The Top 10 Greatest post-war SA players (prior to Crows/AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
Name your 10 Greatest SA players since WW2, prior to the introduction of the Adelaide Crows in 1991.

Here's my top 10:

1. Barrie Robran
2. Russell Ebert
3. Malcolm Blight
4. Garry McIntosh
5. John Platten
6. Steve Kernahan
7. Neil Kerley
8. Graham Cornes
9. Michael Aish
10. Peter Carey

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You picked one player from the most successful team and none from the second most!
Dont think much of it at all.

Name your 10 Greatest SA players since WW2, prior to the introduction of the Adelaide Crows in 1991.

Here's my top 10:

1. Barrie Robran
2. Russell Ebert
3. Malcolm Blight
4. Garry McIntosh
5. John Platten
6. Steve Kernahan
7. Neil Kerley
8. Graham Cornes
9. Michael Aish
10. Peter Carey

Thoughts?

What criteria are you using? VFL/SANFL careers or just SANFL?

I will give you 1,2 and 3 without any argument at all. I would , for a personal boyhood fanboy scream put in Paul Bagshaw at 4.

I would not put Cornes or Kerley in. Peter Carey is in mine

Hmm let me think about it more. I think Tim Evans has to be in there along with Greg Phillips. Make Tim 5.

Also just an observation , you asked for the best from 1945 on but only include players who started from 1966 , apart from Kerley. What about Bob Hank and Lindsay Head?

Norwood would have Aish , McIntosh and Gallagher

If I take out Platten, Kernahan,Cornes and Kerley I will slip in Bagshaw , Evans Greg Phillips Lindsay Head

1. Barrie Robran
2. Russell Ebert
3. Malcolm Blight
4. Paul Bagshaw
5.Tim Evans
6. Lindsay Head
7. Garry McIntosh
8. Greg Phillips
9.Michael Aish
10.Peter Carey

Cant comment on players I haven't seen, so will only post players from about 83-84 on.

Russell Ebert
Malcolm Blight
Stephen Kernahan
Andrew Jarman
Scott Hodges
Gary McIntosh
Greg Phillips
Michael Aish
David Marshall

Too hard to select the last, throw a blanket over guys like Naley, Carey, Fielke, Hodgeman.

Cant comment on players I haven't seen, so will only post players from about 83-84 on.

Russell Ebert
Malcolm Blight
Stephen Kernahan
Andrew Jarman
Scott Hodges
Gary McIntosh
Greg Phillips
Michael Aish
David Marshall

Too hard to select the last, throw a blanket over guys like Naley, Carey, Fielke, Hodgeman.

If Kernahan is in Peter Motley would be an absolute certain starter.

Here's my top 10:

1. Barrie Robran
2. Russell Ebert
3. Malcolm Blight
4. Garry McIntosh
5. John Platten
6. Steve Kernahan
7. Neil Kerley
8. Graham Cornes
9. Michael Aish
10. Peter Carey

Thoughts?

Barrie Robran
daylight
Russell Ebert
Malcolm Blight
daylight
Lindsay Head
Stephen Kernahan
John Cahill
Len Fitzgerald
Paul Bagshaw
Don Lindner
Peter Marker

These things are subjective but with due respect to Neil Kerley, he wouldn't be in the top 30 players purely as a footballer. As an inspirational leader it is another matter.

In 1976 Mike Coward and Geoff Kingston listed the 40 greatest SA players of the first century of league footy. Kerley just made the list. Robran, Ebert and Fitzgerald were the first three, Head was around 10, Cahill and Ken Eustice were around 20, Bagshaw was 29 and Don Lindner 30. They were all well in front of Kerley.

Actually I haven't included Bob Hank and Jimmy Deane, but I never saw them play. Fitzie was past his best when I saw him. I desperately wanted to put Eustice in my list. It was a toss up between him and Marker.

With due respect to Aish and McIntosh they are out of their depth compared to the players I have listed.

My memories date back to 1959

I know the thread is post WW2, but Ken Farmers stats are as good as anyones. Averaging 6-7 goals a game, booted a 100 or more in 11 consecutive seasons with a bag of 23. Sadly not too many left who would have seen him play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back