day in the country he had gone as instructed to the local police station and explained in halting English that he was a new immigrant who had been told to register his address. The sergeant had stared at him for a moment, then risen from his seat and come around the desk.

'The Hungarian recalled that for one bewildered moment he thought the policeman might be about to strike him, but instead the sergeant thrust out a meaty hand and said warmly "Welcome to Australia son."

'The Hungarian recalled the incident with wonder even now, and when he finished there were tears in his eyes.'

This is the type of 'straya of which I'm proud.
Yep. Great moment in a great book.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back