Top five most pretentious commercials

Remove this Banner Ad

sussudio

Team Captain
Jun 27, 2002
AFL Club
Collingwood
there's a few around at the moment, but the ones below I think are particularly bad.

1. Gainsville Furniture

Premise: Furnish your apartment with designer furniture. Stupid pretentious music playing in the background. Guy and girl, dressed to the nines, shopping in the store, then going back to their yuppy apartment to admire their furniture. I want to staple things to the guy's head; he is dressed all in black, with a black top with silver hoops. total poseur.

2. Ferrero Rocher Chocolates

Premise: C ocktail party in a swan ky apartment. Voice-over proclaims that the hostess has travelled all around the world, has lots of style and class, so naturally, she now serves Ferrero Rocher - the "gift of good taste". chocolates are arranged in a pyramid and served up by a buff dude in black. who the **** serves chocolates this way??

3. Nokia 7210

Premise: Night club scene. A dude called Rex Bannister is draped by a few model types. He says that he used to be a dog. yes, literally - a dog; the scene pans to a white fluffy dog being taken for a walk. however since he got a Nokia 7210 mobile phone, he is now not only human, but a certified sex god. I guess anyone who gets a 7210 can be one too.

4. LG Electronics

Premise: Attractive model types enjoying various electrical appliances, fridge, TV, oven. Always in swan ky apartments/houses. the straw that broke my back was when a woman used an LG vacuum cleaner's suction to prevent her hubby from taking off in his Mazda RX-7, so that he can do a bit of vacuuming.

5. MacDonalds

Premise: Things that make you go mmmmm. 'nuff said.

Here's a couple more

The Colgate Ad where the Mum shows Dad (with new job), Son (with a chickie babe) and daughter (without front teeth) that Colgate is the best for all of their individual needs. What about that cheezy singing - Oh, the whole ad is CHEEZY!

The Ferrero Rocher Christmas Ad, with the family around the Chocolate tree - 'Give the Gift You Love to Receive'.......whatever!

This may not class as pretentious, but it gives me the ****S -
The AQIS Quarantine Ads starring Steve Irwin.....

-The guy lives in America
- He's married to an American
- He only comes back here occasionally
- He makes us look like morons
- He annoys the crap out of me!

CRIKEY!

There's one (of many) ad that really gets on my ****. Some bitch jumps in a taxi and uses this anti-perspirant wipe thing. While she is wiping herself, she is giving this face like she is sitting on top of Gene Simmons. The dirty bastard taxi driver is getting off on it in the front and then she gives him this wipe thing that has all her sweat on it???????????????????

An absolute tragedy of an ad.

The LG ad where the kids frost up the window with the air conditioner to reveal 'Happy Birthday Mom' written on the said window with their fingers.

a) Kids would never go to that trouble;
b) It's during the day, what about in the morning you little bastards?;
c) Makes me wanna hurl. As if any mother is that young and good looking with a good looking husband and kids old enough to be able to think of an idea like this, and to be able to afford such an air conditioner.

Yes, I took the grumpy cynic pills this morning.

The Hitman

Originally posted by The Hitman
The LG ad where the kids frost up the window with the air conditioner to reveal 'Happy Birthday Mom' written on the said window with their fingers.

a) Kids would never go to that trouble;
b) It's during the day, what about in the morning you little bastards?;
c) Makes me wanna hurl. As if any mother is that young and good looking with a good looking husband and kids old enough to be able to think of an idea like this, and to be able to afford such an air conditioner.

Yes, I took the grumpy cynic pills this morning.

The Hitman

It's marketed to the yuppie eastern suburbs family. Young good looking smart rich it's got all the classic stereotypes of a yuppie family.

And the thing is these appliances sell at yuppie prices as well..

Nothing beats Maccas and the things that make you go mmm campaign. The people used are plastic just like the cheese they put in their cheeseburgers. And that tradesmen with the afro...

