Tour De France 2014 Stage 9: Gerardmer - Mulhouse

Remove this Banner Ad

Last night saw a bit of a sorting out of the GC contenders, with Contador attacking with about 2km to go, Nibali sticking with him and the others, led my Porte, brining up the rear. It was a good stage win by Blel Kadri. No doubt the KOTM is now his goal, so expect to see him in the break as often as possible. In fact, it was a good night all round for AG2R, with 3 riders (Kadri, Peraud and Bardet) all finishing top 10 on the stage.

Current Jersey Leaders
Yellow:
Vincenzo Nibali (AST)
White: Michal Kwiatkowski (OPQ)
Green: Peter Sagan (CAN)
Polkadot: Blel Kadri (ALM)
Lantern Rouge: Edward King (CAN)
Team: Astana

Stage-9-Map.jpg

PROFIL.png

• Km 11.5 - Col de la Schlucht (1 140 m)8.6 kilometre-long climb at 4.5% - category 2
  • Km 41.0 - Col du Wettstein7.7 kilometre-long climb at 4.1% - category 3
  • Km 70.0 - Côte des Cinq Châteaux4.5 kilometre-long climb at 6.1% - category 3
  • Km 86.0 - Côte de Gueberschwihr (559 m)4.1 kilometre-long climb at 7.9% - category 2
  • Km 120.0 - Le Markstein (1 183 m)10.8 kilometre-long climb at 5.4% - category 1
  • Km 127.0 - Grand Ballon1.4 kilometre-long climb at 8.6% - category 3
PROFILKMS.png

General Classification after Stage 8
ITA 1 NIBALI, Vincenzo (ASTANA) 33:48:52
DEN 2 FUGLSANG, Jakob (ASTANA) + 1:44
AUS 3 PORTE, Richie (SKY) + 1:58
POL 4 KWIATKOWSKI, Michal (OMEGA PHARMA - QUICK-STEP) + 2:26
ESP 5 VALVERDE BELMONTE, Alejandro (MOVISTAR) + 2:27
ESP 6 CONTADOR VELASCO, Alberto (TINKOFF-SAXO) + 2:34
FRA 7 BARDET, Romain (AG2R LA MONDIALE) + 2:39
POR 8 FARIA DA COSTA, Rui Alberto (LAMPRE - MERIDA) + 2:52
NED 9 MOLLEMA, Bauke (BELKIN) + 3:02
BEL 10 VAN DEN BROECK, Jurgen (LOTTO BELISOL)

Tonight will be a super tough stage for those who are not good climbers. The stage essentially begins at the bottom of a category 2 climb. If a rider gets unhitched here, there is no coming back. The auto bus will have their work cut out for them to survive tonight, especially if the peleton continues at the high speeds it has been riding at thus far. Astana will allow a breakaway to go again, as long as there are no dangerous riders present. I'd expect Kadri to have a crack again, even if he just survives over the first few climbs, just to help him in the KOTM category. It's really tough to pick a winner for tonight, as there is a decent flat section before the finish line, allowing a regrouping of sorts after the climbs. I'll say Michal Kwiatkowski. If he wins, everything will be coming up Mulhouse (sorry, I just had to :) )

Watch for: Moto 3 being kept busy, picking up images of riders dropping out of the back of the peleton.

Conversation regarding past cases of PED use or innuendo surrounding current riders will not be tolerated. This thread is specifically about Stage 9 of the 2014 Tour de France, so let's keep it that way.

Last edited:
a question that may have been asked or is loathed to be answered, is there anyhwere I can watch before the SBS coverage starts?

a question that may have been asked or is loathed to be answered, is there anyhwere I can watch before the SBS coverage starts?
steephill.tv have a number of legal streaming options. Eurosport is a good one, not sure whether it starts early or not.

Try the SBS website. I haven't checked it out, but they frequently start streaming the coverage long before they start broadcasting it.

s
sbs cycling central app for iphone and ipad is fantastic with pre-stage warm up procession Gabriel Gate etc

Think we might see a few of the Garmin boys try get in the break in the hope Talansky can bridge later in the stage. The first 10kms will be the best of the night I think, and we won't get to see it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im curious, which position is better aero wise? Tucked on the drops with your ass high in the seat, or tucked with your hands on the flat bar and ass down on the top tube?
Having tried down on bar that is crazy unstable

There is a ton of research now into negative pressure lift similar to F1 being able to drive upside down to use air disturbances as a positive force. I have not seen any trial where they use the on the bar method. With my shoulders it counts for little anyway. Sit behind me for a zero effort ride

Remove this Banner Ad

Back