The Travel Thread 🚗 🚢 ✈

Remove this Banner Ad

I think so. Mebby's step mum is Japanese, and she said November would be a good time to go over.

Yeh looks like April may, sept to Nov...

Well you'll have the inside info on Japan then, just looks really amazing place

Plus we love Japanese food :friedshrimp::sake::stew:

Not sure but nearly went this year but heading to San Fran now.

I think April May is good, is November a good time?

Doing the states in September including San Fran (accomodation is insanely expensive in SF) but I love the place.
I have done a lot of travelling with work but are taking my wife for her first trip to the US (after 30 years !!)
Is anyone else doing Airbnb? Suggest you have a look, it can save you thousands on a big trip.

Doing the states in September including San Fran (accomodation is insanely expensive in SF) but I love the place.
I have done a lot of travelling with work but are taking my wife for her first trip to the US (after 30 years !!)
Is anyone else doing Airbnb? Suggest you have a look, it can save you thousands on a big trip.

Yes we are doing Airbnb in August we and leave San Fran 1 sept hire a car and head North.

Our airbnb is in the Noe Valley area bottom of Castro, prob more residential.

Yeh expensive, but oh well it's my first time to San Fran ... Any tips would be appreciated.

We then fly to New Mexico and a week in Santa Fe..

Yes we are doing Airbnb in August we and leave San Fran 1 sept hire a car and head North.

Yeh expensive, but oh well it's my first time to San Fran ... Any tips would be appreciated.

Other than the touristy things (Alcatraz, Bridge, Fishermans Wharf, Cable Cars etc.) would just suggest you immerse yourself in the City. Great food, bars, bakeries. Some places are as steep to get around as they look, if you are planning on walking around a fair bit I don't suggest not doing it in heels !!
If you haven't been to the States before just sit back and enjoy the level of service you get from restaurants etc. says a lot about a tipping culture.
Great choice to do the car thing North, the coastline heading up Fort Bragg way is beautiful. I would say it rivals The Great Ocean Road. Do Napa Valley along the way. Inland some lovely natural forests. Sacramento is pretty meh.. Haven't been to New Mexico so you will have to let me know.
Have you been to New York? Just about my favourite City in the world.

Used Airbnb on my recent trip and would definitely recommend it. Great way to travel IMO.

As for San Fran...brilliant city. Been there twice - most recently last year - and will definitely go back. Could spend a long time there.

Other than the touristy things (Alcatraz, Bridge, Fishermans Wharf, Cable Cars etc.) would just suggest you immerse yourself in the City. Great food, bars, bakeries. Some places are as steep to get around as they look, if you are planning on walking around a fair bit I don't suggest not doing it in heels !!
If you haven't been to the States before just sit back and enjoy the level of service you get from restaurants etc. says a lot about a tipping culture.
Great choice to do the car thing North, the coastline heading up Fort Bragg way is beautiful. I would say it rivals The Great Ocean Road. Do Napa Valley along the way. Inland some lovely natural forests. Sacramento is pretty meh.. Haven't been to New Mexico so you will have to let me know.
Have you been to New York? Just about my favourite City in the world.

Thanks OWWK, good info ... Have been to states before yes NYC and loved it ..

We're back mid sept

Used Airbnb on my recent trip and would definitely recommend it. Great way to travel IMO.

As for San Fran...brilliant city. Been there twice - most recently last year - and will definitely go back. Could spend a long time there.

Highly suggest people looking at the Airbnb option, even if you are not keen on staying at someone else's "house" there are plenty of privately owned resort / condo type deals that you can compare against corporate deals in the same complex.
Definitely an option for people to weigh up. Have used it in the UK / France / Koh Samui and really haven't had any issues whatsoever.

Last edited:
We're heading off on a driving holiday around Europe for 3 months, leaving on Sunday week. Lease a car from Paris Airport and off for around 15000 kms of touristing.

We're using a number of Air BNB's, ordinary B&B's, some hotels and a liberal sprinkling of private rooms in Youth Hostels which is my preferred choice of accommodation.

Just 8 more sleeps.

A lot of people go to Japan around December and January for the skiing and its not that expensive. I would love to go to Japan, a lady I am working with is going in January for a couple of weeks.

No useful tips, Esky, but an observation...

I backpacked around Europe and the US for 6 months in my younger days (honeymoon, actually).

I visited something like 65 cities in my trip. I am a Melb boy, born and raised and San Fran was the only place in my whole trip that felt like home....

* I do remember having chowder down at Pier 39. Almost 11 years ago now, so for me to remember, it must have been good!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

newspaper-simpsons.png

Have to admit I'm feeling a little uneasy about France at the moment. Think I'll need lots of neck massages when I return, it'll get lots of exercise just looking behind me.

Have to admit I'm feeling a little uneasy about France at the moment. Think I'll need lots of neck massages when I return, it'll get lots of exercise just looking behind me.

You'll be right mate. I was in Paris right after the Bataclan attacks and in Brussels about a week after the attacks there. Not worth worrying about IMO

Robbo, Mrs Robbo and his big sister are a little sad tonight. Our boy and brother is off on his second big adventure this year. He flys out tomorrow. This time he'll be gone for more than three months travelling to Canada and the USA. To start with he's going to Vancouver via LA. We'll miss him. Damn Carlton. He would have stayed a little longer but we fell off the cliff pretty quickly after 6 & 5.

Glad I read that comment.

We've just booked with two-weeks in Mexico City and one week in San Francisco, researching the accommodation options in SanFran was a complete nightmare.

Even the flea-pits cost a bomb.

Think we've now found a compromise between ridiculously expensive upmarket and doss-houses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back