Do cocaine sniffing advertising people really think these concepts really sell their product?

If anything these ads have made us more cynical

:eek:

Originally posted by Frosties_Flank

Do cocaine sniffing advertising people really think these concepts really sell their product?

Unfortunately this crap does sell. People are basically stupid and are attracted to anything that is glamorous. People love to be surrounded by glamorous things.

Have you noticed all the filmclips on Video Hits? All glamorous looking models, dancing in sync, in front of a pool, that is in front of a ferarri, that is in front of a mansion. Looks completely fake and stupid to some of us, but that's what the general public like.

Dynasty? Melrose Place? 90210? Dallas? Any of these ring a bell? Once again, people respond to glamour - no matter how ridiculous.

Anyone noticed that only good looking people get on TV shows (bar the Osbournes)? I have watched some shows and purposely looked at the background to see if I could spot any ugly people as extras. Nup, even the extras are usually beutiful people as well.

The biggest thing that makes me laugh - the middle aged female battler who has the battler's chip on her shoulder. Always whinging about the govt and the rich, but come 5.30pm she is racing home with her copy of Who magazine to watch The Bold and Beautiful and read up on the Royals and other glamorous people. Somewhat of a major contradiction, but it happens all the time.

What type of boring lives do all those who criticise these ads live.

Whats wrong witgh living in the inner city.Whats wrong with apartment living? Whats wrong with aspirations? Whats wrong with a guy who has made a susccess of his life (steve irwin) it didn't cost you anything did it.

As for the good looking mum with the kids - i really can't see what is wrong with that. Just because these type of people don't live in your life - don't think they don't exist.

Marketing people are much more interested in these people than the chip on the shoulder type !!!!!!

Ypou mean the Groove Armada film clips. What esle can be said about this band? they apeal to latte sipping set.

"We usually only go to the north shore and Eastern Suburbs to find talent b/c Rich men marry beautiful woman and produce beautiful babies. That is a quality you cannot find in the southern and western suburbs" A ad exec quoted when asked where they find models and actors for their campaigns.

Originally posted by peejay
What type of boring lives do all those who criticise these ads live.

Whats wrong witgh living in the inner city.Whats wrong with apartment living? Whats wrong with aspirations? Whats wrong with a guy who has made a susccess of his life (steve irwin) it didn't cost you anything did it.

As for the good looking mum with the kids - i really can't see what is wrong with that. Just because these type of people don't live in your life - don't think they don't exist.

Marketing people are much more interested in these people than the chip on the shoulder type !!!!!!

Die yuppie scum.

It's marketed to the yuppie eastern suburbs family.
I disagree. It's marketed more to the average family because it covers a wider range of people. Why would they market to yuppies who are a minority?

As I said in my previous post, people respond to this type of crap. People have a perception (usually subconcious) of where they stand in the class stakes. If you show them something that they consider less classy than their expectation, they will not buy. They will however respond to something that is higher in class than their expectation (once again, subconsciously).

The idea is, when they see the LG ad, they can buy glamour when they buy whitegoods. They subconsciously see themsleves equal to these galmorous people or happy families.

Extremely sad when you think about it.

Die yuppie scum.

Well that shows a certain something - knee jerk reaction. I am not what you might call a "yuppie" but what is wrong with being a yuppie i ask you.

I am very happy with my position in life - i guess that is the secret to it all.

No they're not. They are interested in the biggest market, which excludes both rich and poor. The are interested in the average people because there are many more average people than the other two groups. They market glamorous things to these average people, because that is what these people respond to.

Originally posted by bunsen burner
I disagree. It's marketed more to the average family because it covers a wider range of people. Why would they market to yuppies who are a minority?

As I said in my previous post, people respond to this type of crap. People have a perception (usually subconcious) of where they stand in the class stakes. If you show them something that they consider less classy than their expectation, they will not buy. They will however respond to something that is higher in class than their expectation (once again, subconsciously).

