Food, Drink & Dining Out Thermomix

Remove this Banner Ad

I have one and absolutely love it. There's lots of good blogs out there - quirky cooking, Tenina and Steph Berg (google search them - they should all come up). Best $2000 I've ever spent!

I have one and absolutely love it. There's lots of good blogs out there - quirky cooking, Tenina and Steph Berg (google search them - they should all come up). Best $2000 I've ever spent!

Cheers for that, I understand that people say it reduces your cooking time but i seem to find myself cooking more, so i am in the kitchen a lot more, my freezer is pretty full right now. Great kitchen toy though!

http://www.thermomix.com.au/

So I recently bought a thermomix, the device that can apparently do everything. Now I am starting to learn how to use it and experimenting with different recipes. Anyone else got one, got favourite recipes?

My sister bought one, and uses it religiously.

Thing is, the Thermomix still hasn't taught her how to cook properly. She even steams a chicken in the Thermomix.

At best, I think the Thermomix is good for soups and chopping up stuff. Not worth $2k.

My sister bought one, and uses it religiously.

Thing is, the Thermomix still hasn't taught her how to cook properly. She even steams a chicken in the Thermomix.

At best, I think the Thermomix is good for soups and chopping up stuff. Not worth $2k.

It ends the need to ever buy any premixed sauces or packets at the supermarket as you can make your own and know exactly what is in them. It has significantly decreased the amount of processed food we buy and significantly increased the amount of fresh food that we buy.

Easiest way to cook up a storm with leftover ingredients in the fridge! Just google whatever you have plus "Thermomix" and away you go.
There so good the company I work for is putting one in every house we build and all of our new designs have now come out with Thermomix kitchens from now on!

It ends the need to ever buy any premixed sauces or packets at the supermarket as you can make your own and know exactly what is in them. It has significantly decreased the amount of processed food we buy and significantly increased the amount of fresh food that we buy.

Fair enough, that is what a lot of the TM community say too. But why do you need a Thermomix to make your own sauces or cook with fresh food? A stove, saucepan, blender/food processor can already be used to do those things, and you have a lot more control over the cooking process.

I still don't see any additional benefit to my existing kitchen equipment/cooking capability to justify $2,000 (plus more if you short circuit the jug).

Fair enough, that is what a lot of the TM community say too. But why do you need a Thermomix to make your own sauces or cook with fresh food? A stove, saucepan, blender/food processor can already be used to do those things, and you have a lot more control over the cooking process.

I still don't see any additional benefit to my existing kitchen equipment/cooking capability to justify $2,000 (plus more if you short circuit the jug).

Because it takes the place of the stove and the saucepan and the blender and its faster and more convenient and it is easier to clean. Add ingredients, press buttons, walk away.

We bought a thermomix about a year ago and now my wife is a consultant and training to be a branch manager, it is an awesome device that has allowed our whole family to enjoy cooking, our kids can help cook meals without fear of hurting themselves on stove tops or with knives, we eat healthier foods than before and are reducing the amount of preservatives and other nasties in our diet and we are are saving money too. Yes it costs a lot but over time you end up saving by doing stuff yourself like grating cheeses, making caster and icing sugar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure they are brilliant but the idea of a $2,000 cake mixer just does not process in my brain.:D

lol, yeah if you think it is simply a cake mixer then you have been completely misinformed about it. There's no point me rattling on about what it does as your response implies you aren't interested in it and thats fair enough as 2k is heaps. But since we've had the thermo we rarely you our stove top as the device does most things. It's only if i want a steak that have to get a fry pan out and i only use the oven to do a roast and to bake the goods the thermy has made. It can't be a bad device if George Colombaris has one in every restaurant he owns and Adrian zumbo uses them too.

Yeah, I get that it cooks stuff too (hence the thermo part), but it still looks like a cake mixer.

I see it as a more advanced breadmaker really. It's pretty amazing what you can do with one little self contained machine, but it sorta takes the human element out of cooking.

Yeah, I get that it cooks stuff too (hence the thermo part), but it still looks like a cake mixer.

I see it as a more advanced breadmaker really. It's pretty amazing what you can do with one little self contained machine, but it sorta takes the human element out of cooking.

Yeah you're right and that came up with someone the other day who said they actually enjoy the cooking side of things, eg the stirring etc etc. Its not for everyone, most of the people my wife has sold too are families who have special needs like gluten free or preservative free, this machine allows you to cook things that you know exactly what you are putting into it. .We like it because you can throw all the ingredients in then walk away while it cooks, that gives us time to help the kids with homework or do a load of washing.

