Tour de France

Remove this Banner Ad

Loving this years Tour, last night was huge! Plenty of winning chances and are all having their moments, it's great competition. Not like previous years where it was as good as Le Tour De Discovery Channel. Imagine if Ullrich, Basso and Valverde were all riding too.

Go Cadel. :)

Last nights stage frustrated me as it showed that cadel can keep up with kloden despite losing about one and a half minutes over l'alpe-d'huez two nights ago. Had he not struggled over this mountain id have him at outright favorite. Currently any of the top 5 maybe even menchov can still win this race

Very true. I obviously want either Evans or Pereiro to win, but my pick is sastre, over all the climbs so far he is the one that has stood out for me and i think he will win tonights stage and be in yellow come paris :thumbsu:

No one mentioning Rasmussen, but that was an awesome stage win.

Last night was the most entertaining stage imo. I would love to know what they were thinking when Sastre attacked on the last mountain. IIRC that was the attack that broke Landis and the look on the T-Mobile guys faces when Sastre swooped past was priceless.

Pereiro will take some catching. Would love to see Evans try to dictate though. Tonight is set up to be great.

Darealrath said:
Would love to see Evans try to dictate though.

Same! Instead of waiting for other riders to attack and going with them i think he needs to attack and make Kloden, Sastre, Pereiro etc. chase him!

Guido17 said:
Same! Instead of waiting for other riders to attack and going with them i think he needs to attack and make Kloden, Sastre, Pereiro etc. chase him!

He hasn't tried it all tour. If he was waiting for the opportune moment this is it.

Landis looks like he's having a go....

This is good for Cadel I think, because if he can attack and catch Landis on the final climb then they will be able to share the load and both claw back time. Landis won't be a real threat to Cadel if he can stay with him, he's just too far behind.

waspy said:
Landis looks like he's having a go....

This is good for Cadel I think, because if he can attack and catch Landis on the final climb then they will be able to share the load and both claw back time. Landis won't be a real threat to Cadel if he can stay with him, he's just too far behind.
doesnt look like he will - its a great learning curve for the guy - he will get better

landis group is now over 5 seconds with landis in it

Horrible tactics by the peloton. Landis was the strongest time trialist first time round and now their putting him back in yellow. Someone has to organise the peloton or all the good work from yesterday will be wiped away. Even if he doesnt get yellow letting him back into the race could prove fatal.

Great ride by Landis today.

Pereiro keeps yellow
Sastre at 12 sec
Landis at 30 sec
Kloden at 2' 29
Evans at 3' 08
Menchov at 4' 14

Looks like it'll be down to 3 come the time trial on Sat night, unless one of the top few can break away tomorrow on a flattish stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What an absolutely fantastic race by Landis :thumbsu: . I'm all for him now, great guy! He might have written Tour history today, I think this is the most exciting Tour since '89 anyway.

Apart from being an Aussie, I don't see any other reason to support Evans btw. Great fight, but what a boring wheel sucking cyclist he is :( . I believe he's at his maximum, at 29 the Tour shouldn't be part of your learning curve.

Kompany said:
What an absolutely fantastic race by Landis :thumbsu: . I'm all for him now, great guy! He might have written Tour history today, I think this is the most exciting Tour since '89 anyway.

Apart from being an Aussie, I don't see any other reason to support Evans btw. Great fight, but what a boring wheel sucking cyclist he is :( . I believe he's at his maximum, at 29 the Tour shouldn't be part of your learning curve.

fair go mate, the guy does brilliantly considering he hardly has anyone around him from his team helping him. he has to resort to that style of riding as he does not get the help that his rivals get from stronger teams such as T-Mobile, Phonak, CSC and even Caisse d'Espargne. The riders from these teams get the help, Horner and the other helpers from Lotto arent good enough to cope so instead of using his teammates, Cadel is smart and uses his rivals, if he didnt ride in such a way he;d have no hope, great tour and top 5 is brilliant, with a better team around him you never know!

dspeed said:
fair go mate, the guy does brilliantly considering he hardly has anyone around him from his team helping him. he has to resort to that style of riding as he does not get the help that his rivals get from stronger teams such as T-Mobile, Phonak, CSC and even Caisse d'Espargne. The riders from these teams get the help, Horner and the other helpers from Lotto arent good enough to cope so instead of using his teammates, Cadel is smart and uses his rivals, if he didnt ride in such a way he;d have no hope, great tour and top 5 is brilliant, with a better team around him you never know!

Yeah but honestly, who does Landis have? Yesterday he only had an exhausted Merckx (who's far from great) and today he was all by himself.

Evans makes me think of Zoetemelk. Always following but never being strong enough to do anything himself. It doesn't really bother me, but he's far from popular amongst the neutral fans.

No doubt it's a great achievement of course :thumbsu: , but he doesn't deserve much better imho.

After bagging Landis all tour, i now have a lot of respect for the man! Smply sensational ride. In the back of my mind i always knew he was going to attack but i didn't think the peloton would let him get away.

Before last night's stage Landis was paying $51 to win the yellow jersey, why didn't i put a couple of dollars on that????

As we've seen throughout the tour anything can happen, still 3 stages to go, who know's what will happen??

Guido17 said:
Before last night's stage Landis was paying $51 to win the yellow jersey, why didn't i put a couple of dollars on that????

Liggett mentioned on the commentary tonight that Eddy Merckx put $100 on Landis to win the stage @ $75-1 after Axel told him that Landis was confident of bouncing back and was going to go on the attack. Surely that has to be illegal!

It's a pity Robbie couldn't finish the tour off in style.

Congrats to Landis - that was a sentation. To win it with a busted hip is an courageous and increadible effort :eek:

What a great tour by the Aussies - I was thinking about it and we should be proud...

Robbie McEwen - third green jursey

Cadel Evans and Micheal Rogers - their greatest ever TDF finish and the first time two Aussies in the top ten

Stuart O’Grady - showed tremendus heart and courage to finish the tour. The tour is tough enough when your fit but with a back injury...:eek:

Don't forget Simon Gerrans :eek:
He had a pretty good tour, no big results but did a lot of work for his team.

Just out of interest, does anyone else here race at all, or does anyone follow any other tours or races during the year.
It would be good to get threads going for Tour of Spain, World Champs and stuff.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back