The war against renewable energy

Remove this Banner Ad

Only the badge logo has anything remotely to do with the British MGs
They are Chinese made which isn't necessarily a bad thing (except for the human rights abuses in the factory and stealing customer's info) they are the worst quality Chinese built - according to a UK review, whilst other Chiense made cars continue to improve, 35% break down of MGs in the first year

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Australian carbuyers have gone from one of these for dad /family tranport
holden-vt-commodore-3g.jpg

and this for mum to drive to work/school/shops.
( in my case my wife had the large SUV, and i had the small commuter, suited us both ).

OIP.Jtq041Re3RNjGgJPcJlBMwHaEb

Fast forward to today and we have :

This for dad.

OIP.b0JOQVv1XMK0PmfdRKcYwgHaDt

And this for mum.

OIP.4GmpDLOJh3UNo3nsZqG5gAHaEK

Why are MG's outselling Toyota Corolla's? Because Toyota's are more expensive. Also they perceive that an "SUV " has more room, even though its probably no more than a jacked up Corolla.

I'd suspect that those buying Tesla's are the ones who used to buy BMW 3 series or Mercedes A Class.
Those who can afford image. In Melbourne most probably don't go as far east as Dandenong, or further West than Flemington. They probably buy cars more often than those in the "wish i could afford a new Toyota this year demographic "

The hard part will be convincing those who absolutely "need" a twin cab ute for their daily drive to work, and the shops , and the pub, to go electric. Logic won't necessarily come into it.

As cheaper electrics become more widely available, "mums car" might go electric , but it will take a long time to replace the Ranger IMO. ( unless they are forced ).

When these EV monster trucks are loaded with new tech batteries that will give them the towing and range needed … IMO in the next 1-3 years we will see them…. Theyll revolutionise the Tradies and the recreational markets…
The tradies are going to love them…they’ll save them money and time…

When these EV monster trucks are loaded with new tech batteries that will give them the towing and range needed … IMO in the next 1-3 years we will see them…. Theyll revolutionise the Tradies and the recreational markets…
The tradies are going to love them…they’ll save them money and time…

How will they save them time?

When "tradies" are buying a big 4wd with 4 doors, a winch , a roll cage and a snorkle, its not a business decision.
Its going to be a hard demographic to convince. People who wanted a V8 Commodore have moved on to 4WD's.

We need to see the vehicles before they buy them too. At the

This is all you need for ( most )business.

car_hilux.jpg

As for what's available now.

The range of 300km would not be great for a lot of tradies, and you could lose a lot of it if you loaded it up.

Not to mention you get an LDV for the price of a Ford Raptor.

They could probably partly charge it at a building site, though some building sites may only have diesel generators for electricity.

How will they save them time?
No fuel stops.. cordless tools getting charged in the back, fridge for lunch..

As for what's available now.

Option are in the pipe works..

The range of 300km would not be great for a lot of tradies, and you could lose a lot of it if you loaded it up.

The New batteries will give them much longer range… most tradies would struggle to do 600km a week.

The reason why we have so many large utes for family cars is tax concessions… EV ties will be afforded the same benefits.

The New batteries will give them much longer range… most tradies would struggle to do 600km a week.

The reason why we have so many large utes for family cars is tax concessions… EV ties will be afforded the same benefits.

No fuel stops, that's just silly. Petrol/Diesel stops take less time than buying lunch. Chalk and cheese compared to charging batteries.
If they struggle to do 600km a week its not a lot of fuel stops is there? Fridges and things are just as available now with batteries. You constantly make things up. ( Surely an esky works as good as a fridge for a day at work )? I agree that global warming needs to stop, but i don't agree with your narrative, its all good, all just happening, and embellishing the solutions that exist. I don't think that helps anyone.

Yes , they will not buy a electric ute, because a good ones "gunna " be there one day.

I don't buy that they don't travel much. Its a long time since i did electrician work experience, and its true, they can be on a building site for the day. They can also be on the road travelling from small job to small job, and those can be 50km apart.

No fuel stops, that's just silly. Petrol/Diesel stops take less time than buying lunch. Chalk and cheese compared to charging batteries.
If they struggle to do 600km a week its not a lot of fuel stops is there? Fridges and things are just as available now with batteries. You constantly make things up. ( Surely an esky works as good as a fridge for a day at work )? I agree that global warming needs to stop, but i don't agree with your narrative, its all good, all just happening, and embellishing the solutions that exist. I don't think that helps anyone.