It is definitely an advanced breadmaker as it makes bread in half the time a breadmaker does

Yeah you're right and that came up with someone the other day who said they actually enjoy the cooking side of things, eg the stirring etc etc. Its not for everyone, most of the people my wife has sold too are families who have special needs like gluten free or preservative free, this machine allows you to cook things that you know exactly what you are putting into it. .We like it because you can throw all the ingredients in then walk away while it cooks, that gives us time to help the kids with homework or do a load of washing.

It is definitely an advanced breadmaker as it makes bread in half the time a breadmaker does

They are convenient no doubt, just like we use electric mixers, blenders etc. rather than doing every task by hand. It's nice to be able to prepare tasty, healthy meals without needing to spend hours (which you often don't have) doing so - with or without a Thermomix. I used to find it funny when someone would have delicious 'home made' bread which came from tipping flour and yeast into a machine and pushing the go button. Thermomix is a bit the same, IMO. That being said I'm just making conversation. I'd eat anything delicious whether it took 10 hours to prepare or 10 minutes.:)

On the bolded bit can you not do that with a chopping board, pots and pans?

They are convenient no doubt, just like we use electric mixers, blenders etc. rather than doing every task by hand. It's nice to be able to prepare tasty, healthy meals without needing to spend hours (which you often don't have) doing so - with or without a Thermomix. I used to find it funny when someone would have delicious 'home made' bread which came from tipping flour and yeast into a machine and pushing the go button. Thermomix is a bit the same, IMO. That being said I'm just making conversation. I'd eat anything delicious whether it took 10 hours to prepare or 10 minutes.:)

On the bolded bit can you not do that with a chopping board, pots and pans?

There's nothing the thermomix can do that you can't do by hand, it's just that it does it quicker and efficiently.Can you grate a kilo of cheese in 10 seconds? Can you cook a risotto in 15 minutes without have to stand at the stove and constantly stir it? I think most people that I know that have bought one appreciate the time it saves them not just from the preparation side of things but the washing up due to less dishes etc. I think George from Masterchef was quoted as saying that a thermomix basically replaces the need for him to have an apprentice as it does things so efficiently. Although i'd still rather people be employed than losing their jobs to a machine.

The thermomix can also be used to make washing detergents which end up being alot cheaper to make than to buy, facial creams, so it is not just a cooking device. Unfortunately my wife hasn't let me mix two stroke or tumble rocks in ours just yet :p

My friend has one and uses it all the time. She buys wheat to make flour and things like that. If you're interested in nutrition and want to move away from processed food (or foods you have no idea how they've been processed) then they're great and worth 2k.

At this stage a food processor and blender is ok for me.

The thermomix can also be used to make washing detergents which end up being alot cheaper to make than to buy, facial creams, so it is not just a cooking device. Unfortunately my wife hasn't let me mix two stroke or tumble rocks in ours just yet :p

My wife makes washing powder in ours and she reckons she's saved a bomb in detergent. One of the beauties about it is I get the text "what for dinner?" and I know I can suggest anything, she will google that dish plus thermo and I come home that night and its there!

I still love my traditional cooking mind you but for day to day, two working parents, it's a godsend!

http://www.domesticdivaunleashed.com/washing-powder-and-gel-in-the-thermomix

1 Sunlight (or pure) soap, roughly chopped
1/2 bar of Sard (or stain removing) soap, roughly chopped
200g Borax
315g Washing Soda (powder)

Considering you can get 1.5kg of Omo for $10 at Woolworths this week which is far from the cheapest way of buying washing powder how much money can you really save making your own?

My friend makes her own cleaning soaps etc. Pretty sure her motivation comes from a passion to live sustainably more than cost cutting.

My friend makes her own cleaning soaps etc. Pretty sure her motivation comes from a passion to live sustainably more than cost cutting.

This I agree with.

Thermomix's are clearly fantastic bits of kit, but I think the fanbois go out of their way to justify how good they are.

A bit like breadmakers, really. You don't save money owning a breadmaker unless you bake 10 loaves a week and your ingredients are free, and they don't do anything you can't do with the stuff you already have in your kitchen - they just make making bread at home more convenient, and when you make your own you can control the ingredients etc.

If they genuinely get people eating healthier, preparing their own food etc. then the govt. should issue every household with one. $2k x what, 10m households = $20b. Would save that amount in health spending in no time... :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back