Tom Boyd

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok with the shock announcement today of Boyd announcing he wants to move to the dogs I thought I'd start a thread for us (and maybe other posters) about tom.

How do we feel about a number 1 pick announcing he wants to move after one year? Personally I'm pretty pissed off about the sense of entitlement from a first year player....

How much does it hurt/cost the club?

What is he worth?

Let's keep it all here
The red bit. Sets an unbelievable precedence, that I'm sure others will soon follow. Regardless of what I think about a Griffen and Boyd exchange, I think that Boyds announcement will send shivers through the AFL bosses.

Going to be a fascinating couple of years, and in turn, will be interesting to see how the AFL deal with this sort of rot.

If he doesnt want to be with us piss him off and get the players who do. no point wasting time and effort developing him if he is set on leaving
His manager is a proven POS and the club would do well never to deal with him or his clients again
Im more upset about losing Giles

my 2c

If he doesnt want to be with us piss him off and get the players who do. no point wasting time and effort developing him if he is set on leaving
His manager is a proven POS and the club would do well never to deal with him or his clients again
Im more upset about losing Giles

my 2c

This is exactly why the Boyd - Griffen + steak knifes trade makes sense

I'm amazed doggies supporters can't see how reactive their leaders are... A real obstacle to any sort of future success. On top of that, their leader acting like he was negotiating a straight trade - boyd for griffin - made him look like an absolute nuffy. If Tom boyd feels 'homesick' and wants to go and play with his mates under this rabble of a leadership group then all the best to him.

I'm amazed doggies supporters can't see how reactive their leaders are... A real obstacle to any sort of future success. On top of that, their leader acting like he was negotiating a straight trade - boyd for griffin - made him look like an absolute nuffy. If Tom boyd feels 'homesick' and wants to go and play with his mates under this rabble of a leadership group then all the best to him.

The irony of that of course being that you are clambering for the guy who is responsible for a decent portion of this 'rabble'

The irony of that of course being that you are clambering for the guy who is responsible for a decent portion of this 'rabble'
No irony... He is one of the senior players who was dissatisfied with the coach and told the bosses as much. Didn't your president praise him for being 'courageous' for doing this? Oh yeah... That's right, he didn't at first... But he back flipped and then he decided to sack the coach. You should be asking yourself... Why didn't your club get tom Boyd before your coach was sacked and your senior players walked out? Can't you see how his behaviour smacks of desperation?

Chief Executive David Matthews said: "...we look forward to welcoming Tom back to training next month..."

Choose which option best ends the statement:

a) whether he likes it or not
b) with egg all over his face
c) to face the music from his team mates
d) all of the above

I just hope common sense prevails, neither club holds a player against their will and does what's best by them & for themselves.

Griffen says he wants to leave, nominates his destination, Bulldogs say he's a required player, GWS fans laugh in their faces & the club commits to making the deal happen.

Boyd says he wants to leave, nominates his destination, GWS says he's a required player, GWS fans in uproar at being the victim & the club says a trade will only happen on a cold day in hell.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS hold the doggies leadership in their hands, If GWS dont trade for Griffen that leaves Collingwood St Kilda or Melbourne as the other options and they wont offer what the doggies want and Griffen cant stay on the list otherwise it makes the leadership look inept, Doggies better start sucking up to GWS big time....

Yeah, the Dogs have this tendency of reneging on verbal deals made with KPFs if they get hurt.
That's true, but understandable. Absolute travesty for the young man. I rate him as a star, I'd love to have him. But possession is 9/10ths and I hope he comes back from his knee.

I'm not here to be a pain in the arse, and I understand the posturing and the position Dave Matthews is taking, but I can't see anyone winning out of this. Clearly you would like Griffen, and he's a very good player. But, more importantly, it's key for your club to land a really good player to show that you are a club that has pulling power outside financial incentives. The upshot of that is far bigger than the loss of Boyd IMO.

I have a friend who plays at your club and unlike many on my board, I'm not a GWS hater. I'm more disappointed in the actions of Griffen than the actions of GWS, but that's for another time.

I would hope that sense prevails, the deal is done in whatever guise and we move on. However Matthews' statement makes that very difficult now.

No irony... He is one of the senior players who was dissatisfied with the coach and told the bosses as much. Didn't your president praise him for being 'courageous' for doing this? Oh yeah... That's right, he didn't at first... But he back flipped and then he decided to sack the coach. You should be asking yourself... Why didn't your club get tom Boyd before your coach was sacked and your senior players walked out? Can't you see how his behaviour smacks of desperation?

Because the original intention was for Boyd to be traded for at the end of his contract next year. Now that GWS have gone after Griffen, our list management guys have decided to move forward in the hope that an exchange could be made.

IanW said:
Yeah, the Dogs have this tendency of reneging on verbal deals made with KPFs if they get hurt.

So if you don't get Griffen now and he does a serious injury playing for the Dogs during the next year, you'd still be picking him up with the knowledge that he'll miss significant time? Good to know.

Last edited:
I just hope common sense prevails, neither club holds a player against their will and does what's best by them & for themselves.

Griffen says he wants to leave, nominates his destination, Bulldogs say he's a required player, GWS fans laugh in their faces & the club commits to making the deal happen.

Boyd says he wants to leave, nominates his destination, GWS says he's a required player, GWS fans in uproar at being the victim & the club says a trade will only happen on a cold day in hell.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

You missed the part where WB tried to bend GWS over the table for the Griffen trade. O wait, you're still doing that. The sad thing is that the majority of your supporters know that this trade won't go through, but are still happy about the rumour because it makes your club feel relevant.

When you say you hope common sense prevails, you actually mean you hope that you get a bullshit trade that GWS isn't happy with. Just merge already, it's only a matter of time.