The idea is, when they see the LG ad, they can buy glamour when they buy whitegoods. They subconsciously see themsleves equal to these galmorous people or happy families.

Extremely sad when you think about it.

But isn't the 'average' family more likely to be working on a budget anyway? Wouldn't they be always looking for the cheaper split system air conditioning, something LG is not? Subconscoius or not, when they see the price, the 'average' family will definitely buy the cheaper unit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that shows a certain something - knee jerk reaction. I am not what you might call a "yuppie" but what is wrong with being a yuppie i ask you.

I am very happy with my position in life - i guess that is the secret to it all.

I am comfy as well. I have all the mod cons and I live in a s****y place. But I am the most down to earth guy and I don't mind walking down Double Bay with shorts and rubber thongs and hair unkempt just to **** the ppl off. The stares i get are funny.

Yuppies on the other hand..image is everything the rest is well secondary really.

Originally posted by happy_in_hell
But isn't the 'average' family more likely to be working on a budget anyway? Wouldn't they be always looking for the cheaper split system air conditioning, something LG is not? Subconscoius or not, when they see the price, the 'average' family will definitely buy the cheaper unit.

That is so true. Why i made a reference to Eastern Suburbs folk.

You've missed the whole point. We all know these people exist (some of them), and I don't believe we have a problem with them (I certainly don't). The point is that some of these ads are so obviosly superficial, and many people don't see it (probably yourself).

BTW: In real life, do you really think a glamorous girl is going to jump in the back of a taxi and wipe herself down with a 'wet-ones looking thing' while seductively eyeing up the fat hairy sweaty 50 yo cab driver?

I guess it might be a different world in Sydney, so i cannot speak with any authority on what you say frostie.

I will agree to respect your judgement. (Mary is still great - those little whisps of grey - deliberate may i add - just add to her - i think she would smoulder )

Originally posted by bunsen burner

BTW: In real life, do you really think a glamorous girl is going to jump in the back of a taxi and wipe herself down with a 'wet-ones looking thing' while seductively eyeing up the fat hairy sweaty 50 yo cab driver?

No - so i ask you do you think television advertising is "in real life"

No No No and NO!

Are you not aware of the credit card debt in this country? Statistics show that the average household spend more than they earn throughout their lifetime. I'm sorry, but the 'average' family spends more than they can afford. Simple common knowledge.

Do you really belive that the 'average' family keep to their budget? That little bit of advertising glamour is one BIG reason why the 'average' family overspend their budget and are in debt.

No - so i ask you do you think television advertising is "in real life"
No I don't, and this is the whole point of the thread.

You're basically at a tangent to everyone else.

I think the ads are targeted at people for whom image and other such superficialities are important. they don't necessarily have to be rich. they are sending a message - you too can be glamourous, if you use these products. that is not to say that the products are bad. I am more peeved at the image that they're trying to convey - ostentatious, showy, pretentious. style without substance basically.

Do you also really believe that standard companies such as LG (who aren't as exclusive as you make out) target yuppies in their advertising? I would think it would be more likely that they would target the group that is largest in size - the average person/family.

Maybe our perceptions of what a yuppy is are different? Maybe you think that all these average families who buy LG have progressed to the yuppy status because they have bought LG and are therefore akin to the glamorous people in the ads?

Go on, treat yourself to LG and then you can be in the elite yuppy group with glamorous people such as myself (I have an authentic LG TV you know).

Originally posted by sussudio
I think the ads are targeted at people for whom image and other such superficialities are important. they don't necessarily have to be rich. they are sending a message - you too can be glamourous, if you use these products. that is not to say that the products are bad. I am more peeved at the image that they're trying to convey - ostentatious, showy, pretentious. style without substance basically.
Bingo. We have a winner.

hehe...I have an LG fridge, but I am not like the people in the ads, i.e. model types :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back