Thoughts people??

Remove this Banner Ad

POKsPies252

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hi Guys/girls

I am a 16 year old male looking to gain fitness and and lose weight. I focus mainly on cricket and am currently in the under 17 Tasmanian state Squad (Previously played under 15's). I also love my footy, tennis and pretty much all sports. Problem is throughout my whole childhood I've always been on the 'bigger' side in terms of body size. I currently weigh 110kg and am 182cm tall and although that sounds pretty bad I do see myself as somewhat strong and fit.

I've been going to the gym for about a year and a half now all the while taking a mixture of whey protein shakes and protein bars. I was at my strongest/fittest about this time last year, I was at about 100kg and managed to get a 12.6 on the beep test which for a 15 year old I thought was pretty good.

My main problem is my inconsistency though and bad habits. For example I regularly find myself motivated and going to the gym every day for two weeks but then lose motivation and find myself not going for a whole week/week and a half. There's not really much point of going if I then spend a fair amount of time without going. There is also no doubt that I struggle from having unhealthy snacks whilst I'm bored at home which is a really bad habit.

I said earlier that I see myself as somewhat strong and fit but if there was doubt before, there is no doubt now that i need to lose weight/fat after doing skin fold testing earlier in the week for cricket. I've had a look around at a few different threads but am not really sure what type of diet and weights training I should be doing. Ideally I am looking to get defined muscles whilst gaining aerobic fitness. I currently have a leg injury but am still able to leg weights and bike ride, basically do everything but run for a long period. If i feel motivated I go to the gym six days a week, these days are divided into Back/Biceps day (x2), Chest, Shoulders, triceps day (x2), Leg day (X2). I haven't done any aerobic stuff for a while up until the last couple of gym sessions where I've decided to do 10km on the bike. I also a 15-20 core session at home three times a week.

Basically I don't think I need to change what i do at the gym to much it's more about maintaining motivation as well as finding a diet that suits and preventing the intake of unhealthy snacks during boredom.

Can anyone give me an idea of how I can do this?

Thanks

For a 15yr old you've got the right mindset. Now you just need to reach out and connect with the right people.

This may mean getting support from people on here, in addition to professional opinion (eg. dietitian / development coaches / etc). Professional opinion is a must though if you're planning on taking that next step. Better to invest now whilst you're young. :thumbsu:

I focus mainly on cricket and am currently in the under 17 Tasmanian state Squad (Previously played under 15's).

What resources do you have access to being in the state cricket team? I'm sure there'd be someone that would be able to provide a professional opinion as Colin D'Cops was talking about.

Good luck.

Nothing to say on the weight management, but if your goal is sports performance I would ditch the body part split training in favour of either full body or upper/lower

Nothing to say on the weight management, but if your goal is sports performance I would ditch the body part split training in favour of either full body or upper/lower

Yeah Crossfit/ commando style training is more conditioning for sport rather than visiting a gym, would only visit a gym to do power sessions, compound movements ie: dead lifts , squats, clean n press, dips, chin ups etc...

They say that weightloss is 20% exercise 80% nutrition.

I was in a similar boat to you as a kid. I was always slightly overweight. But I found I was very active. Played sport nearly everyday so I could not understand why I was overweight.

2 years ago I started to focus on the nutrition aspect of my lifestyle as my physical activity was more than adequate. Since I have been eating better and making better food decisions, I have lost 40kgs.

They also say that you can't outrun a bad diet. So basically if you go to the gym 6 days a week, but still eat the same foods then really you are wasting your time because you will see no changes.

I suggest doing an overhaul of your diet, because to me it seems like you are exercising regularly. Perhaps if you aren't confident in doing this yourself, speak to a dietician or even just a trainer at your gym. It can be the most confusing aspect of weightloss. When I was in my teenage years I had no idea what the difference was between good carbs and bad carbs. I didn't realise that eating stacks of potato every night wasn't helping my weight. I just assumed it was a veggie so I was fine. Or that eating a big bowl of pasta for dinner is not going to help me keep the weight off. I just assumed that as long as it wasn't take away every night then I was fine. So don't be afraid to ask people for advice if you need it!

Good luck :)

+1 to above, have a look at your diet you seem to be pretty active already.

Especially sugars, things like soft drink, fruit juices etc are easy to guzzle down without realising how fattening they can be

and switching any high-gi foods to lower-gi alternatives to control blood sugar levels better which can cause food cravings

Remove this Banner Ad

Back