Thing that s#its me about this whole "never liked Western Sydney, never settled" line is the effect/reflection (unintended or not) on the Lamberts. Craig would often tweet pictures of the boys (including Tom) round at his house, looking like they were enjoying things. Being made to feel at home.

Slap in the face for Craig and Mel - one in which they in no possible way could have deserved.
I feel as though they may have been aware of the way people within the team felt about Tom, and also about his desires to head home. From what I understand, he's a good kid - but the warning signs were there from the get-go and the club knew they'd be hard pressed to hang onto him.

The club knew he would bolt, but also knew his value - so they made the move to trade up and grab the man they really wanted (Kelly), they chose to corner the KPF market, knowing teams like St. Kilda, Carlton and the Doggies would circle.

We have to play this the same way that GC played the Caddy situation, if anybody legitimately believes that Boyd is going to the PSD, they're having an absolute laugh and probably need to step away from the computer. Our club knows what they're doing.

Some other clubs, however....

You missed the part where WB tried to bend GWS over the table for the Griffen trade. O wait, you're still doing that. The sad thing is that the majority of your supporters know that this trade won't go through, but are still happy about the rumour because it makes your club feel relevant.

When you say you hope common sense prevails, you actually mean you hope that you get a bullshit trade that GWS isn't happy with. Just merge already, it's only a matter of time.

Not sure why my reply was deleted but whatever.

We didn't tap up another clubs captain for 6 months & then announce he wanted a move before his own club to break the news. Do you really think that we should bow down to GWS for dragging our club through the mud to get Griffen?? I can't see how we are trying to bend them over. There will need to be something else involved (hence the term steak knives being thrown around), but a 200 game captain, All-Australian & proven elite AFL mid in a prime age bracket for an unproven, #1 draft pick KPF is a pretty fair deal considering both players want it to happen.

Back under your rock now, come out when Carlton are out of their ~15 year rebuild :)

I think trade him to any club BUT the dogs. I don't mean that In any way to piss off bulldogs supporters, he said he wants to play in Melbourne so don't let him dictate where we send him. Saints for pick 1
Can't do it Simmo. While he's contracted, they can only trade him to another club with his consent.
It's simple really, Boyd and Griffen both have desired destinations and their current clubs are crying "disloyal" about both of them. The venom on this board for Boyd and likewise for Griffen on the Bullies board makes it fairly obvious that neither would be desirable where they are now. What is the point of not getting the deal done?
Somewhere in the trade/picks see-saw there is a balance that gets it finalised. Both clubs will have mixed emotions but they will move on knowing they have secured a player that wants to be a part of both their inevitable climbs up the ladder. If they both stop posturing, there may even still be time to work some other trades before deadline too!

Not sure why my reply was deleted but whatever.

We didn't tap up another clubs captain for 6 months & then announce he wanted a move before his own club to break the news. Do you really think that we should bow down to GWS for dragging our club through the mud to get Griffen?? I can't see how we are trying to bend them over. There will need to be something else involved (hence the term steak knives being thrown around), but a 200 game captain, All-Australian & proven elite AFL mid in a prime age bracket for an unproven, #1 draft pick KPF is a pretty fair deal considering both players want it to happen.

Back under your rock now, come out when Carlton are out of their ~15 year rebuild :)

Expect you've been in Boyd's ear at least since the season ended. Griffen is 28 and at the tail end of his career. He has not scope for improvement. Nobody is saying that you're club should bow down to GWS, but Griffen > Boyd straight swap (even with "knives") is a massively lopsided trade in your favor.

Also how on earth is a player that is 28+ in his prime age bracket? Nice dig at Carlton by the way, when was the last time you guys won a Premiership? 50 odd years ago I think. Go and fade off to obscurity again until one of your players has a little bit too much to snort and then sweep that under the rug!

Go the giants!

The venom on this board for Boyd and likewise for Griffen on the Bullies board makes it fairly obvious that neither would be desirable where they are now. What is the point of not getting the deal done?
Don't really see any venom on this board towards Boyd, the worst slur may have been an 'unwarranted sense of entitlement'. Mild ouch!
He'll have to re-double his efforts to fit in at Homebush. Every good game he plays increases his 2015-16 trade value. I think the coaching staff should be comfortable with that. It works that way in NRL & EPL.

He'd want to have a good year ;)

Nah, doesn't matter - he's still a second year KPF taken at #1 in the draft. People expect him not to set the world on fire. He won't lose value unless he suffers a major injury or has crazy off-field issues.

Can't do it Simmo. While he's contracted, they can only trade him to another club with his consent.
It's simple really, Boyd and Griffen both have desired destinations and their current clubs are crying "disloyal" about both of them. The venom on this board for Boyd and likewise for Griffen on the Bullies board makes it fairly obvious that neither would be desirable where they are now. What is the point of not getting the deal done?
Somewhere in the trade/picks see-saw there is a balance that gets it finalised. Both clubs will have mixed emotions but they will move on knowing they have secured a player that wants to be a part of both their inevitable climbs up the ladder. If they both stop posturing, there may even still be time to work some other trades before deadline too!

Ahhhh didn't realise that.

The problem with your logic is that over the next 12 months, Boyd gains in value while Griffen loses value.

Yeah, Tom Boyd is unhappy over the next 12 months ... but thats 12 months for other teams to get together their war chest to bid. And, remember, with teams able to prepay experienced players, you're effectively able to trade the cap room to pay that player.

On the other hand, Ryan Griffen loses value.

The best deal for the Doggies is still sending him to GWS, in exchange for a high end draft pick, with the option of sending his cap room for another high end draft pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back