Sport Tour de France

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that was an interesting stage. Controversy all round. My view. Cav held his line and moved up into space which was progressively shut down by Sagan. Sagan clearly moved left to right on the overhead and this I believe is worthy of a penalty. DQ'd though. Not too sure.

On other cycling news, the TDU stages have been released with a few changes to last years course. Looks like the hotel hunting starts!

Well that was an interesting stage. Controversy all round. My view. Cav held his line and moved up into space which was progressively shut down by Sagan. Sagan clearly moved left to right on the overhead and this I believe is worthy of a penalty. DQ'd though. Not too sure.

On other cycling news, the TDU stages have been released with a few changes to last years course. Looks like the hotel hunting starts!
They want to make a statement with Sagan I think but I believe he did deserve a harsh punishment for sure. DQ is fairly harsh but not uncalled for really. He's been fairly aggressive lately & at some point illegal bumping & barging your way through like that will come unstuck. The elbow was the thing that did him in though I reckon. Horrific look for the sport that they'll want to stamp out immediately. Hope he learns a lesson out of it & I hope Cav is going to be ok (looked really bad though).

TDU 20th anniversary mate!! Pumped. Have already locked in a spot for the 20th (Willunga Hill).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what do we think? Is Richie the real deal or was last night a sign of what's to come? It was only 4 seconds, but Froome did power past him.

BMC did the right thing yesterday and set a really quick tempo. It is the only way to beat Froome.
They (& Movistar & Trek & anyone else) have to keep setting a really quick tempo in every stage so that it becomes a true battle of the climbers.
If that is the case IMO Richie can beat Froome.

Froome for me looks too strong but it was interesting that when push came to shove his team fell away in pretty quick succession. If Porte truly is in career best form, he could do it and with a bit of legal assistance from Orica-Scott could be helped to break or at least tire Froome as Yates is also within striking distance. Part of me thinks it's just going to be a Sky parade all the way to Paris though.

BMC did the right thing yesterday and set a really quick tempo. It is the only way to beat Froome.
They (& Movistar & Trek & anyone else) have to keep setting a really quick tempo in every stage so that it becomes a true battle of the climbers.
Hoping Quintana (or Sunbeam as I have affectionately nicknamed him... A derivative of Sultana) can find some legs and fight back on a few big mountain finishes... Then, I'm hoping Richie grabs his wheel & can blow past Froome & the other GC guys into yellow.

Also great to see Yates in white I reckon.

I feel BMC wanted the breakaway brought in, to bring more attacks and chaos on the final climb. That was their card to play today.

After that was inevitable, Froome's team managed to tempo the last climb til only 1.5km out, shutting down the opportunity for gains, because they're boring and Sky always excert themselves climb 1, but that won't happen/be possible every stage, Porte still looks good, and a bit of shadow play really with Froome at the end.

Aru was great though, Quintanta a bit dusty, Contador losing little time was pleasing too

Just a small patch in the rich tapestry that's still to unfold

I feel BMC wanted the breakaway brought in, to bring more attacks and chaos on the final climb. That was their card to play today.

After that was inevitable, Froome's team managed to tempo the last climb til only 1.5km out, shutting down the opportunity for gains, because they're boring and Sky always excert themselves climb 1, but that won't happen/be possible every stage, Porte still looks good, and a bit of shadow play really with Froome at the end.

Aru was great though, Quintanta a bit dusty, Contador losing little time was pleasing too

Just a small patch in the rich tapestry that's still to unfold

In the Vuelta last year by sheer luck Contador and Quintana got into a break with about 10 others and they set a cracking pace with Sky complaining to the other teams to help chase, eventually some of the other teams helped but it broke them all and Froome was left with no team mates to help him at the end.

Sky want to race at their tempo, which suits them and especially Froome. Their tempo is pretty quick and it breaks the other teams.
The only way to beat Sky IMO is to make the race faster than their tempo. That way everyone is cooked and its climber v climber at the end.

That kind of racing will suit Richie because he used to sit in front of Froome doing that kind of thing for Team Sky.
With a sit in behind team mates without doing all that work, IMO he can beat Froome up the mountains. So can a few others (Aru, Contador, Quintana ,Bardet and a few others).

Will be a fascinating race, especially with it being not so flat this year.

In the Vuelta last year by sheer luck Contador and Quintana got into a break with about 10 others and they set a cracking pace with Sky complaining to the other teams to help chase, eventually some of the other teams helped but it broke them all and Froome was left with no team mates to help him at the end.

Sky want to race at their tempo, which suits them and especially Froome. Their tempo is pretty quick and it breaks the other teams.
The only way to beat Sky IMO is to make the race faster than their tempo. That way everyone is cooked and its climber v climber at the end.

That kind of racing will suit Richie because he used to sit in front of Froome doing that kind of thing for Team Sky.
With a sit in behind team mates without doing all that work, IMO he can beat Froome up the mountains. So can a few others (Aru, Contador, Quintana ,Bardet and a few others).

Will be a fascinating race, especially with it being not so flat this year.

Agree,

but Sky would have let the breakaway go to take the sting out of any stage hopefuls in the peloton

Cracking stage last night, tense, cramps nearly did the young gun on the finish

Big GC stage tonight potentially, for those watching part time, worth a tune in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back