Yes , they will not buy a electric ute, because a good ones "gunna " be there one day.

I don't buy that they don't travel much. Its a long time since i did electrician work experience, and its true, they can be on a building site for the day. They can also be on the road travelling from small job to small job, and those can be 50km apart.

You stick with the horse and cart… 😁👍 the future is electric.

Utes could carry extra batteries……like they sometimes carry extra fuel now.mits the most ideal vehicle to have variable range

We have more renewables now than we can use … that’s why the spot price where I am was negative most of the morning…

They’ll help fix the grid… make homes black out protected … and bring down the price of electricity.

Some EV Batteries that are about to go into production will have a life expectancy longer than the
car… which means V2H capabilities is going to be a massive part of the EVs and the future.

Plug in at work during with power your employer is being paid to consume. Maybe cbd car parks can offer free parking to plugged in EVs
Take it home and power your home

Utes could carry extra batteries……like they sometimes carry extra fuel now.mits the most ideal vehicle to have variable range

That relies on the development of the lighter batteries.
At the moment , if you try to load up your ute with extra batteries, it reduces the load limit of your ute too much, and you don't get twice as much range with twice as much battery, because of the extra weight.

In Europe they have these.

They seem a pretty good idea, and you can rent them for a trip.
I though it would be neat if you could incorporate them in a normal trailer for storage of items for going camping/holidays etc, but i think the battery trailer goes close to the towing weight limit for most electric cars.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See you're waving the flag rather than thinking about things.

Duhhh i'll buy an lectric car now cos they be good in a few years time.

I’m showing what the future will look like… and it’s not that far away.. the development in battery tech is happening now … 1000 kilometer range batteries are being produced..
Exiting times.

Which one is correct

Which one is correct

That first article is odd, its worked out in MWh per person, how does that work with Industrial needs? Its not all just about how much our population is.

Australia currently use more than 189 000GwH per year but 30% is already renewable.

It makes a lot more sense to take empirical values from existing Solar "farms" than it does to make a heap of grass roots assumptions.

Western Down Solar farm is on 15 square km and is expected to produce 1080 GwH.
1830 sq km of Solar would replace our current 132 000 GWH of fossel fuel generation.( 122 solar farms the size of Western Down ).

I'm not sure why i get more than the author, it will take me a while to go through his calculations.

We'd probably need another 20% or so to provide electricity for an electric vehicle fleet.
Possibly another 40% or so to provide electricity for our Truck fleet. ( whether its hydrogen or what, the energy still needs to come from somewhere ).

200 Farms the size of Western Downs should do nicely.

BUT : That's worked out on averages. We will generate a lot more electricity during a week of sunshine, than on a week of cloud cover. So if your Solar installation averages 20% output, you might only be getting 10% during overcast periods. That's why we need to build more, and why we need both solar and wind.

400 Farms the size of Western Downs? I still don't see land use as being the biggest obstacle.

Truck drivers are loving these

800km range … with fast charging…
2 year payback on fuel and servicing savings…

Truck drivers are loving these

800km range … with fast charging…
2 year payback on fuel and servicing savings…

If i wanted an electric semi, i'd be going for an ( Existing) Volvo before the Tesla. Daimler's ( Freightliner ) are also fairly popular.
Tesla really don't have experience with trucks and they seem to be losing the plot lately.

Tesla constantly lie to their shareholders, particularly regarding production release dates.

Coal will dead with in 10 years…

The electric viking? Best source no doubt.

You guys still haven't done the maths.
Sure an electric car is better than an ICE, it's still more added emissions that the atmosphere can't afford. Sure a solar panel is better than than coal plant, it's still more added emissions that the atmosphere can't afford etc etc

We have to stop doing things, not replace them with some slightly more efficient processes

This is end game though and nothing you personally can do will change things so carry on I guess

Sure an electric car is better than an ICE, it's still more added emissions that the atmosphere can't afford. Sure a solar panel is better than than coal plant, it's still more added emissions that the atmosphere can't afford etc etc

We have to stop doing things, not replace them with some slightly more efficient processes

This is end game though and nothing you personally can do will change things so carry on I guess

We stopped doing a lot if things in lockdown. That wasn’t sustainable either

When renewables are producing renewables, where are the emissions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back