Toby McLean

Kennel Master

All Australian
Sep 8, 2003
East Fremantle
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just thought he deserves a thread. Very bad luck for Toby. We will miss him.

He is an impact player who plays well in finals. He kicks goals, draws free kicks, and is tough in and under.

His final series in 2016 was outstanding. His last few minutes when we beat GWS was match winning.

He cleared stoppages, won a free kick and was brave and calm under pressure.

His recent form has been excellent. Hopefully he will come back even better.

Please post your thoughts and wishes for Toby.

KM

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Good call KM. Love watching Toby play, does all the hard inside stuff but also has a bit of x-factor. Stands up when it matters most. Hopefully it's not as bad as it looked, but if so look forward to a big 2022.

bullish23

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2002
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Really wish the kid well in recovery. Bevo touched on the press conference, it wasn’t easy for him to get where he has.

I think he’s fairly resilient, so I am confident he will be back. But rotten luck at any time, particularly how it happened. I really liked how all the team got around him. I am sure Libba and Wallis will make sure he is going ok.

Dogforever

Senior List
Oct 26, 2018
Lorne Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Toby will be a big loss at this time of the year. He has been in good form and can take on a number of roles.He also has lots of courage and is underrated by many BF contributors.I hope he recovers well and remains a good Bulldog.

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
It's such a shame that his form has been on the upswing over the last month and he's found a role as a stopper and now all that momentum is gone. Hopefully the club backs him up and helps him recover next season so that he can make a grand return in 2022.

He's always been a tough player, keen to put his head over it to win the ball for his team, but I though the last month or so he started playing with a real hard edge about him. He had started looking to impose himself physically on the other team. Using his strength to really move opponents out of the way or just be a strong presence around the ball.

Really big shame about the injury, terrible timing. Wish him the best in his recovery, pretty confident he'll come back as a really good player.

Glaeken Oracle

Club Legend
Dec 3, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Pissed off tbh. Toby can play multiple roles, plus not sure who else can do the run-with role as well, part from Liber, who is in far too good form to use in that role. Hopefully Toby is back in 12 months to play in the back-to-back win. That uncoordinated lumbering idiot Ceglar should be charged, fined, suspended, jailed and ******ed.

Hope you’re ok Toby, I’m confident you’ll be back at your best - if not in 2021, then for a big year in 2022. Stay strong, you Bullgod.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Horrible for any footy player and he was starting to find form also.

Timing couldn’t have been worse not only for finals & next season but just after seemingly cementing a new role in the side. He’s got the right people around the club to help with rehab and hopefully come back as good as condition as possible.

On the bright side under the circumstances, the cuts he will be able to give the rest of the boys over the next year or so will be lit AF 🔥 💈

Really wish the kid well in recovery. Bevo touched on the press conference, it wasn’t easy for him to get where he has.

I think he’s fairly resilient, so I am confident he will be back. But rotten luck at any time, particularly how it happened. I really liked how all the team got around him. I am sure Libba and Wallis will make sure he is going ok.
Tom has apparently offered support and advice already which I’m sure will be ongoing. Who better than Tom?

Good luck in rehab, Toby, we all look forward to your return, just in time to help us win the 2021 flag! :)

Toby's always been one of my favourites, ever since we drafted him (the hanger in his draft year helped, as did the fact that he never smiled in his press photos). He never steps back from a contest, and often manages to find another gear when we need it (his 2016 prelim final quarter was incredible, and went under the radar at the time). This is *en gutting, but when he's back he'll be fighting even harder I reckon.

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
Favourite player to my daughter, Toby will be dearly missed until he is back fully fit. Love the kid. Has a lion's heart and always does the right thing. Very unlucky, but hopefully he is back by mid-season, fully fit and full of fire. Go McLean. and if Lipinski replaces him, you better grow some balls to match your skills Monica!

Back