Sydneyfan

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2000
Brisbanópolis
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S’roos, Brisbane Lions, N Syd Bears
Amongst all the varying articles I've read over the last day and a half about the Socceroos, their loss and their future; I came across a letter to the editor in today's Daily Telegraph (Sydney's equivalent of the Herald Sun) and the guy was mentioning Zelic and the failure of all parties involved to resolve this lingering issue and try to get him back in the team.

In the letter, the guy said how he was disappointed that the parties involved (namely Zelic, Farina and Okon) couldn't come to a compromise in which Zelic would have stayed with Australia. He stated how Zelic would have offered a lot to the side (being a class player that he is) could have played sweeper while Okon stayed in the midfield or vice versa to add another dimension to the squad. The guy criticised our backline during the recent series where we played four down back instead of having a backline plus a dedicated sweeper.

Zelic seems to have an ego problem and it seems that quite a few Australian players don't get on with him that well but he is a good player, and to make the World Cup we need all the best players available and can't afford to be too selective. On the other hand, having Zelic may have been damaging to the team spirit and comeraderie.

It's a tough call, but do you believe that it would have been better if Zelic had been with the Aussies during this campaign and that more should have been done to ensure that he stayed on with the Aussies?, Or do you believe that Zelic has made his decision not to play with Australia for the time being at least and we can do without arrogant players who think they're above their country?

It's tough, but at the moment it seemed that having Zelic in the lineup would have destabilised the comeraderie, though I think that effort should be made in the future to try and resolve this problem, after all our main aim is always for Australia to achieve its best but in order to do that we need to select our best players.

Zelic world class? He was good, but I don't really see how he could have made much difference to our campaign. Okon is better anyway.

I must admit I haven't paid all that much attention to him over the last couple of years since he had the spat with Farina. Apparently he's been a good player for his club, 1860 Munich, but then again they're not a huge club and the Bundesliga is not as good as the Serie A or Premier League, and Okon's had experience in both of those leagues!

He is a good player though and I'm sure if it wasn't for his spat he'd be somewhere in the lineup if not definitely in the squad.

Zelic is a class player, maybe not world class though. I would like to see Okon and Zelic together in midfield. It would release Okon a little, he could be more creative while Zelic could be a ball winner. Josip Skoko was a weak link in midfield, he rarely won disputed balls and he offered very little offensively. IMHO Zelic would be a great replacement for Skoko but it's not going to happen.

Marco Bresciano is the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back