Remove this Banner Ad

Top Dog quits!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lidge
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

🥰 Love BigFooty? Join now for free.

Lidge

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts RIP
Joined
Feb 28, 2003
Posts
15,060
Reaction score
81
Location
Qantas Club Lounge
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Washington Generals
Mortimer resigns as Bulldogs chief
March 22, 2004 - 11:51AM


Outgoing chief of the Bulldogs Steve Mortimer.
Picture: Robert Pearce

Bulldogs chief executive Steve Mortimer today resigned from the National Rugby League club.

Mortimer also resigned as director of the club in the wake of the recent sex scandal.

He said: "The last few weeks have been traumatic and gut-wrenching for all concerned, but now is the time for healing, and for those who genuinely care about the club to turn their attention and energy to rebuilding it."

Club chairman George Peponis acknowledged Mortimer's contribution to the club over more than two decades.

"I would like to acknowledge Steve's integrity, his leadership and his honesty," Peponis said.

"He is taking himself off the field so that the Bulldogs can go forward."

The Bulldogs are under police investigation over the alleged sexual assault of a woman at Coffs Harbour on February 22. Mortimer is the second casualty of the scandal with football manager Garry Hughes sacked last week for failing to enforce the club's code of conduct.

It was confirmed yesterday that Hughes will begin legal proceedings against the National Rugby League club this week over his dismissal.

And Bulldogs players Willie Mason and Brent Sherwin were fined - and subsequently appealed - $10,000 and $5,000 respectively for their failure to wear appropriate attire to police interviews while several others had $5000 suspended fines placed on them.

- AAP
 
smells of being pushed to me. The bulldogs want to find scapegoats, but the players are not amongst them :rolleyes:

Why else would they sack Garry Hughes. He was the one who told them to dress properly for the police interviews. Now apart from physically dressing these bruts himself, what more could he have done? and he is the one getting the chop for willie mason (aka cab bolter) not dressing properly for a friggen police enquiry.
 
this whole thing really sucks big time.

Although not the biggest League fan of all time i am a Bulldogs fan, and its a dissapointment of the highest order.

It's been handled poorly.

As Nicko said, we're looking for scapegoats but we don't seem to be pointing the blame at the players responsible for this.

It will be very interesting to see who the guys are. I've heard rumours of who they are but wouldn't say cause i don't know how credible they are.
 

Log in to remove this Banner Ad

The two main guys responsible for Garry Hughes getting the chop were Willie Mason (big angry afro dude) and Brent Sherwin. Their names have been publicly released.

As for the main guy involved with the rape investigation, i've heard from many people who he is, but again, could be a case of chinese whispers.

I'm not sure why the club aren't standing the players currently under investigation down. Not only did they break club policy whilst on tour (reason enough), they are involved with criminal proceedings. The G-G had to stand down in light of a criminal investigation, so did the former governor of NSW, but not football players.
 
obviously the players are not at fault for anything that ever happens at the bulldogs :rolleyes:

it's just so easy to hate them, players and supporters alike.
 

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

🥰 Love BigFooty? Join now for free.

Back
Top Bottom